Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BEWARE OF MONEY CHEATERS for all who travel !!!

Default Re: BEWARE OF MONEY CHEATERS for all who travel !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    I was once approached by a kid, maybe 13 or 14, for money to buy lunch.
    I offered to go with him to the nearby coffeeshop.
    To my surprise, he agreed! So we went and bought a pack of chai peng for him
    That's what I always do during my lunchtime, I take out my shirt and go out in shorts, sure got one who will give this old man some food.........

HS

Went to China on a school trip when I was around pri 4 5 or 6 (forgot). Wanted to buy a hat, gave the lady cny 100, she took it under the counter, swapped it with cny 10 and told me I've not given her enough.

When our teacher came, she showed her I've paid only cny 10 (roughly sgd 2) and that I've taken the hat. Tried to argue but it's 2 against 1, the teacher even reprimanded me for not checking properly before paying. Hey I may be young, but I'm not stupid! I can read notes.

In the end I've to pay the lady the 'remaining'

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Hmmm...

I was asked by 2 china ladies in paris to help them buy gucci bags from the gucci shop. they even passed us 500 euros 1st, and showed us fotos of wat bag to buy. they said they were banned from that shop, so asked us help them buy. We took the $, crossed the road, then decided not to do it, coz our 1st day of holiday, dun wanna ruin it if anything goes wrong.

Anyone know wat kind of scam is this?

that 500 euros is "photocopy" $$

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
    My friend was approached by an old woman in a bus stop. She said she don't have money to take the bus home. Out of kind-heartedness, my friend gave her $2. The bus came. We were surprised she didn't board the bus because there is only 1 bus service for that bus stop. After we board the bus, we saw her talking to primary school girl.
    Mine too happened at a bus-stop.

But mine got a return. This old women is rather plum and she asked me for $2 for food, and while she asked, my bus came and I say "sorry", and I waved my hand saying no then as I got up the bus, then she shouted "F*** you!" I was shocked. And she stared at me as the bus drove off. Man, what is this.
    Last edited by beetlejuice; 30th October 2008 at 11:53 AM.

I ever got a kind person helping me once. He has no obligations to help me at all. But he gave me 50 dollars to pay for my bill. I am very grateful for his kindness.

Till today, I would not reject any helps, if they do come along my way.

I think if you can afford it, just help. It might be a scam, it might not be one too.

Just believe that what goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by therat View Post
    that 500 euros is "photocopy" $$
    The $$ looked real, felt real.

ermmm, errmmmm. Dunno wat to say.

I had a similar experience at Bangkok airport during one of my trips there at the departure hall.

A lady probably late 20s and her mum next to her called out to me for help too. Said they was on a trip there & some of their personal belonging got stolen. Said they had tickets home but not enough cash for transportation. They didnt asked for for any particular sum of money. Just ask me to help with whatever I was comfortable with.

I was a little sceptical but really pity the old mother. Call me soft hearted but ....
    So handed them some cash and wish them a safe journey home.

The lady did pass me a name card and showed me her passport to show it was real name.

Anyway, I will never know if it was genuine or I was conned.

Really, you actually gave them cash? Hmm, back to the same though again, "Was I cheated?" Hate that feeling.

To me I seriously don't mind giving but if provided that I'm damn rich and there wouldn't be a pinch that that's a big sum of cash then fine. If you can afford, you'll just say "take the money and have a safe trip" and you wouldn't even bother to ask them to pay back becoz to you, you're doing a charitable thing like that you'll feel that you have did a good thing whether you are conned or not. You know what I mean.

But in most cases, many of us ain't rich esp when you have just ended your holiday and you have spent much. Its the pinch that make you mad that the money you gave freely is given to a cheater. "I want to strangle him" that kind of feeling. Its this feeling that pisses you off.

And becoz of such experience, you tend to close up and turn cold toward being charitable. Just can't be helped.

Quite sometime ago, a woman around 20+ approached me (twice in a few months period) in Bugis/SLS area, asking for money to help her family in Johor....

Also met a same guy twice asking for money for bus fare twice just 2 days apart.... gave for the 1st day, but reject on the second time...
    Last edited by zcf; 31st October 2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

A fellow approached me in town and quite politely asked for enough money to eat for two days. I decided to give him $2. Then he asked if he can have more money for two days. I walked away suggesting to him to get something first with the $2.

Some people might be in a real pinch. Some might not and so you see those same people asking for small amounts to take the bus etc.

For those who ask for small amounts I imagine it is not easy. (But I may be wrong - maybe some people can make enough money to satisfy their needs) There must be some reason why these people are compelled to ask for money like that.

For those who do it as a, well, profession, asking for or cheating larger amounts of cash, again I wonder why they chose to make money that way.

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Quite sometime ago, a woman around 20+ approached me (twice in a few months period) in Bugis/SLS area, asking for money to help her family in Johor....

Also met a same guy twice asking for money for bus fare twice just 2 days apart.... gave for the 1st day, but reject on the second time...
    I think I know this lady you talking about. She is a con artist. Twice she asked me and she forgot she asked me previously. She ply that area for sometime. Both time the story is difference about her family but she never told me in JB..both time they were Singaporean. She claim she got headache and problem with her head and so can't find job and feed family. Second time I did not give as i told her I remember her and the story she told was not the same. Took her off guard and she walked away.

