Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Default Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    My female friend has had 2 complaints within two weeks of starting work. Can she get fired because of this? Is the company trying to tell her to quit? She has had no work problems. In addition, she says that initially she had cold sweat becuase the aircon was too cold and she was very nervous when she started work. After that it was better, the aircon was adjusted and she got use to the environment but the boss says she has this problem. As her friend, I feel that they are overreacting as she only sweats a bit and they are complaining. How about other men or women who sweat worst than this - in bigger companies and are doing marketing or sales. Does the boss/ client complain?

    Just added:

    Admin job in a small office with at least 10 people in the room.
    Last edited by dancemania; 27th October 2008 at 11:47 AM.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    best to ask MOM for the real answer

    unless we have an official MOM spokesperson
    everything posted here is only hearsay and still need to be verified by MOM

    also do read the appointment letter for T&C

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    My female friend has had 2 complaints within two weeks of starting work. Can she get fired because of this? Is the company trying to tell her to quit? She has had no work problems. In addition, she says that initially she had cold sweat becuase the aircon was too cold and she was very nervous when she started work. After that it was better, the aircon was adjusted and she got use to the environment but the boss says she has this problem. As her friend, I feel that they are overreacting as she only sweats a bit and they are complaining. How about other men or women who sweat worst than this - in bigger companies and are doing marketing or sales. Does the boss/ client complain?
    It depends on what kind of job.

    If you are a doctor, physiotherapist, sport therapist, or just working in spa, BO is a BIG problem.

    However, if you are doing work which tend to be alone for long periods of time, BO can be controlled using deodorant products when you need to meet others.

    Sit down and talk to the boss regarding this issue and maybe offer solutions instead of guessing....
    Last edited by Caspere; 27th October 2008 at 11:46 AM.
    CS says, "We can't help you ignore yourself."

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    well, if the boss 'dislike' her, she's better off in a new environment, cos can see that she will be stuck in that position for a very long time.

    ask her to put on deodorant and perfume and see their reaction, if they accept her, good... else i think the problem is something else, the complain of her body odor is merely a trigger.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    It depends on what kind of job.

    If you are a doctor, physiotherapist, sport therapist, or just working in spa, BO is a BIG problem.

    However, if you are doing work which tend to be alone for long periods of time, BO can be controlled using deodorant products when you need to meet others.

    Sit down and talk to the boss regarding this issue and maybe offer solutions instead of guessing....
    She has already consulted the doc - no medication. Changed deodorant. The boss says he wants to introduce aroma therapy to the office. Don't you think that would make matters worst. Aroma therapy stinks + her BO.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    She has already consulted the doc - no medication. Changed deodorant. The boss says he wants to introduce aroma therapy to the office. Don't you think that would make matters worst. Aroma therapy stinks + her BO.
    btw, just asking only, ignore if u want...

    can you take her BO?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well, if the boss 'dislike' her, she's better off in a new environment, cos can see that she will be stuck in that position for a very long time.

    ask her to put on deodorant and perfume and see their reaction, if they accept her, good... else i think the problem is something else, the complain of her body odor is merely a trigger.
    How can the boss dislike her when she has even done anything wrong or is hardly around. Do you think it is her age? There is one girl who is half her age and maybe she does not like older people. She is not the only older staff there.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    btw, just asking only, ignore if u want...

    can you take her BO?
    To me, her BO is ok. Very mild.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    To me, her BO is ok. Very mild.
    Could it be the food she eats, or the oils she puts on her hair? I know some friends who people mistakely thinks BO when its their preference for certain oilments and hair oils and even food they consumes. Somehow the meats in their diet interacts with their body enzymes and emit smells obvious to some people.. (I am guessing here due to my experience with some friends)
    CS says, "We can't help you ignore yourself."

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Could it be the food she eats, or the oils she puts on her hair? I know some friends who people mistakely thinks BO when its their preference for certain oilments and hair oils and even food they consumes. Somehow the meats in their diet interacts with their body enzymes and emit smells obvious to some people.. (I am guessing here due to my experience with some friends)
    She's chinese. No oils in her hair. Doesn't eat - onions, pork, oily, spicy or chilly either. Eats alot of bread.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  11. #11

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    How about lamb?
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  12. #12

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Acute and chronic BO may be due to many factors.

    Has yr friend sought specialist medical assistance instead of just GP assistance? Other alternatives to consider could be homeopathic and natural remedies, as well as things like using certain crystal salts to absorb/combat the odor.

    Also, be aware that the powers that be can only go so far as to enforce existing LAWS, if there is no specific and enforced/enforceable law to combat or minimise a certain prejudice .....

  13. #13

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    To be honest, as cruel as it is, BO is a big problem. Back in my school days, we had this classmate with a terrible Bo problem, and we knew it was medical. Yet most of us still couldn't stand being around her in an enclosed room. I could understand her colleagues and bosses, they feel that they shouldn't have to suffer for no reason.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

  14. #14

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    My female friend has had 2 complaints within two weeks of starting work. Can she get fired because of this? Is the company trying to tell her to quit? She has had no work problems. In addition, she says that initially she had cold sweat becuase the aircon was too cold and she was very nervous when she started work. After that it was better, the aircon was adjusted and she got use to the environment but the boss says she has this problem. As her friend, I feel that they are overreacting as she only sweats a bit and they are complaining. How about other men or women who sweat worst than this - in bigger companies and are doing marketing or sales. Does the boss/ client complain?

    Just added:

    Admin job in a small office with at least 10 people in the room.

    NO, i won't fire her,
    for i won't even hire her in the first place.

    i might be the odd one though, cos i avoid food court if possible,
    take away if i can,
    for i can't take the oily smell that lingers on the clothing.

  15. #15
    Member Parka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    If it comes to the point that her presense affects the productivity of other people, she has to go.

    No judgement here. It's just work, if overall productivity drops, and it may because people would be spending time talking about body odour and thinking about body odour.

    Here are two audio podcasts relating to body odour at work, from management perspective

    How to handle, yes, body odour (part 1)

    How to Handle Body Odor (Part 2 of 2)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    If she can't take perfume, and some perfumes will stop emitting smell after a few hrs, there is also this powder with perfume smell (forgot the name, but it was an english name)...........and it also absorbs some of the body odour

    HS

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    maybe adjusting her diet will help a wee bit more....

  18. #18

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    Use deodorant?? or use those anti-sweat spray to prevent sweating?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    that time my friend's doctor reccomended him to use dettol soap or body wash...
    using those anti-bacterial shower foam helps to combat the bacteria...
    this page might be a good read...

  20. #20

    Default Re: Can someone get fired because of body odour?

    This is not an MOM question. It's a contractual question.

    Typical employment contracts allow either party to terminate for convenience with notice, or cash in lieu of notice.


    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    best to ask MOM for the real answer

    unless we have an official MOM spokesperson
    everything posted here is only hearsay and still need to be verified by MOM

    also do read the appointment letter for T&C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •