Thread: 3.2 MP digital cameras doubt

Default 3.2 MP digital cameras doubt

Hi, my first post in this community. Hope I get to meet some nice people in the near future. Ok recently I have this urge to get a digital camera, so I narrowed down my research to a 3.2 MP one since higher MP means more $.

I have then decided on 3 different brands of ultra-compact cameras: Casio Exilim Z3, Pentax Optio S and Minolta Dimage XT. Among these 3, I like Minolta Dimage XT the best. Having a look at the recent quotations from Alan Photo as follows,

Hi,
    > Enquiry: Casio EXILIM S3 S$580.00
    > Minolta Dimage XT S$630.00
    > Pentax Optio S S$680.00
    Price quoted incl of gst
    Rgds H K Tan

I became a little undecisive as the price of Casio is rather attractive. I'm going to be a first-time user in digital photography so can anyone here give me some advices to decide on a choice? Which of the 3 should I get?

Why don't you consider the Canon A70? Price is hovering around the $500 price range, and I feel that it is able to offer you more than the 3 brands/models that you have mentioned.

From the 3 listed, I would suggest Minolta XT too.

you may want to go to dpreview.com, under the "Buying Guide" on the right and do a "Side-by-Side" comparsion of the 3 cameras so that you can see the difference in specs side by side.

(Scroll down the list and use Ctrl + right-click to select more than 1 camera model)

The difference btw the Casio and Minolta is only $50 and from what I see in dpreview.com the features that Minolta has outweigh that $50 price difference of the Casio.

Besides if you are selling the camera in future (2 years maybe?), Minolta cameras fetch better prices than a Casio. (well known brands, like nikon, canon, minolta, olympus, fujifilm..etc tend to have a better resale value compared to Casio, konica, Kyocera, Samsung..etc)
    Last edited by Winston; 26th August 2003 at 08:20 AM.

I'm using the Xt... even phil askey says the iso 50 on the Xt is very clean, vs the A70.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    Why don't you consider the Canon A70? Price is hovering around the $500 price range, and I feel that it is able to offer you more than the 3 brands/models that you have mentioned.
    I would believe the original poster needs/wants a super compact for some reason, and hence ruled out the A70. A70 is a great camera esp in terms of features, with extremely long battery life, but if it is going to be used as a P&S for a day to day or ultra lightweight travelling then perhaps it may not be the best choice. (For that purpose I'll probably take the IXUS 400 over the A70, since I prefer CF)

Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    I would believe the original poster needs/wants a super compact for some reason, and hence ruled out the A70.
    Hmmm ... in that case, I think my suggestion is out lor

Hehe don't worry, all your suggestions are appreciated. Yeah I ruled out Canon A70, I know it's good and is a budget camera. Still among the 3 of those I listed, will Minolta Dimage XT be the better choice? I'm worried about how I'm going to hold the camera since lens is located at the top left instead of the conventional center. I'm particularly impressed by the unlimited length of video one can record using this camera.

Casio Exilim Z3 and Pentax Optio S are actually using the same retracting lens technology to keep themselves slim. Will they feel too light to hold? hehe, owners you gotta help me out here.

Quote Originally Posted by j1ng
    Hehe don't worry, all your suggestions are appreciated. Yeah I ruled out Canon A70, I know it's good and is a budget camera. Still among the 3 of those I listed, will Minolta Dimage XT be the better choice? I'm worried about how I'm going to hold the camera since lens is located at the top left instead of the conventional center. I'm particularly impressed by the unlimited length of video one can record using this camera.

Casio Exilim Z3 and Pentax Optio S are actually using the same retracting lens technology to keep themselves slim. Will they feel too light to hold? hehe, owners you gotta help me out here.

I don't believe lightness will be a problem. However, note that both the Optio S and Casio are using the same lens system, and are both prone to image softness and aberrations in the corners of the image. Not sure about the image quality of the Xt, but the Xi and X used to have problem of image softness due to the lens construction ( which requires the image to be reflected off a prism ).

Actually, if I were to make the same decision, I would take the S400, which is not in your list. Reasons :

1. S400 is small and light, only a little heavier than your 3 cameras listed.
    2. S400 is 4MP, vs 3.2MP for your list.
    3. S400 has great image quality for a ultracompact. Phil Askey remarks that the quality is indistinguishable from a G3 for many shots. This is remarkable indeed.
    4. S400 has a good night scene exposure mode, up to 15 seconds of shutter speed. The Optio S only goes up to 1 sec ( Yucks ! ). Not sure about the other 2.
    5. S400 uses CF card. You can buy a 512MB CF for $200. How much is a 512MB SD Card ? CF card is also good when you wish to upgrade your camera later on, since most upper range cameras use CF.
    6. I believe the S400 will have better resale value then the others.

I believe the video on S400 is limited to 3minutes. But what I've found from using my G3 is that most of the time, my video clips are only 1 - 2 minutes. How much do you use your 4MP digital camera to shoot 320x240 videos ? It's almost a crime to waste all that pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by chriszzz
    I don't believe lightness will be a problem. However, note that both the Optio S and Casio are using the same lens system, and are both prone to image softness and aberrations in the corners of the image. Not sure about the image quality of the Xt, but the Xi and X used to have problem of image softness due to the lens construction ( which requires the image to be reflected off a prism ).

Actually, if I were to make the same decision, I would take the S400, which is not in your list. Reasons :

1. S400 is small and light, only a little heavier than your 3 cameras listed.
    2. S400 is 4MP, vs 3.2MP for your list.
    3. S400 has great image quality for a ultracompact. Phil Askey remarks that the quality is indistinguishable from a G3 for many shots. This is remarkable indeed.
    4. S400 has a good night scene exposure mode, up to 15 seconds of shutter speed. The Optio S only goes up to 1 sec ( Yucks ! ). Not sure about the other 2.
    5. S400 uses CF card. You can buy a 512MB CF for $200. How much is a 512MB SD Card ? CF card is also good when you wish to upgrade your camera later on, since most upper range cameras use CF.
    6. I believe the S400 will have better resale value then the others.

I believe the video on S400 is limited to 3minutes. But what I've found from using my G3 is that most of the time, my video clips are only 1 - 2 minutes. How much do you use your 4MP digital camera to shoot 320x240 videos ? It's almost a crime to waste all that pixels.
    Was abt to recommend IXUS v3 too (since it's 3MP and abt the same price range), but it's weight is double the weight of Minolta (300+ grams) and abt triple the Casio and Pentax, it will defeat the purpose of a ultra compact light camera.

well you see ixus s400 is expensive..

andylee
    Guests

How about Minolta X20?it uses AA batteries.but then oni 2.0 MP.me using it and it gives me 5R pics......

Quote Originally Posted by j1ng
    I have then decided on 3 different brands of ultra-compact cameras: Casio Exilim Z3, Pentax Optio S and Minolta Dimage XT. Among these 3, I like Minolta Dimage XT the best. Having a look at the recent quotations from Alan Photo as follows,

Hi,
    > Enquiry: Casio EXILIM S3 S$580.00
    > Minolta Dimage XT S$630.00
    > Pentax Optio S S$680.00
    Price quoted incl of gst
    Rgds H K Tan
    You mentioned Exilim Z3, but your quotation states it as S3? Typo or?