Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEWARE OF MONEY CHEATERS for all who travel !!!

Exclamation BEWARE OF MONEY CHEATERS for all who travel !!!

Dear fellow friends,

here's a warning to all who travels overseas.

Recently a friend of mine were in Bangkok for a holiday. On the 21st Oct 2008, they were heading back to Singapore at Bangkok International Airport when they were approached by 2 chinese who claimed they are from China. But they told my friend that her manager got drunk during a business networking session at a KTV and lost his wallet and they needed about 600 RMB (S$130) more to buy a ticket back to China. And out of pity, my friend gave him the money. They exchanged contact numbers with namecard and they say they'll call back and transfer back the money.

(They may change their name and namecard)

1 week later, no news from them. My friend's China friend tried to call back but both numbers were off or not in used. And if they are from China, the chinese used should be in simple chinese. This chinese in this namecard is mainly used in Hong Kong or Taiwan.
    He was Cheated!

So to you all, please, don't be such a kind-hearted person when it comes to money matters. Yes, I know that you might wanna help but if you're super rich and a hundred plus may be peanuts to you BUT I just hope that no one will go through this like how my friend go through.

Do spread this to all your friends who travels.

Thanks!
    Last edited by beetlejuice; 29th October 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Default Re: BEWARE OF MONEY CHEATERS for all who travel !!!

Your friend asked for it.

oldest trick in the book.. the 'hey stranger, can-i-borrow-a-few-hundred-bucks, i'll-pay-you-back-later' trick has been highlighted so many times already.

by the way, your friend intersted in this magic stone than can turn his $50 bills into $100 bills?

Deregistered

c'mon dude.

Your friend should know, he is in other Country. NOT SINGAPORE.
    and china he should know there are many con man around. . .

well, it's a lesson learn for him.

Who will ask for it on such happenings?!

I guess they're a little innocent and unaware of what to do. Its just out of pity.
    Last edited by beetlejuice; 29th October 2008 at 01:21 PM.

There is no need for telling my friend on the facts. What's done is done.

We all know that he shouldn't be gaving cash.

But its for those whose hearts can tend to be soft.

Just be careful ya.
    Last edited by beetlejuice; 29th October 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Wow your friend is VERY kind. I wish I had a friend like him. No, not to cheat him. But I know these are the sort of people we can depend on when we are in need of help urgently.

Unfortunately, this is a big bad world. It's sad that such kindness is exploited that in turn makes fewer genuinely caring and kind people from stepping forward to help when it's really time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Wow your friend is VERY kind. I wish I had a friend like him. No, not to cheat him. But I know these are the sort of people we can depend on when we are in need of help urgently.

Unfortunately, this is a big bad world. It's sad that such kindness is exploited that in turn makes fewer genuinely caring and kind people from stepping forward to help when it's really time to do so.
    Precisely. you're right, my friend is although not very rich, but when my friends and I got some financial issues like paying bills, he'll be there to help for the time being. He is a really generous person.

But too kind-hearted somehow doesn't pay off esp when you're overseas. Sad.

Corrupted world it is.
    Last edited by beetlejuice; 29th October 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Sad to hear your friend got conned, he did nothing wrong by offering help. This is a tough world for the kind-hearted, though. Your friend's concience is clear, and the money can be earned back, lesson learned, but hope his good-nature doesn't fade with one unfortunate incident.

Thanks, but though its a costly lesson learned,

but I believed that what you do to others, one day it will eventually you get back to you someday as everything in life goes in a cycle.

TS, thanks for sharing with us.

my sympathies goes out to your fren but ur fren has learned a good lesson n hope that he gets smarter after this.

think the Durai, MingYi, Lehman case has not taught Singaporean to be street-smart.

I have met a couple who were well dressed and ask for 1000 baht from me when I was at the airport back in May this year. They gave me name card citing high post but I ignored ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

As long they are stranger to me , I just smile at them and walk off. No time to bother them. Lousy old trick.... ok lah $130 small amount. No need travel also will kena cheat. Like those coy and pg engaged photographer to shoot their event.When come to payment,they start to dont answer your call lah, wrong number lah. boss not in.... etc.
    Mee Poh Man. "I am kampong man"

My friend was approached by an old woman in a bus stop. She said she don't have money to take the bus home. Out of kind-heartedness, my friend gave her $2. The bus came. We were surprised she didn't board the bus because there is only 1 bus service for that bus stop. After we board the bus, we saw her talking to primary school girl.

everytime in singapore someone asks me for money i tell them go ask lee kuan yew. after you ask him, then you ask the million dollar ministers. until you ask them, don't ask me.

yep, sad, but it could have been worse for your friend. they could have told him come and meet my boss or something to lure him and cut his neck. and for one bro who said something along the lines of thailand is not singapore...i got news for you, people will rip you off in a heartbeat in singapore as well.

as always, keep smiling

these things happened to my fren in singapore. the china girls ask for money to buy lunch. so fake her request, my fren oso wan to giv...sigh...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    these things happened to my fren in singapore. the china girls ask for money to buy lunch. so fake her request, my fren oso wan to giv...sigh...
    I was once approached by a kid, maybe 13 or 14, for money to buy lunch.
    I offered to go with him to the nearby coffeeshop.
    To my surprise, he agreed! So we went and bought a pack of chai peng for him

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    Had a similar case before, was approached by this lady who needs money to buy lunch. My gf was alert and she offered to bring the lady to a food court and ask her what she want to eat and pay for her. The lady said never mind and walk away.....
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Hmmm...

I was asked by 2 china ladies in paris to help them buy gucci bags from the gucci shop. they even passed us 500 euros 1st, and showed us fotos of wat bag to buy. they said they were banned from that shop, so asked us help them buy. We took the $, crossed the road, then decided not to do it, coz our 1st day of holiday, dun wanna ruin it if anything goes wrong.

Anyone know wat kind of scam is this?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Hmmm...

I was asked by 2 china ladies in paris to help them buy gucci bags from the gucci shop. they even passed us 500 euros 1st, and showed us fotos of wat bag to buy. they said they were banned from that shop, so asked us help them buy. We took the $, crossed the road, then decided not to do it, coz our 1st day of holiday, dun wanna ruin it if anything goes wrong.

Anyone know wat kind of scam is this?

You mean, you ran away with their Euro 500?

HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast