Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Canon Lense is best for Travel Photography?

Default Re: What Canon Lense is best for Travel Photography?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowvx View Post
    whaaaa... dun think i have enough budget to get all 3 like urs.... hehe. Budget is $500, what do u all suggest?
    use the 18-55mm kit lens + 75-250mm ($350-ish) + 50mm f/1.8 ($110-ish) for portraits.

Not the most fantastic or expensive but if you need versatility without a pricetage that would make the wife scream, they are pretty okay.
    I photograph the dead.

3rd party also can... hahaha...
    How about the Tokina 12-24 f/4 its about 500-600 for brand new. Considering getting it next.
    Nikon D90 Kit ( AF-S 18-105 VR ) + SB-600 + AF 50mm F1.8D

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    use the 18-55mm kit lens + 75-250mm ($350-ish) + 50mm f/1.8 ($110-ish) for portraits.

Not the most fantastic or expensive but if you need versatility without a pricetage that would make the wife scream, they are pretty okay.
    Hi Flashbulb,

Thank u! Will try to source for them.

Hi Flashbulb,

Thank u! Will try to source for them.
    here, not as updated but good as a guide.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...131801&page=45
    I photograph the dead.

here, not as updated but good as a guide.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...131801&page=45
    Thanks!

how much will wide angle lens cost ?(tight on budget)
    I am newbie,just went to cameron highland with my PnS...very sad my lens was not wide enough ton capture the tea plantation landscape in full view...
    Last edited by jlpk007; 1st November 2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo error
    OLympus EP3 17mm..

Quote Originally Posted by jlpk007 View Post
    how much will wide angle lens cost ?(tight on budget)
    I am newbie,just went to camera with my PnS...very sad my lens was not wide enough ton capture the tea plantation landscape in full view...
    wide angle lens for PnS? what camera are you using?

For Canon DSLR, around $900-ish for EF-S 10-22mm.

if you dont mind photoshop, you can actually take 2 photos and then "stitch" them together. tedious but it works if landscape pics and virtually no need to buy anything for your camera.
    Last edited by Flashbulb; 1st November 2008 at 09:47 AM.
    I photograph the dead.

a second hand sigma 18-200 cost about 400 at BnS, do consider.

wide angle lens for PnS? what camera are you using?

For Canon DSLR, around $900-ish for EF-S 10-22mm.

if you dont mind photoshop, you can actually take 2 photos and then "stitch" them together. tedious but it works if landscape pics and virtually no need to buy anything for your camera.
    of course not for my PNS...planning to buy a dslr kit ,plus a wide angle lens..
    900 is a bit high for me...Thanks
    OLympus EP3 17mm..

Quote Originally Posted by jlpk007 View Post
    of course not for my PNS...planning to buy a dslr kit ,plus a wide angle lens..
    900 is a bit high for me...Thanks
    Its just an idea of what to expect for an ultra wide angle lens. If going for kit the Nikon/Canon 18-55mm is a decent all rounder for casual users and enthusiasts alike.
    I photograph the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonD90Lover View Post
    How about the Tokina 12-24 f/4 its about 500-600 for brand new. Considering getting it next.
    Any sample shots for tokina 12-24mm?

Any sample shots for tokina 12-24mm?
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...f4_review.html
    I photograph the dead.

Thanks!

if you are interested in going to museums, do note that most of them do not allow flash photography. That means you will need a fast lens...

bro the canon promo is not too bad lately..

try to push ur budget higher abit and get something that u'll be happy with..

i'm a newbie and did a comparison between 450D and 1000D.. at the end went for 450D.. price is 1299 as compared to 1099 for 1000D.
    of cos it's not the cheapest... but i believe by working around certain budget we can get something decent as a newbie like me..

Hi,

The 18-200 from canon is a great lens, however, from the reviews I read this lens is not that sharp. It is reasonable because this is optical physics, you need some kind of trade off for the flexibility that you get from this lens. If you are not that particular about sharpness, this is the lens for you. The DPP software should be able to correct some of the distortions and CAs you get from this lens.

You may also take a look at Tamron 18-270 and Sigman 18-200 OS. I believe the Tamron one should be slightly better than the rest.

