Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: What do you mean by Grey set?

  1. #1

    Default What do you mean by Grey set?

    What do you mean by Grey sets? I'm intending to buy a Sigma 150-500mm, how do i look out if its a grey set or not?

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Grey means without the original warranty.

    The warranty may be provided for by the company selling the equipment.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon93 View Post
    how do i look out if its a grey set or not?

    You could ask them...

  4. #4

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon93 View Post
    What do you mean by Grey sets? I'm intending to buy a Sigma 150-500mm, how do i look out if its a grey set or not?
    It means it's neither black nor white.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Just look at the warranty card. If it is not issued in Singapore but is, instead, from HK or somewhere else then the chances are it is a grey set.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchwolf View Post
    Just look at the warranty card. If it is not issued in Singapore but is, instead, from HK or somewhere else then the chances are it is a grey set.
    if it comes with a warranty card and states HK,
    does it mean that there is still a chance it is grey?
    probably is export set right?
    i have owned 2 export equipments before: (1) MiJ lens from HK with HK warranty and international warranty papers with serial numbers printed, (2) mint body from Japan with all contents in Japanese only and Japanese warranty.
    one interesting thing I noticed is that Japanese warranty card looks completely different from local.
    =[toys+photography+reviews]=
    access: a day in the life of a be@rbrick

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    grey set means, that it is parallel imported and thus not from the local distributor and the warranty will not be valid locally.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    ic.... thanks for the heads up!
    grey = parallel import = export set

    my grey D200 body:

    warranty slip on top left, really look like an MC!

    but Nikkor lenses have international warranty slip, still considered grey?
    =[toys+photography+reviews]=
    access: a day in the life of a be@rbrick

  9. #9

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    It means it's neither black nor white.
    thought i will only see this reply in hwz

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thomson Road
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    You could ask them...
    what if some shops that are selling grey sets to unassuming customers? for nikon's case, if it comes with the card with "nikon singapore" printed on it, is it counted as local set?

  11. #11

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Aiyah!

    Everyone knows it's cut corners one mah!

    Black body or lens the materials chong on black dyes so come out grey.

    White lense also chong on white pigments so come out grey.

    That's why grey sets all cheaper mah!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Curious... where to find grey sets(beside the BnS in CS) in SG?

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by ch130176 View Post
    what if some shops that are selling grey sets to unassuming customers? for nikon's case, if it comes with the card with "nikon singapore" printed on it, is it counted as local set?
    if the shop is selling gray set but claim it is a local set, is consider cheating, I'm sure you will know what to do next.

    if in doubt, bring it to Nikon Sg.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious... where to find grey sets(beside the BnS in CS) in SG?
    Most major camera stores won't sell gray sets..... if a stores tell you a camera or lens has two prices, the lower one is the gray set, or you notice the price is much lower than known price, the shop maybe only offer gray sets.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Most major camera stores won't sell gray sets..... if a stores tell you a camera or lens has two prices, the lower one is the gray set, or you notice the price is much lower than known price, the shop maybe only offer gray sets.
    Thanks for the info.... curious beside the warranty card how do you tell that it is a grey set?

  16. #16
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Grey sets are still manufacturered by the original manufacturer so from the look of it, it will be exactly the same. However, for a particular model such as Canon XXXD, if it was imported from Japan, it will be called KISS and if the same is from USA, it will be branded as Rebel XT/XTi/Xsi etc...

    When people mentioned grey set, they usually refer to the shop warranty instead of manufacturer local warranty. Cameras from Canon and Nikon come with local warranty so if the warranty card shows Canon HK or Nikon HK, then you can consider these grey sets.

    It does not apply to the lenses as Canon and Nikon lenses has international warranty so even with a Canon HK or Nikon HK warranty card, you can still get warranty service from Singapore service centre. For the lens to be consider grey set (Canon and Nikon), they will not come with any warranty card, instead, the shop that sells you the lens will provide shop warranty so if there is a problem, you have to go back to the shop for servicing. The risk is that when you need to claim shop warranty, the shop might not be there to honor their shop warranty.

  17. #17

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Grey sets are still manufacturered by the original manufacturer so from the look of it, it will be exactly the same. However, for a particular model such as Canon XXXD, if it was imported from Japan, it will be called KISS and if the same is from USA, it will be branded as Rebel XT/XTi/Xsi etc...

    When people mentioned grey set, they usually refer to the shop warranty instead of manufacturer local warranty. Cameras from Canon and Nikon come with local warranty so if the warranty card shows Canon HK or Nikon HK, then you can consider these grey sets.

    It does not apply to the lenses as Canon and Nikon lenses has international warranty so even with a Canon HK or Nikon HK warranty card, you can still get warranty service from Singapore service centre. For the lens to be consider grey set (Canon and Nikon), they will not come with any warranty card, instead, the shop that sells you the lens will provide shop warranty so if there is a problem, you have to go back to the shop for servicing. The risk is that when you need to claim shop warranty, the shop might not be there to honor their shop warranty.
    Hmm. But you would need the HK receipt for the Canon lens, yes?
    Meow!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    I recently bought a grey lens. Quality wise no problem. I think the real crux is that if there's a problem during the warranty period, how was the problem resolved by the shop.

    Would anyone be able to share their experiences in owing grey stuff and the ease of getting them fixed?
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

  19. #19

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    no one had a grey set lense servicing experience?

  20. #20

    Default Re: What do you mean by Grey set?

    So is it true that if we brought a grey lens to NCS for repairs, they will not touch it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •