Thread: how to resize photo in PS

Default how to resize photo in PS

lets say i got a photo 1024 X 768

and i wanna resize it to 1024 X 600

but when i use image resize it seems like it will make my photos seems out of shape (the image)

what to do so that only the top / bottm 168 pixels can just be subtracted ???

Quote Originally Posted by dennislim

but when i use image resize it seems like it will make my photos seems out of shape (the image)

go to image --> canvas size

from there i think u'll be able to figure out.. cannot come back here post again.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO

from there i think u'll be able to figure out.. cannot come back here post again.
    thanks i got it =)

just found at the NLB a tonne of photoshop books and manuals, from version 5 to 7. those wanting to be PS expert and go there and grab. *muscle warning* the majority of them are BIG and HEAVY!

Moved to digital darkroom. Uncle Togu can help.

Quote Originally Posted by dennislim

Alternatively, you can select Cropping tool, fill in 1024 and 600 in the width, height fields. After that, regardless of how you crop, you'll always get that size with the correct ratio.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Moved to digital darkroom. Uncle Togu can help.
    Hm....uncle?

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    Alternatively, you can select Cropping tool, fill in 1024 and 600 in the width, height fields. After that, regardless of how you crop, you'll always get that size with the correct ratio.

Hope this helps.

oh yah.. ahha that's probably a better way..

oh yah.. ahha that's probably a better way..
    Both works actually.

Quote Originally Posted by togu

Hope this helps.

Just wanna to know whether this method will degrade the quality of the photo...
    Let's say I have a 1024x768 pic, I wanna to crop about 3/4 of the pic to 1024x768 also... Will this decrease the no. of pixels/in(degrade the quality of the photo)??

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuz
    Just wanna to know whether this method will degrade the quality of the photo...
    Let's say I have a 1024x768 pic, I wanna to crop about 3/4 of the pic to 1024x768 also... Will this decrease the no. of pixels/in(degrade the quality of the photo)??
    yes it will.. u're essentially enlarging the photo then chopping it off back to size.

will changing the Canvas size distort the image?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapman
    will changing the Canvas size distort the image?

If you specify a smaller canvas size, PS will crop the image to whatever size you specify. Whereas if you specify a bigger canvas size, PS will add on some space using your current active background colour to the image. Don't think there will be any distortion, since no resampling involved.