Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    hi all,

    how do i take a pic with myself in it using DSLR with tripod and wireless remote controller? The problem is when I focus, there is no object to focus...how can i ensure my face will still look sharp when the pic is taken?

    thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Try composing knowing where you will stand, set your focus point there and go stand there,
    Then activate the AF with your remote control and it should focus on you
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    You are referring to self portrait right?

    must think outside the box...

    first compose the camera to aim where you suppose to pose

    dismount the camera from tripod

    pose where you are suppose to be with the camera in hands,

    focus at the tripod mount, and switch to manual focus,

    mount the camera back to tripod set to self timer,

    activate self timer and go back to pose.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Either find something at the same distance to focus on, or use MF.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    hmm..that's interesting..

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    This is uncanny, I just did this a hour ago for my passport photo.

    Basically, just use AF take a couple of shots. Use a wider angle, crop later.

    Stopping down the aperture also helps.
    Last edited by ahbian; 27th October 2008 at 04:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You are referring to self portrait right?

    must think outside the box...

    first compose the camera to aim where you suppose to pose

    dismount the camera from tripod

    pose where you are suppose to be with the camera in hands,

    focus at the tripod mount, and switch to manual focus,

    mount the camera back to tripod set to self timer,

    activate self timer and go back to pose.
    that sounds more complicated than i thought...for a beginner like me...and also it s very time consuming to take a pic...especially if i m with tour group...everything is so rush...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Try composing knowing where you will stand, set your focus point there and go stand there,
    Then activate the AF with your remote control and it should focus on you
    my understanding is that...i hv to press halfway to focus before pressing the remote control. will it be smart enough to re-focus again when i press the remote control?

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin77 View Post
    that sounds more complicated than i thought...for a beginner like me...and also it s very time consuming to take a pic...especially if i m with tour group...everything is so rush...
    You meant taking group photos or just yourself during tours?

    Taking yourself, just pass the camera to someone else?

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin77 View Post
    that sounds more complicated than i thought...for a beginner like me...and also it s very time consuming to take a pic...especially if i m with tour group...everything is so rush...
    Eh. Then just pass the cam to another member on the group.

    something that simple and still must teach?
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin77 View Post
    my understanding is that...i hv to press halfway to focus before pressing the remote control. will it be smart enough to re-focus again when i press the remote control?
    Yes it would be smart enough.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Eh. Then just pass the cam to another member on the group.

    something that simple and still must teach?
    good point...but i believe not all ppls know how to press halfway...based on my experience...and not many ppl know how to handle DSLR...ends up the pic taken is worse...

    moreover, everyone in the group also busy taking their own pics...

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin77 View Post
    that sounds more complicated than i thought...for a beginner like me...and also it s very time consuming to take a pic...especially if i m with tour group...everything is so rush...
    aiyoh, if you are shooting with a group, just focus at anybody will do...

    I'm referring to you do a SELF PORTRAIT at out of nowhere, which you don't have any reference point to focus on. or you have to focus at the ground where you will stand later.

    anywhere, my method is when you focus on the tripod mount, is the same distance as your camera focus on your eyes when mounted on tripod.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Alternatively, you could (after setting an appropriate DoF ) set the camera to MF and focus at any random thing that'll be close to your head when you stand in the frame.

    I mean... if you set your aperture to f8, and stand a couple of metres away, it's kinda hard to screw up

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    aiyoh, if you are shooting with a group, just focus at anybody will do...

    I'm referring to you do a SELF PORTRAIT at out of nowhere, which you don't have any reference point to focus on. or you have to focus at the ground where you will stand later.

    anywhere, my method is when you focus on the tripod mount, is the same distance as your camera focus on your eyes when mounted on tripod.
    Thanks...i'll try that...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    For me, I'll do the following with my camera, tripod, and umbrella-lightstand-flash setup

    • Set up camera on tripod
    • Set to 10s timer
    • Set up lightstand with umbrella
    • Place lightstand on the spot where I want to stand
    • Autofocus on the lightstand
    • Set lens to MF
    • Mark floor with.. something to know where to stand (i place a tissue pack, for example)
    • Place lightstand where I want to light from
    • Set up reflectors (if any)
    • Start timer
    • Stand at designated spot
    • Self portrait
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  17. #17

    Default Re: How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    For me, I'll do the following with my camera, tripod, and umbrella-lightstand-flash setup

    • Set up camera on tripod
    • Set to 10s timer
    • Set up lightstand with umbrella
    • Place lightstand on the spot where I want to stand
    • Autofocus on the lightstand
    • Set lens to MF
    • Mark floor with.. something to know where to stand (i place a tissue pack, for example)
    • Place lightstand where I want to light from
    • Set up reflectors (if any)
    • Start timer
    • Stand at designated spot
    • Self portrait
    You do that when touring?? Don't forget to smile.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •