Thread: Life in old age

Default Life in old age

A cropped candid shot which I took today as I sat around in Bedok Central passing my time. Does this shot portray the feeling of old age, even though it is only a back view of the man?

I took this shot instinctively when he walked passed and only managed to capture this view, but later upon consideration, it may not be as strong when the face can be clearly seen.

Comments? Thanks in advance.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Default Re: Life in old age

Definitely not as strong as a frontal shot, as we do not really see how he's feeling about old age. The slumped shoulders somewhat contrasts the cigarette and huge ring he has on his right hand. Not sure whether he's livin' it up, or whether he's downcast.

the first thing that caught my eyes were the cigarette coz if you noticed... i think he put the wrong side if it into his mouth...

and i would have to agree tat it is not as strong an image as i would love to see his facial expression...
    internet marketing skeptic no more --> http://www.richestsg.com/ayie1786/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayie1786 View Post
    the first thing that caught my eyes were the cigarette coz if you noticed... i think he put the wrong side if it into his mouth...

and i would have to agree tat it is not as strong an image as i would love to see his facial expression...
    Finally someone noticed the cigarette....

Tat was the subtle part of the old age I was mentioning. I was wondering if the old chap had been so forgetful til he turned the cigarette the other way around and didn't even notice it. I observed him a while more after the shot and he took out the cigarette, it was lit before and then a while later he inserted it again the wrong way in....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hi Zac08,

Great effort!

Some areas that might provide strong visual cues of old age:

- Black and white colours of photos
    - Coverage of the environment (isolation, run-down buildings, children around the elderly, elderly enaging in activities to spend their time etc)
    - Wrinkles on the face/ hands/ body
    - Attire
    - Hunched/fragile posture

You might like to include such elements into your shots.