Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you find Singaporean drivers?

Default K.l?

u guys been to K.L? kuala lumpur.
    its not Kuku Land, for ur info.

go there and experience life in the 'fast lane'. the drivers are like war veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by sadness
    u guys been to K.L? kuala lumpur.
    its not Kuku Land, for ur info.

go there and experience life in the 'fast lane'. the drivers are like war veterans.
    or Bangkok for that matter.....

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech
    open her door and do wor?? Slutty? airhead? why do you judge??
    Open the door and ask "What's the matter lady?"

Why do I judge? But she really looked that way. I've seen men in suits doing this and I wouldn't call them slutty. But the lady in the car looked like one. Anyway, after what she did? I pointed to her signal lights and she was stoned there like a rock. Frozen.

You wanna horn and think you've got a statement to make, think you are right, why don't you be more forthcoming instead of looking so stunned? Why sit in the metal armour with engine and 4 wheels, on a cushioned chair behind the dashboard and take on me who was just innocently trying to almost make it across the road? I'm asking: "What's your point?" So you horned at me. What could that tell/teach me? Get out of your way? Do you really want to warn me a real imminent danger or was your ego so BIG driving a car telling me to get out of your way? Why don't you just remember to flick that little signal light next time? Even without, was your golden foot so difficult to tap gently on your brake pedal?

In fact for the record, that woman wasn't traveling fast at all. No danger. So what's the horn for?
    Last edited by kiwi2; 26th August 2003 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Did someone say this before?
    Singapore drivers are rude because they know nobody can do anything in Singapore.
    USA/Europe drivers are polite because they fear the other guy will pull out a gun and shoot if he gets angry.
    Ermmm, that's possible but a bit biased. For people like us who live in a safe country, some of us tend to think of New York as a "gangster city" or that living in the West, there'll be rape, gutshots etc. Depends on which areas you go to.
    Last edited by kiwi2; 26th August 2003 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacks
    i'm not entirely sure on this but i think it's somewhat the same in singapore. if u hit someone and it's your right of way, u're still gonna get into some kind of trouble.
    Not sure too but not many drivers here respect pedestrians. That's my point. They use their cars like they want to challenge you standing on your two legs only. Suppose an elderly person crosses the road slowly, the stereotyped driver here will be irritated and make some comments. The road-raged type will go further by cursing and well what else, use his horn.

In America, if it's possible and if they are of sound mind, not crooks or psycho, people slow down. Yes sure, the elderly is not in the right of way to walk so slowly but common sense will say "He's old. Be patient. Remember, you're driving a machine capable of 130 mph. He's human." Horns are to be used only when all else fail or in dangerous situations where you need to react quickly.

In Singapore, SOME drivers horn because they feel impatient. They want the world world to know I'M RIGHT!!! (Even though they may not be some of the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    sorry i just have to say this but people can always complain about inconsiderate drivers not knowing that they themselves are one too..

i'm not finger-pointing. it's an observation.
    Doesn't have to be drivers, but life in general. It's so easy to blame others but not seeing our own faults/flaws.

But as far as I know, I try not to do what I don't want others to do to me, that includes driving.

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    sporean drving style is definitely worse than europe,i was travelling on a tour bus in koenswinter (germany) along a very narrow lane when our path was blocked by a small lorry,instead of horning loudly ans waiting for that F*** lorry driver to come out and shift(s'pore style) our bus driver stop the vehicle,went into a few shops and find the owner of the lorry and inform him problem.after the lorry made way for our bus,both drivers wave thank you to each other and move on.
    i was really surprised by their road manners and ashamed of my driving

cheers !
    Ya... it's amazing isn't it? You just have to experience it to believe it without making biased generalizations.

Default sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by wacko
    i've seen more competitive driving in KL
    Speaking about KL, i have been staying here for 3 years...
    There was once we couldn't find our way going to Penang, we stopped to ask a Chinese driver and he gave us some instructions. Later on we met him again at a traffic light. What he did was he got out of his van (2 cars away) and walked to our car to point to us the route to do our turning. After that he quickly returned to his van and drove off as the traffic light changed. Wasn't he a sweet samaritan????

Another occasion....i was driving in the car one my way home. One driver was speeding along side with me and cut into my path narrowly missing me. I had to do a swerve to avoid him......naturally i was pissed at his dangerous driving and i honked for the longest time. I somewhat caught up with him at the end of the road and witnessed him banging into the car just right in front of him because he was so impatient!!!!!! ha! serves him right!

