Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: camera sensor.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Serangoon North Ave 4
    Posts
    55

    Default camera sensor.

    Hi All,
    Would like to know is there a possibility of damaging the sensor with the wrong settings.

    Started to play around in Manual mode.. and tends to forget that i have to regulate the settings.

    Had accidentally fire couple, or maybe alot, with photos that turn out completely white.... and some of them were directed into brightly lited area.
    so am wondering ... am I stressing the sensor????

    rgds

  2. #2

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    read up on Aperture, Shutter Speed and Exposure.

    I recommend using AV or TV mode to get a hang of manual settings before going Manual.

    dont worry about the sensor as its okay taking somewhat bright scenes, unless of course you are trying to photograph the sun at high noon in which case good luck and GG. dont know if the service center warranty will cover or not.
    I photograph the dead.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Serangoon North Ave 4
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    so U mean that it is still possible to damage the sensor!
    that is, if the camera is fire directly at the sun?????
    don't think anyone is crazy to do that , but just a question...

  4. #4

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Relax9386 View Post
    Hi All,
    Would like to know is there a possibility of damaging the sensor with the wrong settings.

    Started to play around in Manual mode.. and tends to forget that i have to regulate the settings.

    Had accidentally fire couple, or maybe alot, with photos that turn out completely white.... and some of them were directed into brightly lited area.
    so am wondering ... am I stressing the sensor????

    rgds


    definitely damaged. will start to deteriorate and by the time you reach 50,000 frames,the rate to deterioration will speed up further. best not exposed the sensor to any light source, then it is guaranty to last nearly forever.




    but then, why buy a camera?
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 2nd November 2008 at 08:51 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    definitely damaged. will start to deteriorate and by the time you reach 50,000 frames,the rate to deterioration will speed up further. best not exposed the sensor to any light source, then it is guaranty to last nearly forever.

    but then, why buy a camera?

    Kindly ignore him

    Anyway, other than pointing the sensor directly at the sun...don't worry too much

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Serangoon North Ave 4
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    Kindly ignore him

    Anyway, other than pointing the sensor directly at the sun...don't worry too much
    thanks a lot

  7. #7

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    Kindly ignore him

    Anyway, other than pointing the sensor directly at the sun...don't worry too much
    Er, how about sunrise / sunset? and, the sunlight behind a tree / building (that give the 'spreading light' effect - don't know how to describe that).

    Thanks

  8. #8

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Er, how about sunrise / sunset? and, the sunlight behind a tree / building (that give the 'spreading light' effect - don't know how to describe that).

    Thanks
    sorry, what I try to say is "backlight" picture. Thanks

  9. #9

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Dudes... If your eyes can take it, so can your camera. If your eyes cannot take it, best not try your luck with the camera...

  10. #10

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Relax9386 View Post
    Hi All,
    Would like to know is there a possibility of damaging the sensor with the wrong settings.

    Started to play around in Manual mode.. and tends to forget that i have to regulate the settings.

    Had accidentally fire couple, or maybe alot, with photos that turn out completely white.... and some of them were directed into brightly lited area.
    so am wondering ... am I stressing the sensor????

    rgds
    well, i too had the same prob..really white/ over-over exposed pics
    have to increase the shutter speeds to 1/250 for these areas..in manual mode with av abt 5.6
    but can take at 1/6 in tv/s mode..
    thus, i tried using hi shutter speed and increase the f stops to abt f11 to minimise light..in manual mode
    nevertheless.....
    seriusly im lost too whether the sensor is damaged or not..as it has never been dropped or hit ard..
    bought a month ago..

    any ideas?
    Last edited by Juzda2ofuz; 18th January 2009 at 09:35 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Dudes... If your eyes can take it, so can your camera. If your eyes cannot take it, best not try your luck with the camera...
    good advice

    that said, please do not ever look directly at the sun through a lens. if you have to compose, do it, but look at another part of the scene, and quickly.

    if there is direct sun, i.e. sun not covered by clouds in any ways, best to avoid it altogether. as i mentioned elsewhere, the amount of contrast there is likely to give you a bad picture due to limitations of camera sensor.

    for sunrise , sunset, i've been through so many cameras, there is no problem. same for backlit. that said, doing stupid things like 30 seconds exposures to the sun in full blast is asking for it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juzda2ofuz View Post
    well, i too had the same prob..really white/ over-over exposed pics
    have to increase the shutter speeds to 1/250 for these areas..in manual mode with av abt 5.6
    but can take at 1/6 in tv/s mode..
    thus, i tried using hi shutter speed and increase the f stops to abt f11 to minimise light..in manual mode
    nevertheless.....
    seriusly im lost too whether the sensor is damaged or not..as it has never been dropped or hit ard..
    bought a month ago..

    any ideas?
    I don't know what you're trying to photograph, so telling me your settings of 1/250 and f5.6 and 1/6 and f11 has no meaning to me whatsoever...
    Exploring! :)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juzda2ofuz View Post
    well, i too had the same prob..really white/ over-over exposed pics
    have to increase the shutter speeds to 1/250 for these areas..in manual mode with av abt 5.6
    but can take at 1/6 in tv/s mode..
    thus, i tried using hi shutter speed and increase the f stops to abt f11 to minimise light..in manual mode
    nevertheless.....
    seriusly im lost too whether the sensor is damaged or not..as it has never been dropped or hit ard..
    bought a month ago..

    any ideas?

    Have you tried shooting in AUTO, if the photos turn out "OK", then your sensor is not spoilt...

  14. #14

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    yup. i did..tried in all modes..seems fine n no prob
    ..maybe me freak out 4 nuthing..haha. standard.. a newbie mah!
    thx.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juzda2ofuz View Post
    yup. i did..tried in all modes..seems fine n no prob
    ..maybe me freak out 4 nuthing..haha. standard.. a newbie mah!
    thx.
    Good to hear that...

  16. #16

    Default Re: camera sensor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Dudes... If your eyes can take it, so can your camera. If your eyes cannot take it, best not try your luck with the camera...
    Hahah..... good one. Then have to send camera into Lasik surgery thereafter !

    Heh.... anyways, I think it takes quite a bit to damage the sensor. Just make sure you dont do the mirror lock up and then leave it lying facing the sun. Be more careful about dust I'd say....
    Snap ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •