Thread: DSLR dumped inside car boot. How damaging?

Default DSLR dumped inside car boot. How damaging?

hi all,

hehe.. first post in ClubSnap... just wanna ask all you veterans out there, my A350 was dumped in the car boot (hatchback type) for around 1 hour.. not exactly under big hot sun (IMM carpark 4th floor). of course all this done w/o my permission by my relatives (carpooling).

Then after i found out, i took some pic and the pic taken was abit reddish...

Are the reddish effect the result of 'cooking' my A350 in the boot or 'xing li zhuo yong'?
    Rig: Trusty (dusty) 6 years old Sony A350, Sony 16-105 lens, Sony Flash unit
    Nokia Lumia 1020

Default Re: DSLR dumped inside car boot. How damaging?

Hi there,

A DSLR (and its memory card, etc)can take much more than that. Leaving it in the bag in a car in a sheltered carpark won't do any damage, unless your relatives dropped a hard object on it.

Don't worry, I've put my car in the bag in the boot in the car in the sun for half a day, and there was no damage.

roger
    Nokia Lumia 1020

Do you have any samples to show the reddish cast?
    Most probably its a white balance problem..
    Sony A200 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 | Minolta 70-210 f/4(beercan) | HVL-F42AM

4th Storey IMM shouldn't get any direct sun, right?

Doubt it's due to the heat. Could be just setting issues.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Hi there,

A DSLR (and its memory card, etc)can take much more than that. Leaving it in the bag in a car in a sheltered carpark won't do any damage, unless your relatives dropped a hard object on it.

Don't worry, I've put my car in the bag in the boot in the car in the sun for half a day, and there was no damage.
    wah, can teach me how u do that? seems like an endless vicious loop...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLuver View Post
    hi all,

hehe.. first post in ClubSnap... just wanna ask all you veterans out there, my A350 was dumped in the car boot (hatchback type) for around 1 hour.. not exactly under big hot sun (IMM carpark 4th floor). of course all this done w/o my permission by my relatives (carpooling).

Are the reddish effect the result of 'cooking' my A350 in the boot or 'xing li zhuo yong'?
    u might wanna check your white balance and also if someone played with your settings like saturation levels...

cos i doubt the sensor will give redder pics when under the sun and bluer pics when you put them in a freezer.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Due to security reasons, we are not allowed to bring camera into office. My camera was in the bag, under double-cover in the car. Surprisingly, the camera was only a tad warm when I checked before driving off during lunchtime. Guess the solar film, and the tono cover helped.

Since then, the security dept had installed self-service lockers to deposit controlled items.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wah, can teach me how u do that? seems like an endless vicious loop...

Due to security reasons, we are not allowed to bring camera into office. My camera was in the bag, under double-cover in the car. Surprisingly, the camera was only a tad warm when I checked before driving off during lunchtime. Guess the solar film, and the tono cover helped.

Since then, the security dept had installed self-service lockers to deposit controlled items.
    I think he was refering to your typo:

I've put my car in the bag in the boot in the car

4th Storey IMM shouldn't get any direct sun, right?
    yep.. not much sunlight then (4pm)

as for the reddish pic i have yet to try W/B... the red effect is like 5% more than normal
    Nokia Lumia 1020

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLuver View Post
    hi all,

Just 1 hr wouldn't kill it, don't worry.

Oops! Too much speed typing...

Quote Originally Posted by jtchoy View Post
    I think he was refering to your typo:

That actually got me thinking, does the camera, memory card, battery manufacturers provide usable temperature range for their products?

Don't remember reading "usable temperature range" in the product brochures.

That actually got me thinking, does the camera, memory card, battery manufacturers provide usable temperature range for their products?

Don't remember reading "usable temperature range" in the product brochures.
    There is. I do believe it's referred to as "operating temperature", and is probably present in the user manual (but I think you have to look around a fair bit).

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    There is. I do believe it's referred to as "operating temperature", and is probably present in the user manual (but I think you have to look around a fair bit).
    there's none in sony's
    Nokia Lumia 1020

Try not to make a habit out of it, though.

Covered car park is okay. Outdoors sunny days for extended period of time definitely risky. And if hatchback type, the boot may heat up more due to "greenhouse effect".
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman