Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Thanks for the input....my intention to get the monitor to pair with my new rig at the end of the year. Most probably will be running HDMI videos more often. The extra inputs from the monitor will assist me in one point or other. Most probably will be more affordable to me if I pay through installment.

    I have a 22" wide screen philips LCD, not HDMI, see if you are interested.
    i need 1920x2400 lah...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Orchard Area
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    How hard would it have been to design a thin bezel? What's the matter with Philips? Can't they see nobody likes wide, fat bezels?

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    I don't mean to brand bash here... but from my personal experience, Philips customer service for their LCD monitors suck! If you get a set with no problems, good for you. But if you get a set with problems during the warranty period, you will puke blood trying to get them to fix it!

    I bought a Philips monitor few years ago and unfortunately, I got a set with a blue dot. This was when it was brand new - just taken out of box, set up... and saw the blue dot. Called shop, shop said to send to Philips. Called Philips, they came and brought the set back... and her is when all the problems began.

    They refused to replace the set but said they will replace the panel... BUT they did not have the panel... so have to wait. I am summarising everything here... actually in between, there were a lot of "I don't know" answers and when I asked to speack to the manager or asked the manager to return my calls MANY TIMES, the manager never bothered. OK... so after A FEW MONTHS, with poor service and frustration for me during this time, I finally got my monitor back.

    No bright spots... BUT, in their rough handling of my monitor, there were ugly dents at the side of the bezel. I think they used screwdrivers to forcefully open the monitor with obvious lack of skill, resulting is severe and ugly dents. So I was not very happy (please bear in mind this supposed to be a brand new monitor out of box. Condition was worse than the worst 2nd hand monitor u can find) and I called them and told them about that. Again, came and took monitor back... and the usual waste of time and frustration and can't-be-bothered-to-return-your-call stuff... and then got my monitor back again... and guess what? No bright spots, no dents, BUT now there is a ugly dark patch to the top right 1/3 of the monitor! I have no idea what is this dark patch but it is definitely not dirt - cannot be cleaned off no matter what I use and it looks like an internal thing - really strange and really can't imagine what they have done to cause this.

    By then, I have already sent my monitor back to them twice consecutively, wasting lots of time... I was sick and tired of putting up with their nonsense, waiting, and just sick of them. Besides, I was quite convinced at that point, that they were unable to get anything right at all - each time they fix something, they have to introduce a new problem. They are really incredible and had made me thoroughly give up on them... so I just have to live with this dark patch on my monitor and face it everyday till today! BIG THANKS TO PHILIPS!

    I am just sharing my experience and letting you know that this is the risk involved in getting a Philips monitor - something that I will avoid for the rest of my life, I think.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I don't mean to brand bash here... but from my personal experience, Philips customer service for their LCD monitors suck! If you get a set with no problems, good for you. But if you get a set with problems during the warranty period, you will puke blood trying to get them to fix it!

    I bought a Philips monitor few years ago and unfortunately, I got a set with a blue dot. This was when it was brand new - just taken out of box, set up... and saw the blue dot. Called shop, shop said to send to Philips. Called Philips, they came and brought the set back... and her is when all the problems began.

    They refused to replace the set but said they will replace the panel... BUT they did not have the panel... so have to wait. I am summarising everything here... actually in between, there were a lot of "I don't know" answers and when I asked to speack to the manager or asked the manager to return my calls MANY TIMES, the manager never bothered. OK... so after A FEW MONTHS, with poor service and frustration for me during this time, I finally got my monitor back.

    No bright spots... BUT, in their rough handling of my monitor, there were ugly dents at the side of the bezel. I think they used screwdrivers to forcefully open the monitor with obvious lack of skill, resulting is severe and ugly dents. So I was not very happy (please bear in mind this supposed to be a brand new monitor out of box. Condition was worse than the worst 2nd hand monitor u can find) and I called them and told them about that. Again, came and took monitor back... and the usual waste of time and frustration and can't-be-bothered-to-return-your-call stuff... and then got my monitor back again... and guess what? No bright spots, no dents, BUT now there is a ugly dark patch to the top right 1/3 of the monitor! I have no idea what is this dark patch but it is definitely not dirt - cannot be cleaned off no matter what I use and it looks like an internal thing - really strange and really can't imagine what they have done to cause this.

    By then, I have already sent my monitor back to them twice consecutively, wasting lots of time... I was sick and tired of putting up with their nonsense, waiting, and just sick of them. Besides, I was quite convinced at that point, that they were unable to get anything right at all - each time they fix something, they have to introduce a new problem. They are really incredible and had made me thoroughly give up on them... so I just have to live with this dark patch on my monitor and face it everyday till today! BIG THANKS TO PHILIPS!

