Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Question about max Aperture

  1. #1

    Default Question about max Aperture

    Hi guys, I was given a lens and its supposed to be F4-5.6 (Canon 22-55)

    I couldn't get the Aperture up to F4 even at the widest focal length, is there a problem with my lens or body? Or what am I missing out? I'm on a 350D

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    At the widest focal length that the lens is capable of, the maximum aperture of the lens is correspondently F/4.
    If you're asking how to go for a wider aperture (lower F number), then it wouldn't be possible.

    Maybe your camera has its aperture set to a higher value, you could press the exposure compensation button and turn the dial at the same time. The numbers should change.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Apologies, I left out some crucial points.

    At f=22, I couldn't get the aperture lower than F5.6, I was under the impression that it should be able to go down to F4.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    for F4 should be 22mm, were you using manual or autofocus?
    I photograph the dead.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    for F4 should be 22mm, were you using manual or autofocus?
    I tried both.

    Its just stuck at F5.6, I can go up.. like F32 but not down to F4 (at 22mm)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    for my 18-55mm, it has no problem reaching f/3.6 at 18mm on Manual mode.

    check your camera settings.
    I photograph the dead.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    for my 18-55mm, it has no problem reaching f/3.6 at 18mm on Manual mode.

    check your camera settings.
    which settings shall I check?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Relax...try the following:

    1) Move the lens to the Widest or shortest focal length.
    2) Under Manual Settings, check if you have manually overidden the lens aperture through the camera itself. i.e. there is a aperture dial on the camera body itself. lower it.

    Voila~ you have the lowest aperture.

    Hope this helps.
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Relax...try the following:

    1) Move the lens to the Widest or shortest focal length.
    2) Under Manual Settings, check if you have manually overidden the lens aperture through the camera itself. i.e. there is a aperture dial on the camera body itself. lower it.

    Voila~ you have the lowest aperture.

    Hope this helps.
    but interesting question...supposing still cannot get, can it be resolved at Canon Service Center and likely how much would it cost?
    I photograph the dead.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    but interesting question...supposing still cannot get, can it be resolved at Canon Service Center and likely how much would it cost?
    Haha you got me there... i have not sent any of me lenses in yet. (prays hard it nevers~)
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  11. #11

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Relax...try the following:

    1) Move the lens to the Widest or shortest focal length.
    2) Under Manual Settings, check if you have manually overidden the lens aperture through the camera itself. i.e. there is a aperture dial on the camera body itself. lower it.

    Voila~ you have the lowest aperture.

    Hope this helps.
    what aperture dial on the body itself? Do you mean the command dial? I know how to lower the aperture normally, but in this case it just refuses to go where I want it to.

    I'm starting to conclude that its the lens at fault... possible damage?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Relax...try the following:

    1) Move the lens to the Widest or shortest focal length.
    2) Under Manual Settings, check if you have manually overidden the lens aperture through the camera itself. i.e. there is a aperture dial on the camera body itself. lower it.

    Voila~ you have the lowest aperture.

    Hope this helps.
    Ok~ Basically, if i am not wrong,

    1) there is a AV+/- button next to the LCD screen, then pressing that, turn the top dial. (this is done in the Manual mode.)
    2) an easier option would be to set the the setting to Aperture Priority/ AV Mode and then lower the aperture from the top dial.

    If the above does not work...... God Bless~ you will then have have the following two options:

    1) Go to CSC if the repair costs aren't great.
    2) You must be glad that u have seen the other pretty lens you wanted the other day~
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  13. #13

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    2) You must be glad that u have seen the other pretty lens you wanted the other day~

    hahaha..classic!
    I photograph the dead.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Took me very long to register number 2.

    Well yes haha, I'm getting myself a 20mm F1.8. So I really don't know what to do with this lens now. lol.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Eh~ so that means your current lens = gone liaoz?
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

  16. #16

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Took me very long to register number 2.

    Well yes haha, I'm getting myself a 20mm F1.8. So I really don't know what to do with this lens now. lol.
    if under warranty can try send for service. call CSC tmw.
    I photograph the dead.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    not under warranty, I dont think I wanna service also. Was given by this very nice gentlemen who threw it in free on top of his very cheap 350D because I was a student. Actually the lens has fungus too, but it doesn't show up on the pics. So no point trying to repair it I guess. I just wanted to know if the aperture problem has any concern with the body. Imagine if I get a F1.8 lens and can't go below F5.6? ...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    i believe its ur setting. you shld read the manual on the aperature and aperature mode... btw how long you been using ur 350d?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by maximize View Post
    i believe its ur setting. you shld read the manual on the aperature and aperature mode... btw how long you been using ur 350d?
    Hi maximize, I remember you. =X

    I believe its my camera. I just bought a 20mm F1.8 and I am able to bring it all the way down to F1.8, since the other lens seems to be in bad condition, I shall just assume that its simply not working. Oh well.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Question about max Aperture

    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Hi maximize, I remember you. =X

    I believe its my camera. I just bought a 20mm F1.8 and I am able to bring it all the way down to F1.8, since the other lens seems to be in bad condition, I shall just assume that its simply not working. Oh well.
    well, you got it free anyway right? haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •