Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you mean by Grey set?

Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

Quote Originally Posted by mareth View Post
    So is it true that if we brought a grey lens to NCS for repairs, they will not touch it?
    I don't think so. They would probably just charge you as out of warranty repairs.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

So is it true that if we brought a grey lens to NCS for repairs, they will not touch it?
    No, as long it is a Nikon lens, and as long it is repairable, they will repair it, grey lens or not, it is not an issue, grey lens = No Warranty.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Sorry for the ignorant question, but I still don't understand whether items that have international warranty, e.g. N/C lenses, Oly bodies, enjoy warranty on a local basis even when bought as a grey set.

Grey = no warranty card? Or with warranty card (from HK/JP/US)

I always thought that the warranty card didn't matter for items with international warranty, and the purchase receipt was more important since cards can be faked.

Any insights on this?
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

The easy way to tell whether it is a grey set or not is by the warranty card. e.g. if you bought a Nikon/Canon lens and it comes with the INTERNATIONAL warranty card from Nikon/Canon, then, this is NOT a grey set even if you bought it from overseas.

A grey set will have NO warranty card from the original manufacturer, only a receipt from the shop that sells you the item and perhaps with a writing on the receipt saying that it includes a one-year warranty provided by the shop (most of the time, this is not in black and white).

No, NSC will touch it and touch your wallet too
    Nikon D4 | AF-S 50mm 1.4G | AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (2.9x) | AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED | SB900

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    The easy way to tell whether it is a grey set or not is by the warranty card. e.g. if you bought a Nikon/Canon lens and it comes with the INTERNATIONAL warranty card from Nikon/Canon, then, this is NOT a grey set even if you bought it from overseas.

A grey set will have NO warranty card from the original manufacturer, only a receipt from the shop that sells you the item and perhaps with a writing on the receipt saying that it includes a one-year warranty provided by the shop (most of the time, this is not in black and white).
    Hmm alright, but do some manufacturers care about the warranty card? I thought that they only count your warranty status using your purchase receipt? Unless they do scan your serial number - that's another issue all together
    I need to cultivate my artistic eye!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12