Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    339

    Default 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Anyone can recommend a 3rd party BP 511A that has low self discharge rates?
    My rechargeable batteries left in an unused digital camera or a drawer for over 1 months often need to be recharged before use.

    Some of the time it will go flat suddenly.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    You do get what you pay for. The vast majority of 3rd party batts are rubbish, even if they have better mAh specs printed on the label.

    Get original, please.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    You do get what you pay for. The vast majority of 3rd party batts are rubbish, even if they have better mAh specs printed on the label.

    Get original, please.
    Ditto!

  4. #4

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Quote Originally Posted by daohuay View Post
    3rd party BP 511A that has low self discharge rates?
    Don't think it exists. I use BP511A as well. My 3rd party are the always primed before a shoot and used first, with the original as backup.
    I discard the 3rd party batts every 6mths of use.
    Come to think of it.... not very environmentally friendly.
    Will discard them every 9 mths then.
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
    Flickr

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Dithiolium View Post
    Don't think it exists. I use BP511A as well. My 3rd party are the always primed before a shoot and used first, with the original as backup.
    I discard the 3rd party batts every 6mths of use.
    Come to think of it.... not very environmentally friendly.
    Will discard them every 9 mths then.
    so most of the 3rd party is roughly the same.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Quote Originally Posted by daohuay View Post
    so most of the 3rd party is roughly the same.
    Of course there will be some who will beg to differ. You MAY be able to get good 3rd party batts, but it's mostly a gamble. Even within the same brand, the QC varies according to batches. I was once a firm believer of using 3rd party batts (why pay more?), but after several instances of dead-batts out of the package, batts that don't even last 1/3 as long as originals despite higher mAh rating, and batts that simply cannot hold charge, I've given up on them. I just didn't have a piece of mind as I didn't know if my back-up batt packs were reliable or not.

    In the end I actually spent more because I eventually bought original again anyway.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  7. #7

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    yeah don't bother with 3rd party. I bought a 400D batt at $18, gone in less than 5 uses.
    Canon 400D 18-55-250IS:)
    My Flickr

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    well for me right now...east gear batts seems to work fine for me you could purchase one or 2 of them to just try it out b4 deciding....
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Just to check how do most ppl do.

    Do u wait for batteries to be completely discharge before charging them?

    (Apply to either orginal or 3rd party battery).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Quote Originally Posted by daohuay View Post
    Just to check how do most ppl do.

    Do u wait for batteries to be completely discharge before charging them?

    (Apply to either orginal or 3rd party battery).
    Well, my vertical grip holds two batts, and when one runs flat, the other will kick in. I don't have any convenient way to discharge the other batt pack, so I just charge from that point.

    However, I do label my battery packs and I rotate them around the battery slots to give each battery a fair go at getting 100% drained.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  11. #11

    Default Re: 3rd party battery low self discharge rates

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    ......
    In the end I actually spent more because I eventually bought original again anyway.....
    Same! So now I only stick to originals.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •