Thread: How to calibrate monitor/photoshop

Default How to calibrate monitor/photoshop

Dear all,

Can I ask, how can i calibrate my laptop?
    I went to a photo developing shop but when its deplay, its quite different from what i see in my laptop.

I had in fact downloaded the profile and use it in photoshop
    On my laptop it looks quite ok,
    but over there, its quite different.

Any one here can guide me how to set my photoshop pls.

Default Re: How to calibrate monitor/photoshop

visit http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3pro.php
    cost $245 for Spyder 3 Pro and $399 for Spyder 3 Elite. not sure about Spyder Elite. think around $150?

You don't set Photoshop or whatever tools you are using.
    Create a profile for you monitor using the various calibration tools (Spyder2, Spyder3 etc.) and let the profile load at system start. This will make sure that all colours that you see are exactly what they are supposed to look like according the digital data. This profile is only valid for your display and the video card that you were using during the profiling process. If you change monitor or video card you need to start from scratch with the profile creation.
    All applications like Aperture, Lightroom, PS etc. will use the system settings and the existing profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You don't set Photoshop or whatever tools you are using.
    Create a profile for you monitor using the various calibration tools (Spyder2, Spyder3 etc.) and let the profile load at system start. This will make sure that all colours that you see are exactly what they are supposed to look like according the digital data. This profile is only valid for your display and the video card that you were using during the profiling process. If you change monitor or video card you need to start from scratch with the profile creation.
    All applications like Aperture, Lightroom, PS etc. will use the system settings and the existing profile.
    Hi Octarine, just to clarify.
    What u had mentioned is to calibrate my monitor.
    But isnt my monitor suppose to be calibrated to the photo developer's printer's profile.
    So that when I adjust the colours of my photos to suit the printer's profile,
    and after i print, it will look like what i had adjusted on my laptop?

I am really confuse and blur.

Quote Originally Posted by magic1980 View Post
    But isnt my monitor suppose to be calibrated to the photo developer's printer's profile.
    So that when I adjust the colours of my photos to suit the printer's profile,
    and after i print, it will look like what i had adjusted on my laptop?
    No, you don't adjust your monitor to your printer. (Although logically it would work it would only work for this combination and even publishing pictures in Internet could result in shifted colours. Don't think further here...)
    Basics: No monitor shows exactly what is digitally feed into via cable. No printer prints exactly what is feed into it. Both have their own characteristics, the printer even depending on the paper used. These 'characteristics' are deviation from neutral and need to be offset because all parts of the colour editing work flow need to have a common reference point: being neutral to colours. That is done by profiling monitor and printer.
    Your monitor needs to show the right colours, that's why you need to start there. No point of editing any pictures if you don't see what is really there. You will end up adjusting pictures to your monitor but displaying them on any other monitor will result in shifted colours, wrong brightness etc. In result of monitor profiling you will get pictures which are free from any influence caused by the monitor. Any other correctly profiled monitor will show your pictures in the same way.
    Printers are profiled against the paper that is used for printing. This is to ensure that the colours are correctly printed and any characteristics of the printing paper are offset. Which also means: the digital input will result in correct output. If both stages are properly profiled the colours are correctly reproduced on screen as well as on paper.
    You might want to check the section Digital Darkroom, similar questions are discussed there.

Assuming you already have your monitor profiled,

Get the printer icc profile (self calibrated or obtained from your photo developer), load it into your PC
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles
    or on the mac, Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles

In photoshop, go to View->Proof setup->Custom
    and select the ICC profile of your printer/media combination
    Select "Simulate paper color" if your paper is off white.

With this, you close the loop between your printer/paper/monitor.
    Last edited by Montmelo; 3rd November 2008 at 12:02 AM.