However, if you are looking at sharpness as your main priority, here is where the discussion starts.

It actually depends on a few things:

1) Budget
    2) Your mostly captured subjects
    3) Weight
    4) You camera (cropped or FF)

If you have a 1.6x cropped body with a budget of about $500-$700 and would like a great lens for landscape and occassional potrait, I think ranges around 17-50 would be ideal for you. 17mm is wide enough to take landscape and 50mm is ideal for potrait. Here are your choices:

1) 17-40L - I personally love the 17-40 f4L. It is a really sharp lens to be able to carry the L badge. In fact, some are saying that it is almost on par in terms of performance (except it is one-stop down) versus the 16-35 f2.8L II which costs 2x more. It is the cheapest and lightest L around at around $700 (2nd hand on CS) and 500g. It is very solidly built with great weather sealing. This lens is also compatible with FF body whould you want to upgrade in the future although its role will change a little on FF. However being an L, it is still slightly heavier than other lenses.

2) Tamron 18-50 f2.8 - This is a light, fast and sharp lens. Very highly rated and seems to be the ideal lens for many. However watch out for bad copies. Some people are selling this lens for around $500 on CS

3) Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8 IS - This lens is heavier and bigger than the 17-40 at around 600g. Although it is not an L or FF, this lens is really sharp, fast and with IS, really great for night scenes. The only downsides is that it does not have internal focusing like the 17-40. This means that the extension and retraction of the lens can potentially suck in dust. The built quality is quite plasticy. Also it is heavier and more expensive than the 17-40. CSers are selling them at around $1.1k.

4) Your kit lens 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS - Do not be fooled, the kit lens is one of the sharpest lenses around. The only issues are distortions and some CAs which can be easily corrected by your DPP software if you shoot RAW. The kit is amazingly light and small. You hardly noticed it is there. It is however, slower than the other two lenses. The IS is really helpful but if you want to get the BOKEH effect, this is not the lens. The other downside is that there is no cool factor carrying the kit lens around since 90% of other Canon lugging tourist will be using the same lens as you.

If you visit places like the zoo or performances where you need occassional potrait and occassional tele zoom, you will probably need one of these:

1) Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS - This lens has been touted as the hidden L lens. It is affordable but provide a performance which can give the 70-200 L lenses a run for their money. The only thing about this lens is that it is not as sturdily built as the L. However, that makes it much lighter and smaller. Much easier to walk around with.

2) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - This is another cheap and good kit lens. Very sharp and light. Versatile lens if you visit a park and you would like to take potrait as well as zoon shots. At 55mm and f4 it is a sharp and fast potrait lens. At 250mm, you can take tele shots although the sharpness decreases slightly.

3) Canon EF 70-200 f4L (IS or no IS) - These L lenses are lighter than the f2.8 cousins and is more affordable. Some people are selling the 70-200 f4L non IS at around $700. Being L lenses, you get weather sealing and solid metal bodies. Sharpness and IQ is also legendary.

If I were to choose between these lenses and select a sharp combi for landscape, potrait and tele at a reasonable budget, I would look at the following package:

Package A - Really light, really cheap and very reasonable performance. If you are on a budget, this is the most reasonable selection.

Kit lens 18-55 + 55-250

Package B - Both lenses are light, cheap, fast and sharp (for their class). I think for most people, package B looks promising....However, look out for a bad copy from Tamron
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS

Package C - Not so light, can be cheap (2nd hand at $1.4 for both), fast and really sharp, solidly built and FF compatible. This are the budget L lenses. However, non IS for 200mm can be a bit risky.
    1) Canon 17-40 f4L + 70-200 f4L (non IS)
    "Take a picture, it'll last longer..."

Quote Originally Posted by lightsabre View Post
    Hi,

The 18-200 from canon is a great lens, however, from the reviews I read this lens is not that sharp. It is reasonable because this is optical physics, you need some kind of trade off for the flexibility that you get from this lens. If you are not that particular about sharpness, this is the lens for you. The DPP software should be able to correct some of the distortions and CAs you get from this lens.

You may also take a look at Tamron 18-270 and Sigman 18-200 OS. I believe the Tamron one should be slightly better than the rest.