Here is the kicker... I found out where she stay. Bad luck for her..it is near my office at Bukit Ho Swee/Beo Crescent! She was all grumby looking as she like just wokeup and was down stair her flat at the coffeeshop buying breakfast!. I tap her should and asked her...not "working" at Bugis area today har? Think I shocked her.

In fact I took a picture of her at Bugis the second time I saw her there just before she came to me to ask me for money before I told her off.

So young in her 20s and already like this.

I never give money now. You want to eat or drink..I bring you to the stall to buy it.. but you get no money from me. You still don;t have money to eat the next time I see you, I have no problem buying you a meal again but no money for sure. I got made a fool one time by one and after that I find it hard to believe most of them. There was this old guy who asked me for money for food at the hawker center. Told me he needs another 3 dollars. So I did. Next thing I know, he sat at a table next to mine and order a stout beer to drink! Wahsay....the thickskin on that SOB. He dare to come ask me again for the next few more times thinking I stupid enough to give him again. Sorry...no way and I can still sleep well at night with folks like that I refuse to help.
    Last edited by sammy888; 31st October 2008 at 10:57 PM.

don't think this only happen overseas....I was approached before locally by 3 so-claimed China tourists that they had lost their wallets and needed money to travel back to the hotel, they wanted quite a huge sum, think $50 or so if I remember correctly. Luckily, I read papers and knew there were conmen going around, hence, I didn't bother about them

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Hmmm...

I was asked by 2 china ladies in paris to help them buy gucci bags from the gucci shop. they even passed us 500 euros 1st, and showed us fotos of wat bag to buy. they said they were banned from that shop, so asked us help them buy. We took the $, crossed the road, then decided not to do it, coz our 1st day of holiday, dun wanna ruin it if anything goes wrong.

Anyone know wat kind of scam is this?

Not a scam. They are buying the bags back to China to be used as the master piece to be copied. Basically counterfeiting. I read about it in a book. Yes if you fit a certain profile, u can be banned from buying LV bags at the European stores. Of course they will put it across to you in a diplomatic manner.

Is she a young girl, when she talks to you not very confident? And ask for money cos no money for food?

Blog Entries

You help because you feel it is the right thing to do. if You don wish to help don. Just remember that for every con artist out there, there is a genuine person asking for help. You don stop being a good person by being wary of everyone else.

Don expect rewards when you are doing good or being kind. Just do what you need to do

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I think I know this lady you talking about. She is a con artist. Twice she asked me and she forgot she asked me previously. She ply that area for sometime. Both time the story is difference about her family but she never told me in JB..both time they were Singaporean. She claim she got headache and problem with her head and so can't find job and feed family. Second time I did not give as i told her I remember her and the story she told was not the same. Took her off guard and she walked away.

Here is the kicker... I found out where she stay. Bad luck for her..it is near my office at Bukit Ho Swee/Beo Crescent! She was all grumby looking as she like just wokeup and was down stair her flat at the coffeeshop buying breakfast!. I tap her should and asked her...not "working" at Bugis area today har? Think I shocked her.

In fact I took a picture of her at Bugis the second time I saw her there just before she came to me to ask me for money before I told her off.

So young in her 20s and already like this.

I never give money now. You want to eat or drink..I bring you to the stall to buy it.. but you get no money from me. You still don;t have money to eat the next time I see you, I have no problem buying you a meal again but no money for sure. I got made a fool one time by one and after that I find it hard to believe most of them. There was this old guy who asked me for money for food at the hawker center. Told me he needs another 3 dollars. So I did. Next thing I know, he sat at a table next to mine and order a stout beer to drink! Wahsay....the thickskin on that SOB. He dare to come ask me again for the next few more times thinking I stupid enough to give him again. Sorry...no way and I can still sleep well at night with folks like that I refuse to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Is she a young girl, when she talks to you not very confident? And ask for money cos no money for food?
    around 20+.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

around 20+.
    Must be same girl..... she approached me at the traffic light next to Sim Lim. It went like this.

Girl stammering: Excuse me can I talk to you...

I am looking for job but no job now, I already apply. I need 2 dollars to buy bee hoon. Can give?

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Must be same girl..... she approached me at the traffic light next to Sim Lim. It went like this.

Girl stammering: Excuse me can I talk to you...

I am looking for job but no job now, I already apply. I need 2 dollars to buy bee hoon. Can give?
    heyyy...i think this is the girl who conned my friend! asking for 2 dollar to buy food oso! outside sim lim as well! OMG!
    おれのflickrださ

around 20+.
    Same one for sure! .... I was searching for the photo I shot of her..not sure which CD I have save it to already hehe...will show it if I found it.

She will ask you in mandarin if she can ask you something and when I told her I can not speak it, she spoke english instead. Pretty good english too not like someone with very broken english at that.

Twice I saw her...she carried an umbrella. I take it maybe it was to fend off anyone trying to catch her if her cover is blown hehehe.....
    Last edited by sammy888; 2nd November 2008 at 04:34 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12