Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

  1. #1

    Default is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    my fren came back from UK, he is asking will he be laughed at if he choose to pick up diploma job for income/survival sake, and also looking around for a better one while working ?

    he has a UK degree with some years of work experience, and is feeling dry waiting too long for a grad level job

    what do u guys think ?

    Last edited by Exposure; 1st November 2008 at 12:30 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    No he wont get laughed at as in this kind of climate... it's getting the job that counts. However he might not get the job as he is overqualified and he will be expected to take a huge pay cut. Also the employer will know he is taking them as a stepping stone.

  3. #3

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    yah....I agree...probably he doesn't have much choice....the employer may not employ him as he may be over-qualified...it happened to me in the last economic crisis....

  4. #4

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    it has happened during the last crisis....he has to bite the bullet and downgrade a little...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

  5. #5
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    my fren came back from UK, he is asking will he be laughed at if he choose to pick up diploma job for income/survival sake, and also looking around for a better one while working ?

    he has a UK degree with some years of work experience, and is feeling dry waiting too long for a grad level job

    what do u guys think ?

    Laughed at? In my past 20+ odd years of working and being thru a few recession and bad economies...seeing grads going for interview as entry level sale assistant at a department store or yes....waiter is nothing new....for young or old grads.

    If your friend have not heard of such thing yet...well...he is going to be in for a rude awakening if the economy is really going to sink further and last a long time.

    No job...no money. No money...no food. Unless the parents have deep pockets. There is no shame in good honest work...when you can find it in a climate like this.

  6. #6

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    i think he better take up, becos his current offer is a recession proof industry.. so i guess maybe go in first and see how..

    to be frank, we all worked for MONEY and experience as we go along.. degree or diploma holders no difference when it comes to a mouth need to be fed.
    Last edited by Exposure; 1st November 2008 at 01:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    My wife told me the son of her friend an engineering graduate worked in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant.

    I knew a science graduate made coffee in a cafe and a maths graduate made sandwiches there and a honours law graduate worked as a marketer.

    I also knew someone who was in my class failed Form 5 twice but became a minister in Malaysian cabinet.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    nobody will laugh at person willing to lower down himself to take up any job available to him at the moment.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My wife told me the son of her friend an engineering graduate worked in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant.

    I knew a science graduate made coffee in a cafe and a maths graduate made sandwiches there and a honours law graduate worked as a marketer.

    I also knew someone who was in my class failed Form 5 twice but became a minister in Malaysian cabinet.
    Forgot to add that the engineer is now the owner of a restaurant now and the law graduate the marketing head of a large law firm.

  10. #10

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Forgot to add that the engineer is now the owner of a restaurant now and the law graduate the marketing head of a large law firm.
    what abt the minister in Malaysian cabinet? became senior?? or mentor??

  11. #11

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    i think he better take up, becos his current offer is a recession proof industry.. so i guess maybe go in first and see how..

    to be frank, we all worked for MONEY and experience as we go along.. degree or diploma holders no difference when it comes to a mouth need to be fed.
    I would say take up the job.

    however, in doing this, he has taken away other ppl chance of long time livelihood too. maybe, our fellow singaporean of lower education need this job to feed several mouths of his' family. what do u guys think???

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    what abt the minister in Malaysian cabinet? became senior?? or mentor??
    After a few terms as minister he lost his seat in the last general election. But I think he has made enough money with his "connections" liao.
    Last edited by Sion; 1st November 2008 at 09:05 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    I would say take up the job.

    however, in doing this, he has taken away other ppl chance of long time livelihood too. maybe, our fellow singaporean of lower education need this job to feed several mouths of his' family. what do u guys think???
    i agree on the part to take up the job. However, i have reservations on your views that he has deprived others of a job. Theoretically, an employer should hire based on merit. and if the friend is hired, it must be because the employer thinks that he has an edge over the next person. Therefore, the factor that the next person has family to feed etc shouldn't be taken into considerations.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    however, in doing this, he has taken away other ppl chance of long time livelihood too. maybe, our fellow singaporean of lower education need this job to feed several mouths of his' family. what do u guys think???
    When you take up any job you'll always be depriving someone of a job.

    And the someone may go on to set up a small food stall in a street corner and make more money.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    The question is, will your friend be willing to give a degree level of performance in a diploma job? If he is, then maybe the company could move him up if his performance is good. If not, the company will have less incentive to pick him since he's likely to move on after a short time.

  16. #16
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    When you take up any job you'll always be depriving someone of a job.

    And the someone may go on to set up a small food stall in a street corner and make more money.
    ya ya ya, if so all the photographers go and snatch assignments from pros, the you will see all the pros go and drive taxi or sell wan ton mee at road side liao.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    nobody will laugh at person willing to lower down himself to take up any job available to him at the moment.
    Someone took on the job as a cleaner in the housing estate working from 7am to 5pm
    even though he was over qualified (formerly in a high ranking official position in the civil service). However there are many not willing to eat the humble pie, like selling off his
    automobile, or take up a job that is paying him one third of what he was getting before.

    They feel not comfortable and willing to suffer throughout the crisis.

  18. #18

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    There is no shame in good honest work.



    Recession time...grab what ever job u can.目前的行情是讲钱途,而不是前途 !!!
    Last edited by Clues; 1st November 2008 at 10:57 AM.
    Mee Poh Man. "I am kampong man"

  19. #19
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Someone took on the job as a cleaner in the housing estate working from 7am to 5pm
    even though he was over qualified (formerly in a high ranking official position in the civil service). However there are many not willing to eat the humble pie, like selling off his
    automobile, or take up a job that is paying him one third of what he was getting before.

    They feel not comfortable and willing to suffer throughout the crisis.
    those who not willing to eat the humble pie, just let them be lor...
    anyway, he himself suffer never mind, but let other people around him also suffer together... well... that's other people business.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    ya ya ya, if so all the photographers go and snatch assignments from pros, the you will see all the pros go and drive taxi or sell wan ton mee at road side liao.
    The musically gifted photographers will have no fear. They can play Ehru at street corners.
    Last edited by Sion; 1st November 2008 at 11:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •