Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Tripod Woes

  1. #21

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    my thought of tripod is to get a super light one... when i was in italy for 10 dayz... how i wish my tripod is half lighter.. i cant leave it in hotel cos my iternary is from morning till night and i dun think i will walk back to my hotel in the evening to retrieve the tripod... its expensive... but if u go on a long hoilday... hmm... think abt it...

    of cos a sturdy one will be nice but i dun forsee strong wind will blow it away only clumpsy pple walk past ur camera where u need to be afraid.. but normally i dun leave away from my tripod like 1m away from me.. so not much issue...

    a good tripod head... wah piangz... my is those triple adjustment type... a bit shiong but of cos.. it comes with stability... if u want easier usage... get the ball head type... but do get a good one.. my 482rc broke at the neck during moving around... think knock on a wall... if u hv camera on a ball type and u didnt tigthen properly.. it will tends to creep.. slip.. lens knock on tripod... due to the impact momentum... tripod topple.. heart break... worst case scenario....

    juz a thought to the TS.... a tripod will last a long time... even after ur lens get fungus, most of the time tripod will survive if not excessively abuse... its almost a must to photography... save up for a good one... its really worth it...

  2. #22

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    most tripods depend on the equipment used. If just bringing body + kit lens and 55-250mm most "free gift" light tripods are enough just ensure hang heavy bag on the hook underneath.

    I only bring the heavyweight tripod when time to bring out the big guns.
    I photograph the dead.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    Hello all!

    thank you all the suggestions and insights and they have been really helpful! i do have a rough idea of what i want to get. But i'm really new to photography, i get a little confuse over the different types of tripods out there.

    1) heavy tripods vs light tripods. what's the difference other than the weight?
    2) carbon fiber tripods? do i really need it?
    3) how about benro tripods (since i'm checking them out this weekend at peninsular..)

    my idea of a good tripod is: sturdy, light and not-overly-ex. would be nice if it's pink!

  4. #24

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    1) heavy tripods, can support a lot of weight without collapsing. light tripods easier to carry but low weight tolerance. light tripods that can support lots of weight is awfully expensive.

    2) if you got the cash and know your usage pattern.

    3) decently priced.

    you want pink, spray it pink. You bought it, what you do with it is up to you.
    I photograph the dead.

  5. #25
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    Quote Originally Posted by kat-vorg View Post
    Hello all!

    thank you all the suggestions and insights and they have been really helpful! i do have a rough idea of what i want to get. But i'm really new to photography, i get a little confuse over the different types of tripods out there.

    1) heavy tripods vs light tripods. what's the difference other than the weight?
    2) carbon fiber tripods? do i really need it?
    3) how about benro tripods (since i'm checking them out this weekend at peninsular..)

    my idea of a good tripod is: sturdy, light and not-overly-ex. would be nice if it's pink!
    1. There are differences of good light tripods and bad light tripods. Good light ones are strong and sturdy, but at a cost. The poor ones are flimsy and wobbly, does not afford any stability. Make sure you get the correct one. IF you're comparing the good light ones vs the heavy ones, the main difference is the weight and cost factor.

    2. Carbon fibre is one of the materials used for the tripod legs, light and strong, it has been a replacement for the original steel tripods, but the cost is much higher.

    3. Benro is a brand name. They have various models available...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #26

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    thanks alot for the info! <:

    i do hope i get something of great quality and doesn't cost too much!

  7. #27

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    Quote Originally Posted by kat-vorg View Post
    thanks alot for the info! <:

    i do hope i get something of great quality and doesn't cost too much!
    If in the US, could possible get a army surplus .50cal machine gun tripod at reasonable price.

    unless your kit is really overweight, those self standing monopods should suffice though at the price you could get "not so famous yet okay" tripods. Check out Benro, Yongnuo and so on.
    I photograph the dead.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    for something firm yet don't cost your pocket a hole.. never forget the YongNuo (Gitai) Y-560 Tripod.. there is a user review of the tripod here, headshotzx basically listed down the pros and cons which is necessory for your decision making. anyway JL Photo carries YongNuo (Gitai) tripods, that's where i got my YongNuo (Gitai) Nomad Travel Tripod from, good service i would say. anyway good luck on your tripod hunt.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,651

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    can consider tagotech's tripod.

    its quite a bang for the buck IMO. especially when you use one like once in 2 months. no sense getting anything more expensive.
    You are obviously not experienced enough to draw that kind of conclusion.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    oh tagotech's tripod, i have tried it before i approached JL Photo.

    im a frequent traveller, so i chose JL's nomad travel tripod which is so compact that you can stuff the tripod into the tripod bag (included) and put it nicely into my luggage. well it really depends on individual's needs on choosing tripod. but in my opinion an upgrade is definitely needed as you progress further with photography journey, a note to you bro luntut.

  11. #31
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    You are obviously not experienced enough to draw that kind of conclusion.
    would you care to elaborate more on how you can identify my inexperience on the use of tripods through that sentence of mine, please?
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  12. #32
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Tripod Woes

    Quote Originally Posted by thomaschen View Post
    oh tagotech's tripod, i have tried it before i approached JL Photo.

    im a frequent traveller, so i chose JL's nomad travel tripod which is so compact that you can stuff the tripod into the tripod bag (included) and put it nicely into my luggage. well it really depends on individual's needs on choosing tripod. but in my opinion an upgrade is definitely needed as you progress further with photography journey, a note to you bro luntut.
    upgrade's definitely for sure. that tripod aint gonna follow me for long. and since i only use a tripod to mount my camera iwth a tokina 12-24 at night, that tripod will suffice comfortably. i will not be mounting a 70-200 onto it, so it will not be a course for concern for me.

    Till i am able to comfortably finance a 70-200 VR and a teleconverter, i am sure gonna stick to that tripod now. and it does come with a really nice tripod bag too. tell me if u need a picture to convince any of you.

    thanks for the advice though, bro!
    Last edited by luntut; 17th November 2008 at 12:22 AM.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •