Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Woes

Question Tripod Woes

Hi everyone!

I'm a new user of DSLR and I've been wanting to get a tripod. But what to look out for when you get a tripod? Any recommendation of any tripod that is good and economical for a student? And should I get it at the next IT fair? Thanks!

Default Re: Tripod Woes

Whats your budget ?
    Remember you to factor in the cost of a tripod head as well

Ryan

Good tripod prices don't usually change with IT fairs.

If you need a tripod that's economical, go with this: http://jl-photo.blogspot.com/search/...t%20-%20Tripod

Either the travel 5section tripod (more expensive, compact, lighter, takes more time to set up) or the 3 /4 section tripod (steadier, longer, heavier but costs less).

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

can consider tagotech's tripod.

its quite a bang for the buck IMO. especially when you use one like once in 2 months. no sense getting anything more expensive.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Not sure if this helps but i got my cam at LORDS the other day and the guy recommended a lightweight tripod for my cam, good enough for travelling. Further more, its $40. I feel that its very economical.. =D
    [[nikon-ed]] 2mths before christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by kat-vorg View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm a new user of DSLR and I've been wanting to get a tripod. But what to look out for when you get a tripod? Any recommendation of any tripod that is good and economical for a student? And should I get it at the next IT fair? Thanks!
    I wouldn't reccomend any of those light and cheap ones. UNLESS you dun mind taking a chance that the tripod can topple over and smashing the lens and camera.

Save up for a good one. Make sure tat it is strong and stable enough for the camera and lens. Read up on the other topics already made on this subject.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    no sense getting anything more expensive.
    There is sense getting a good tripod ( although the price often follows exponentially )
    to last the lifespan of your photography.

Of course in this case with cost being a concern, there are other cheaper alternatives

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by kat-vorg View Post
    Hi everyone!

first weight how heavy is your setup. genereally strong yet lighweight will be the most expensive.

actually for most users, the included free tripod can already.
    I photograph the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    UNLESS you dun mind taking a chance that the tripod can topple over and smashing the lens and camera.
    damn! I hate it when ppl say that! Makes my spine tingle!

But, yea, I agree. Get a tripod that firm, sturdy and will last a loong time (years even! )

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    first weight how heavy is your setup. genereally strong yet lighweight will be the most expensive.

actually for most users, the included free tripod can already.
    Those cheap tripods are not worth the anxiety. Strong wind blows and bye bye lens/camera.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, K3, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    damn! I hate it when ppl say that! Makes my spine tingle!

But, yea, I agree. Get a tripod that firm, sturdy and will last a loong time (years even! )
    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Those cheap tripods are not worth the anxiety. Strong wind blows and bye bye lens/camera.
    Problem is such ppl like to play russian roulette with their expensive camera gear... and I dun know why they wanna take such risks when told otherwise.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Tripod is almost like a backbone to the camera when mounted on it, so do u wanna risk it?

When thinking about the weight of your setup, also note how much of the weight is at the front, making the whole setup nose-heavy. Some setups such as heavy telephoto lens without tripod collar or on a light body, makes them even more unstable on a less-than-sturdy tripod.

The free tripods are fine for the light-weight setups they are usually bundled with but don't risk it if you have a heavier setup.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

I wouldn't reccomend any of those light and cheap ones. UNLESS you dun mind taking a chance that the tripod can topple over and smashing the lens and camera.

Save up for a good one. Make sure tat it is strong and stable enough for the camera and lens. Read up on the other topics already made on this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Sometimes we do experience strong wind, just 1 time and it will be GONE!!!

Problem is such ppl like to play russian roulette with their expensive camera gear... and I dun know why they wanna take such risks when told otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Tripod is almost like a backbone to the camera when mounted on it, so do u wanna risk it?
    I rather take a heavy tripod, just treat it as training bi-ceps. I will bear this in mind when I purchase one soon. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    When thinking about the weight of your setup, also note how much of the weight is at the front, making the whole setup nose-heavy. Some setups such as heavy telephoto lens without tripod collar or on a light body, makes them even more unstable on a less-than-sturdy tripod.

The free tripods are fine for the light-weight setups they are usually bundled with but don't risk it if you have a heavier setup.
    Am I right to say getting 2 tripods of light and heavy weight that serves their purpose? Yes if there is budget, no budget better get heavy one first.

i guess so too..

many people adviced me to get one heavy tripod for regular use.. like windy places or uneven terrains...

and a light but sturdy tripod for travelling or on the go..

i have yet to purchase my tripods.. still using the one comes with my d80 purchase.
    Nikon D80 | Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 (2 touch)

A tripod is a must for any serious photographer. A good one will save you heaps of money in the future. My first 2 tripods were disasters because I went for cheap. Last weekend, I saw my relative crashed his L lens because of an unstable tripod. (Ouch!!) So, this kind of story is true.

Other than price, the main points to note when buying a tripod:

1. What pictures you'd normally take (e.g. if you are into Macro, you may need something that allows you to go low)

2. Sturdiness - it is best to try with your most heaviest equipment. Manufacturers will usually state the max allowable weight

3. Ease of use - allowing you to setup and keep at a very fast pace; you don't want to miss a crucial shot just because you take ages to setup your camera on the tripod

4. Transportability - Buy something you feel comfortable enough carrying for 1-2 hours, wth your other gear of course.

5. Precision - If you need to make fine adjustments to your camera angle, etc. then you'd probably need to spend a bit to get a very good head.

Don't be swayed by the brand names. Walk around, try and see what you like. Not all shops carry an extensive range so some shopping around is a must.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

i'd rather pay $$$ for a 2nd hand, condition 6 gitzo/manfrotto than spend the same amt of $$$ on some flimsy, look good, made in (u know where) imitation.

its better to get a good tripod from the start so you don't need to change later on

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Don't be swayed by the brand names. Walk around, try and see what you like. Not all shops carry an extensive range so some shopping around is a must.

Well its like cars...

those with international brand names comes with thousands of hours of research and development put into the making of that product.

while those without much name for the company. usually doesnt come with thousands of hours of research and development.

Although both product comes with the same material, or same specifications. But the prices are a few hundered dollars in difference... The costlier one may have added feature that comes with the research of the company to enhance the sturdiness or strength or reliablity. and the cheaper one might not have any added feature. they might be uglier or bulkier...

Bottom line is that, product research prior to purchase is very important.
    If you are looking for something to serve your purpose. without the cost of the added features. you might wanna consider the best out of the dollar-saving range.

**i hope the grammar i use, make sense**
    Nikon D80 | Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 (2 touch)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast