Thread: [advice] buying 2nd hand car

Default [advice] buying 2nd hand car

i would llike to get a 2nd hand car, any website to check out the prices? or places to view the cars? lastly, any advice (what to look out for) when buying 2nd hand car?

the Classifieds still gives you the widest selection/range of 2nd hand cars.

things to look out for? ermm, how about 1 previous owner, female teacher, very careful driver, low mileage...

My advise is dun believe the prices stated in the newspapers or on the car itself in the car mart.. after u talk to the dealer u will find that it's much much more $$. For checking the car make sure it starts at 1st crank, make sure no blue/grey smoke from exhaust when u ram the accelerator.. take the car for a test drive DO NOT turn on the radio instead listen for clunking noises from under the car ( bushings/ suspension gone ).. owning car in singapore beri ex.. i rather spend that $$ on lenses n maybe a dslr.. dat's y i just sold off my car last week

U should get the car inspected by a reliable workshop for an independent report of its condition. The AA recommended workshops or STAR workshops are reliable. They would be able to tell if the car had been involved in accidents or display symptoms of major problems.

Places to view 2nd hand cars

1. West coast car mart
    2. Kallang car mart
    3. One down at Ubi, & Leng Kee or Alexandra. Cant remember.

Things to look out for? Too many!! But some of the important ones are mentioned by other CSers above. Bst to bring a friend along when you go for a test drive.

Happy car shopping.

One important thing to check is any accident signs. Try open and close all doors and boots. They should free very smooth, and the door alignment is correct. Otherwise suspect there was a major accident previously. You either look for another car, or negotiate for a much lower price.