Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended places to learn basic photography

Default Recommended places to learn basic photography

Hi..

Just checking if any brothers/sisters can recommend any places in singapore to learn intensive basic photography lessons. i.e knowledge bowl/SSOP or others.

Perhaps if anyone willing to do coaching do pm me as well.

Thanks!

Default Re: Recommended places to learn basic photography

Quote Originally Posted by ryuuu View Post
    Hi..

Just checking if any brothers/sisters can recommend any places in singapore to learn intensive basic photography lessons. i.e knowledge bowl/SSOP or others.

Perhaps if anyone willing to do coaching do pm me as well.

Thanks!
    Go library get a book and then using the examples mess around with your camera. The more you use the camera, the more you know what it can do. I think thats the best way to learn.
    I photograph the dead.

i rem that if you bought a nikon camera, you can have a free basic photography course from Nikon.
    dunno is it still valid or not

Hi.

Thanks for all the views. In case anyone have not notice, I requested for places, not books. Have read books, but would like to try courses.

Ya, so do keep the inputs coming.

check if your community centre conducts photography classes first.
    I photograph the dead.

can try objectifs too.
    objectifs.com.sg

Hi
    I have attended 2 workshops with the knowledge bowl with Steven Yee recently and I have found them very beneficial. The proficiency class was really cost-effective.
    You can look up the content of the basic class. If they have a few hours on hands-on outing, you'll be taught exactly what to set to produce results.
    I agree with you that sometimes/some people need more guidance /spoon feeding. I have uploaded some photos in my blog, check it out.
    But I think do get familiarised with your camera as much as possible to get the most out of any course you choose.
    EF
    Saccades

Quote Originally Posted by Estherfu View Post
    Hi
    I have attended 2 workshops with the knowledge bowl with Steven Yee recently and I have found them very beneficial. The proficiency class was really cost-effective.
    You can look up the content of the basic class. If they have a few hours on hands-on outing, you'll be taught exactly what to set to produce results.
    I agree with you that sometimes/some people need more guidance /spoon feeding. I have uploaded some photos in my blog, check it out.
    But I think do get familiarised with your camera as much as possible to get the most out of any course you choose.
    EF
    Saccades
    The idea is when you pay for a class, you have tons of questions to ask as to why your camera for some reason cannot do something and so on. So just use the camera as much as possible first to find out what questions you need to ask.
    I photograph the dead.

i had attended both basic and advance classs from the ntuc photography named photography 2020
    it include theory and field trips...
    you can check it out at www.youngntuc.com.sg

There are quite a number of basic photography courses posted at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121 which you can consider.

In addition, you can check out courses offerred by safra photographic club (http://safraphotoclub.com/main/index.php) and objectifs (http://www.objectifs.com.sg/photo.htm)

BTW, sub-station has a very good basic photography course (by Mr Lim Seng Tiong). Heard that the september training was postponed. Perhaps you can call them to check when will be the next course. Check it out at http://www.substation.org/courses/ba...otography.html

Can check out Photographic Society of Singapore. They run numerous courses a year.

http://www.pss1950.org/
    D300|18-135mm F3.5-5.6|Tokina 12-24mm F4|AFS 70-200mm F2.8|SB-800|

Why bother looking? you are in a place where all the pros are(not me) Just take shots and learn or learn from other people's shots around the galleries. Start here. It's a marvelous place to start. Check out the C&C and see whether you make the same mistakes. Then try out and post all you like

http://www.objectifs.com.sg/

great place to start photography and their advance courses should not be missed.

Glad to receive so many inputs...Already know what I should do.
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by wuminlee View Post
    i rem that if you bought a nikon camera, you can have a free basic photography course from Nikon.
    dunno is it still valid or not
    If you get canon....similiar course offered by EOS academic.....

I myself attending PSS (Photographers Society of Singapore) you can go www.pss1950.org
    Olympus EP3, OMD-EM5, 14-42mm, 12-50mm, 9-18mm, 14-150mm

Check this out

http://digitallab.canon.com.sg/scheduleregister.html

Basic Photography Course - Practical Techniques for Beginners
    (Fee: SGD 200)

Lesson 1 - Introduction
    • Photography versus snapshots
    • Digital SLR concepts
    • Lenses
    • White Balance
    • Filters
    • Flash
    • RAW versus JPEG
    • Photo editing software

Lesson 2 – Understanding Exposure
    • Aperture
    • Shutter Speed
    • Aperture, Shutter Speed with ISO
    • 1/focal length explained
    • Creative effect from Aperture: Depth of Field
    • Creative effect from Shutter Speed: Controlling movements
    Lesson 3 – Practical field trip 1
    • Controlling Exposure
    • Practicing Depth of Field
    • Controlling movements on various subjects

Lesson 4 – Metering & basic flash
    • Understanding Metering: How your camera respond to light
    • Evaluative, Partial & Spot Metering
    • Using camera’s built-in flash
    • Using external Speedlite flash
    • Bounced versus Direct flash

Lesson 5
    • Metering in various lighting conditions
    • Getting the right exposure from low to high contrast scene
    • Backlighting situation
    • Using flash
    • Slow Sync and 2nd Curtain Sync flash
    Lesson 6
    • Output & presentation
    • Basic RAW conversion
    • Basic photo editing demonstration
    • Printing
    Olympus EP3, OMD-EM5, 14-42mm, 12-50mm, 9-18mm, 14-150mm

hi! like to find out if anyone has attended or heard of any reviews of the basic photography course by NAFA? they are starting classes next year but registration takes place about now...like to know if they are any good...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sanwong View Post
    hi! like to find out if anyone has attended or heard of any reviews of the basic photography course by NAFA? they are starting classes next year but registration takes place about now...like to know if they are any good...thanks!
    That depends on the trainer. do you know who is teaching and the qualifications?
    I photograph the dead.

was reading the course synopses they mailed me and it doesnt say much actually...sounds pretty basic, here it goes -

"an introduction to photographic processing techniques and permanently making an image by traditional and digital means, basic photo composition rules, demo on film processing and traditional darkroom printing & guidance on projects by the digital method"

its a 20 week course at $1200, didnt say who are the trainers though...i guess i would have to drop by and understand more... thot it wd be gd to get 1st hand account of someone who has attended or some 2nd opinion on the course...

Quote Originally Posted by sanwong View Post
    was reading the course synopses they mailed me and it doesnt say much actually...sounds pretty basic, here it goes -

"an introduction to photographic processing techniques and permanently making an image by traditional and digital means, basic photo composition rules, demo on film processing and traditional darkroom printing & guidance on projects by the digital method"

its a 20 week course at $1200, didnt say who are the trainers though...i guess i would have to drop by and understand more... thot it wd be gd to get 1st hand account of someone who has attended or some 2nd opinion on the course...
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121

above and Canon`s courses are what i would recommend if the place you are considering doesnt say too much about its trainers. Contrary to what people may think, i believe its the trainers that make a course popular or a failure.

besides, their courses are $200-ish for 10 week courses compared to $1.2k for a 20 week course if its one lesson per week.

this discussion is starting to resemble like asking which driving centre is better and which private instructor is best.
    Last edited by Flashbulb; 5th November 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    I photograph the dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast