Thread: Our Utopia

Default Our Utopia

Hello everyone...

was going for a nostalgic feel here, colour filter in Photoshop. Also wanted to try and compose in the 16:9 format, convey some expanse.

Being new to this photography thing, how do I extract/ view exif data? I know I had it on AV mode but for the most part it was compose-point-and-shoot.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, on composition, technique, etc. whatever you can throw at it... doesn't have to be nice.

I do think the sky is kind of dull/ bland... and aside from hoping for better weather, does anyone know how I can improve the sky using exposure or post-processing?

Will try and get the exif soon (only way I know how is to upload on flickr... ).

Thank you!
    Last edited by simplequirk; 31st October 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Default Re: Our Utopia

exif info - right click on the original file, select 'summary' tab, click advanced button

Ok! Thank you...

It's F/8 (max on my camera... lousy! ha ha), 1/200

Hi SimpleQuirk,

It's a great effort!

Some areas to improve on:

- The child to the right of the photo is a great addition but he's too far in the distance to be distinct. It's best that he's not in the picture. If you want him to be in the picture, bring him closer.

- Distance between the camera and the sand castle and the sea is too far. I will suggest capturing the image of the sea by putting the sandcastle in the foreground.

- Adding a yellowish tinge to the photo will probably give it a more nostalgic feel.
    Last edited by patricktay; 4th November 2008 at 04:34 PM.

It is hardly a strong photo.

I don't see "Utopia". I don't see any motivation for a 16:9 cinematic crop. I don't see any motivation for a nostalgic treatment.

------
    Patrick, I don't think there is a need to throw a sweet nothing into every critique you make. Say it as it is.
    Last edited by calebk; 4th November 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Hi Calebk,

Haha, ok.

I figure a little bit of encouragement is good.

Quote Originally Posted by patricktay View Post
    Hi Calebk,

Haha, ok.

I figure a little bit of encouragement is good.
    It's alright bro. Sometimes encouragement is good, but there is a fine line to draw I guess. I believe in giving praise where it is due. No point in saying "good work" or "very nice" when the image is mediocre. It merely encourages continuation of producing mediocre works, and hinders improvement/development because one is fooled into thinking his/her works are "there already".

Truth be told, there is no "there" in Photography. Sure, you'll reach a stage where you are technically proficient, but the learning and improvement probably never ends.

Hi Calebk,

Yep, we never stop learning. I share the same sentiments.

Hi guys

Thanks for being tactful Patrick... but it's ok, if anyone thinks it's not a good shot, then it's ok to say it...

If I couldn't take the criticism I'd keep all my pictures to myself ya, they'd never see the light of day.

Calebk, that's why he said 'great effort'... which implies that it's not 'there' yet. Haha.

Anyway, to explain a little more, the photo isn't meant to literally illustrate the title.

I see the elements in the picture more symbolically... the HUNTPOUNCEROAR castle in the foreground as a sort of protected Utopia of childhood... then the imtermediate, abandoned castle, and finally the children in the process building their own.

Mumbo jumbo aside, this was my 1st time shooting 16:9 out of a camera that's new to me, so was just trying it out.

I'd probably be flamed for not approaching this from a VISUAL perspective, as that's what photography is, but I do want to know what makes a good picture or how to make a good picture compositionally & techinically... which is why I posted here.

Appreciate your suggestions Patrick, Caleb, rather than keep repeating 'I don't see [this & that]' (which is ok to say, btw), perhaps you would like to offer some additional comments that I could actually digest and use for future tries?

Thanks for taking the time!