However, if you are looking at sharpness as your main priority, here is where the discussion starts.

It actually depends on a few things:

1) Budget
    2) Your mostly captured subjects
    3) Weight
    4) You camera (cropped or FF)

If you have a 1.6x cropped body with a budget of about $500-$700 and would like a great lens for landscape and occassional potrait, I think ranges around 17-50 would be ideal for you. 17mm is wide enough to take landscape and 50mm is ideal for potrait. Here are your choices:

1) 17-40L - I personally love the 17-40 f4L. It is a really sharp lens to be able to carry the L badge. In fact, some are saying that it is almost on par in terms of performance (except it is one-stop down) versus the 16-35 f2.8L II which costs 2x more. It is the cheapest and lightest L around at around $700 (2nd hand on CS) and 500g. It is very solidly built with great weather sealing. This lens is also compatible with FF body whould you want to upgrade in the future although its role will change a little on FF. However being an L, it is still slightly heavier than other lenses.

2) Tamron 18-50 f2.8 - This is a light, fast and sharp lens. Very highly rated and seems to be the ideal lens for many. However watch out for bad copies. Some people are selling this lens for around $500 on CS

3) Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8 IS - This lens is heavier and bigger than the 17-40 at around 600g. Although it is not an L or FF, this lens is really sharp, fast and with IS, really great for night scenes. The only downsides is that it does not have internal focusing like the 17-40. This means that the extension and retraction of the lens can potentially suck in dust. The built quality is quite plasticy. Also it is heavier and more expensive than the 17-40. CSers are selling them at around $1.1k.

4) Your kit lens 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS - Do not be fooled, the kit lens is one of the sharpest lenses around. The only issues are distortions and some CAs which can be easily corrected by your DPP software if you shoot RAW. The kit is amazingly light and small. You hardly noticed it is there. It is however, slower than the other two lenses. The IS is really helpful but if you want to get the BOKEH effect, this is not the lens. The other downside is that there is no cool factor carrying the kit lens around since 90% of other Canon lugging tourist will be using the same lens as you.

If you visit places like the zoo or performances where you need occassional potrait and occassional tele zoom, you will probably need one of these:

1) Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS - This lens has been touted as the hidden L lens. It is affordable but provide a performance which can give the 70-200 L lenses a run for their money. The only thing about this lens is that it is not as sturdily built as the L. However, that makes it much lighter and smaller. Much easier to walk around with.

2) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - This is another cheap and good kit lens. Very sharp and light. Versatile lens if you visit a park and you would like to take potrait as well as zoon shots. At 55mm and f4 it is a sharp and fast potrait lens. At 250mm, you can take tele shots although the sharpness decreases slightly.

3) Canon EF 70-200 f4L (IS or no IS) - These L lenses are lighter than the f2.8 cousins and is more affordable. Some people are selling the 70-200 f4L non IS at around $700. Being L lenses, you get weather sealing and solid metal bodies. Sharpness and IQ is also legendary.

If I were to choose between these lenses and select a sharp combi for landscape, potrait and tele at a reasonable budget, I would look at the following package:

Package A - Really light, really cheap and very reasonable performance. If you are on a budget, this is the most reasonable selection.

Kit lens 18-55 + 55-250

Package B - Both lenses are light, cheap, fast and sharp (for their class). I think for most people, package B looks promising....However, look out for a bad copy from Tamron
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS

Package C - Not so light, can be cheap (2nd hand at $1.4 for both), fast and really sharp, solidly built and FF compatible. This are the budget L lenses. However, non IS for 200mm can be a bit risky.
    1) Canon 17-40 f4L + 70-200 f4L (non IS)
    Wow! Comprehensive info. Thanks bro.

I am actually considering 2nd hand canon 10-22mm or any other 2nd hand 3rd-party wide-angle lens. Have seen the sample pics... Not bad leh... What do u think?

I am thinking I will prolly take architecture, landscapes, interior of museums or churches, of course the people as well... budget is no more than $700

I have the Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 as well as the Canon 18-55mm kit lens with me when I bought the 400D second hand from the seller.
    Last edited by shadowvx; 3rd November 2008 at 05:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12