Thread: Flower

Default Flower

Hi,

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like some advice on the composition. I composed the picture to make the flower stand out.

Personally, I think the flower is not standing out enough. How do I make it better next time?

Some info
    Shutter Speed: 1/320, F2.2, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1, ISO 100, Focal Length 50.0 mm.

Thanks.

Default Re: Flower

basically you managed to achieve quite nice bokeh with your wide-aperture lens (50mm f1.8 set to F2.2??)

My main bug with this photo is the colours don't "jump" out at me. Nothing really striking. also the angle which you captured the flower doesn't make it look impressive. the leaf on the bottom right looks distracting. It should either be more prominent, or not be in the picture at all.
    Exploring! :)

I agree with ZerocoolAstra.
    You got the nice bokeh, you got it somewhat on focus. Now you got to practice. Shoot more, try viewing your subject from different angles if space allows you to. Find the angles you like, then start composing. Don't click yet. Compose. You got to learn a few rules of composition first. Then you do the settings. Focus and click.

Another thing, the stem isn't a very important contributor to the overall image. Maybe lose a little of the lower part of your shot, or go closer. You'll lose the distracting green leaf at the bottom as well. But for me, flora shots don't really impress anyway.

light is flat. u dun feel smoothness, curves, and crunchiness of the heliconia flowers. all u have is a flat messy orange and with each individual flower not well separated. The reason I think is the overcast sky under which u shot it. one solution is to use a fill-in off-cam flash from one side, and to set the exposure - manually if nec - so that u get as much dynamic range on the orange as possible.

as to the bokeh technical ok but aesthetically meaningless as it in no way complements the flower: not in shapes, not in colours, not in lines, etc and then there is that distracting edge of a pail(?) or pot(?) or?

then there are different angles to shoot the flower. just google or search some stock photo site for examples of other possible angles. but if you dont want to copy or imitate what others have done and want to come out with something original, then you can experiment, and there are an infinite number of angles u can shoot from, even without counting the infinite numbers of angles and number of lights u can use to illuminate the flower.

generally however the heliconia is not a popular flower for pictures, as in part it is not very photogenic - very messy flower.

This is one of my few attempts:

On hindsight, I think the bokeh was overdone. Hardly any of the background can be seen.
    And YET you managed to include a distracting white band at the bottom, cutting right across the photo (i think it's a pot or something).

My (ameteur) opinion is that macros of nice, bright, colourful flowers look best when the background is deep green leaves. That brings out the contrast.
    So you should have the leaves in some unusual formation forming the background, and the flower standing out in vivid colour.
    Exploring! :)

Hi, thanks for all your advice. I have anothor photo with green background. Is it better as compared to the first one?

I just picked up photography recently. There is still lots for me to learn. I will practice and shoot more. Thanks for all the time you spent to provide me with the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    basically you managed to achieve quite nice bokeh with your wide-aperture lens (50mm f1.8 set to F2.2??)
    Yes, I used 50mm f/1.8 and set to f/2.2.

It was also a bit cloudy during that time.

try placing a black card behind the subject, will result in cleaner photo.

Thanks everybody for the advices and comments.