Thread: Statistics for murders, where to get this info?

Default Statistics for murders, where to get this info?

How do I check for statistics of homicides in Singapore? Been seeing a lot of murders in the papers this year...

Default Re: Statistics for murders, where to get this info?

Hmm SPF, Dept of Statistics, Min of Hme Affairs, SPH?

That's a classified information. LOL!

classified info. even when the news report the stats, i wonder how much of it is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    classified info. even when the news report the stats, i wonder how much of it is accurate.
    25 murders this year....as written on the newspaper today..
    蓮花仙子

i think to classify as murder is when evidences are gathered and accused is proven guilty..
    other unnatural death..dunno liao..
    蓮花仙子

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    25 murders this year....as written on the newspaper today..
    thats not so bad. murders, unless its a serial killer, don't happen as often like other serious crimes like robbery, housebreaking, etc.

thats not so bad. murders, unless its a serial killer, don't happen as often like other serious crimes like robbery, housebreaking, etc.
    but but it seems more of the "i dun like your face, i stab u" cases
    蓮花仙子

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    but but it seems more of the "i dun like your face, i stab u" cases
    as long as its not "the whole world hates me. i will kill everyone" then its still not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    How do I check for statistics of homicides in Singapore? Been seeing a lot of murders in the papers this year...
    for what purpose would you be requiring the statistics for?

assuming you are using it for scholastic purposes. government's official bureau of Statistics would be a good place to start to get demographical data in terms of deaths per annum.

because murder is considered as a form of un-natural death, you may have a bit of a predicament sorting out from all forms of un-natural death. for that, you may want to write in to the Ministry of Home Affairs (who will probably point you towards the stats board). the government department registering all Births and Deaths will also be a good place to go to.

the very grey area right now would be the classification of death (un-natural versus murder, murder versus "murder", etc). because this is done by the corner post mortem, the figures normally get revised a few months AFTER the death itself. if death occurred prior to census figure release, and coroner decides to change 2 deaths to "death by foul play", you've just increased the murder stats for next year's death count. even though the deaths took place "last" year.

and if it isn't for scholastic purposes. well. poke around academic journals and archives. assuming you are bored enough to do so.
    chicken fight!

the phenomena of serial killer is actually a very rare thing.

I remember coming across studies that say the occurrence of every day "typical" murder is more common place than an "atypical" serial killer.

it's the sensational impact that serial killer gives that make it look more readily "available" than your average murderer.
    chicken fight!

thanks for all the info guys.
    It's just that I noticed so many cases of "unnatural death" in the newspapers this year that I was wondering what the real stats actually were.

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    the phenomena of serial killer is actually a very rare thing.

I remember coming across studies that say the occurrence of every day "typical" murder is more common place than an "atypical" serial killer.

it's the sensational impact that serial killer gives that make it look more readily "available" than your average murderer.
    got me thinking about the sniper serial killing in USA..was really something coming to you yet you never know when.

anyway to TS i think if you have friends in the SPF they might share their experiences on how frequent deaths occur, might not be surprising if suicide cases are equally high

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    got me thinking about the sniper serial killing in USA..was really something coming to you yet you never know when.

anyway to TS i think if you have friends in the SPF they might share their experiences on how frequent deaths occur, might not be surprising if suicide cases are equally high
    suicide figures in Singapore aren't that high for a "westernised" country. odd occurrence in Singapore is that, unlike everywhere else, the rate of adolescent female suicide is higher than adolescent male suicide. I'm talking about completed suicide and not attempted suicide (since it is shown that females have higher attempted but unsuccessful suicide rates, owning to their selection of less lethal means).

only other country in the world that has this trend (adolescent female > adolescent male) is in China. the rest, male > female in terms of suicide.

if I'm not mistaken... Singapore was 16th or 17th on the World Health Organisation (WHO) list. and like I mentioned earlier, these figures aren't the most accurate owing to the revision of figures by coroner inquests or the wrong classification of un-natural death instead of un-natural death (by suicide) (example will be person driving into a tree. mechanical fault, or attempted suicide?)
    chicken fight!

i imight have seen somewhere in the papers before that the average suicide or maybe attempts is more than 1 a day in singapore. maybe my memory did not serve me well but it was pretty alarming too.

are we so stressed?