Thread: CPL / UV filter

Default CPL / UV filter

Can anyone advise if a CPL can be use to replace the UV filter? Which means only attach the CPL to the lens for all photo shootings.

I find that by attaching both filters, it will cause vignette esp using on the wide angle lens.
    And it is quite troublesome to change filters during shoots.

Default Re: CPL / UV filter

CPL will result in light lost for the lens. If you can handle the light lost, I think its quite ok. UV on the other hand is mainly for protecting your lens.

constantly stacking filters is not a good idea.

as for attaching CPL permanently, not exactly a good idea.

jus like ppl dun wear sun-glasses 24 hr a day.

It really depends on what you wish to do. Mounting a CPL 24/7 doesn't seem too bright an idea, as several others have pointed. But if you realize that you've always been mounting the CPL on a particular lens, then well, go ahead. You'd soon find out the merits (or demerits) of doing so.

Did you not realise that the CPL cuts down on the light entering your camera?

With an UV + a CPL, yes vignette does occur at certain focal length. But I think that's the way to go. Putting a CPL on 24/7 is not advisable.

You need to know the basics. UV is mainly used just to protect the lens. I feel that's the main usage of an UV. CPL on the other hand is to cut down on reflection off non-metallic objects.

So, know what you need, when to use and you most prob won't go wrong.