As for Singapore, there were 2 occasions i was going to turn from the side road. I saw a car coming but i was easily 40m away. That car actually honked at me!!!!!!!!!! can you believe it??????
    It was really ridiculous......

As for giving way on the road, i feel that Malaysians are more tolerant than Singaporeans.....

Just my experiences living in these 2 countries.

My my .. what an interesting topic!

I really hate driving on Singapore roads. Really stressful! I had this unforgettable experience of being horned to go faster on the extreme left lane of the ECP. My gosh, I was already travelling at 80+kmh (the speed limit was still 80 then) If you want to horn me for driving at speed limit on right lane, then I think I deserve it, but come on man ... left most lane also kena?!

I drove in Australia with peace of mind. People actually do keep to the left and you can overtake. If there is a car that is coming up from the rear and you are in front, it is perfectly normal to let the rear vehicle overtake you by switching to the lane on the left. The horn is almost never used except when to avoid an accident. Here it is like if you don't use the horn, it will cease to function the next time you start up your engine.

Also, I think that the cars owners should have the option to not have signal lights when they buy their cars, cos easily 50% of the blooming drivers don't use them. Agree??

Finally ... this statement is from a cab driver:
    If I come out signal, people don't let me change lane by stepping on the oil and going faster. If I don't signal, they horn me loud loud and sometimes show me hand/finger .... how like that? Signal also cannot, don't signal also cannot .... then people call us taxi drivers the worst on the road. Unfair right?!

Note: I am not a taxi driver.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2
    Open the door and ask "What's the matter lady?"

Why do I judge? But she really looked that way. I've seen men in suits doing this and I wouldn't call them slutty. But the lady in the car looked like one. Anyway, after what she did? I pointed to her signal lights and she was stoned there like a rock. Frozen.

You wanna horn and think you've got a statement to make, think you are right, why don't you be more forthcoming instead of looking so stunned? Why sit in the metal armour with engine and 4 wheels, on a cushioned chair behind the dashboard and take on me who was just innocently trying to almost make it across the road? I'm asking: "What's your point?" So you horned at me. What could that tell/teach me? Get out of your way? Do you really want to warn me a real imminent danger or was your ego so BIG driving a car telling me to get out of your way? Why don't you just remember to flick that little signal light next time? Even without, was your golden foot so difficult to tap gently on your brake pedal?

In fact for the record, that woman wasn't traveling fast at all. No danger. So what's the horn for?
    Oh well, perhaps she was stunned cos she thought you looked like an ah beng who wanted to beat her up? (tongue in cheek. no offence here, not judging). On a more serious note, you can criticise her for her bad driving etc etc. but i don't think you should call her slutty etc. You can't "fault" someone for how they look. And come on, wearing a power suit doesn't make one a better person/less slutty person. Think about it....... my main point here is that you should not call someone slutty just cos you think she looks like one.

And if you open her door and say "what's the matter lady?" how is it going solve anything? Enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    My my .. what an interesting topic!

I drove in Australia with peace of mind. People actually do keep to the left and you can overtake. If there is a car that is coming up from the rear and you are in front, it is perfectly normal to let the rear vehicle overtake you by switching to the lane on the left. The horn is almost never used except when to avoid an accident. Here it is like if you don't use the horn, it will cease to function the next time you start up your engine.
    Not very true ....... Was driving in Melbourne couple of weeks back(first time driving there). Somehow i was not very clear about the right turns (for right turns there, the driver has to keep left cos of the trams travelling in the middle of the road) and when i signalled to turn right and kept on the right lane, I got the whole Swanston Street horning at me like there was no tomorrow. I don't think the horns were used to avoid an accident(no trams at that time and the time was about 10pm at night).

So my point is rude/bad/ugly drivers exist wherever you go. We just got to learn to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhi
    Eh, obviously no one has been to India. I always thought singapore had quite rule following and proper drivers, at least compared to India.

I say drive just once in a major Indian city. If you live, it will be an experience you will not forget.

...Kata buses.... I must say... I was in shock when I was there... the super rush...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    sorry i just have to say this but people can always complain about inconsiderate drivers not knowing that they themselves are one too..

i'm not finger-pointing. it's an observation.
    Whew. Thank goodness. I don't drive. A car that is. Lame excuses to get lazy.
    (heeeheeeheeeheeeheeeh)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12