    I am just sharing my experience and letting you know that this is the risk involved in getting a Philips monitor - something that I will avoid for the rest of my life, I think.
    u bo yuan with philips like i bo yuan with sony...

    but overall most of my LCD monitors are Philips, now have 2 170b4s infront of me, few 170Sx and office use 190Bs all no problem...

    i remember i bought a 190B few years back, then i bring back to plug in, then i see smoke emit out of the box, called up their CS to inform them, then they say will send a new set to me on next working day... then on monday i received a new set, no questions asked and upgraded model. so far, philips never have much problems with their RMAs, like their old genie fone, i bring there 1 to 1 exchange, no questions asked.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    bought 1 from SLS on sat... so far so good...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #26
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    bought 1 from SLS on sat... so far so good...
    Any detail review?
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Any detail review?
    like?

    ok, the stand sucks... lol...

    cos its using pneumatic or something, so its good when you are adjusting the screen when its seated on the table. but when you wanna lift it up, the stand springs open.

    bezel wise, kinda sucky... its a little thick but still ok, cos i only gotten 1 to test, then 2nd one contemplating... the real *beep* is the power button, cos the screen is bright... and the bezel is black, accompanied by black buttons, and you can't see which buttons you are touching except by guessing. and there is no indicator light on the power button so you have to guess where is the power button... and there is this blue light on the mid bottom of the screen with 4 level of brightness... imho, useless... put it where it is needed will be better.

    screen wise... its alot brighter than my old screen, perhaps cos they are old... gamma 2.2 is really strong... but the calibration works perfectly... i dun play fast videos, so the lag is barely noticable... played games like GRID, on max resolution, seems smooth enuff...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #28
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    like?

    ok, the stand sucks... lol...

    cos its using pneumatic or something, so its good when you are adjusting the screen when its seated on the table. but when you wanna lift it up, the stand springs open.

    bezel wise, kinda sucky... its a little thick but still ok, cos i only gotten 1 to test, then 2nd one contemplating... the real *beep* is the power button, cos the screen is bright... and the bezel is black, accompanied by black buttons, and you can't see which buttons you are touching except by guessing. and there is no indicator light on the power button so you have to guess where is the power button... and there is this blue light on the mid bottom of the screen with 4 level of brightness... imho, useless... put it where it is needed will be better.

    screen wise... its alot brighter than my old screen, perhaps cos they are old... gamma 2.2 is really strong... but the calibration works perfectly... i dun play fast videos, so the lag is barely noticable... played games like GRID, on max resolution, seems smooth enuff...
    A person with high expectation.
    I think will stick to the Dell one by end of the year.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    A person with high expectation.
    I think will stick to the Dell one by end of the year.
    supposedly, this should be better than dell one... maybe u get the HP2475... i saw on their local site but no price... turned off...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #30
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    supposedly, this should be better than dell one... maybe u get the HP2475... i saw on their local site but no price... turned off...
    Thanks for the recommendation. Will look into it. But HP a bit ex$
    BTW, also query from CP on Eizo.......don't dare to touch.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Will look into it. But HP a bit ex$
    BTW, also query from CP on Eizo.......don't dare to touch.
    wah RICHIE!!! poor ppl like us should get this lah...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    oh ya, the most poisonous thing about this is now my room's samsung lcd tv looks like crap when i am viewing it...

    i start to see that dvds are indeed pixelated... lol...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #33
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    oh ya, the most poisonous thing about this is now my room's samsung lcd tv looks like crap when i am viewing it...

    i start to see that dvds are indeed pixelated... lol...
    Never ending upgrade.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  14. #34

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Hi, since you guys are talking about monitors.
    Is this worth getting?
    You feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

    Dell 24 inch monitor
    I'm using this monitor. Its as good as the guys on the web tout it to be.

    Well, if you're not in a bad rush, wait a week or so more, the next PC exhibition will be due. I bought mine there in March. It was a 6month installment plan, with a price reduction to $800+, and an extension of the "next business day" on-site warranty to 5 years. Quite a good deal IMO.

    If you're using your monitor in the way you described, think it'll be worth it.

  15. #35
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    I'm using this monitor. Its as good as the guys on the web tout it to be.

    Well, if you're not in a bad rush, wait a week or so more, the next PC exhibition will be due. I bought mine there in March. It was a 6month installment plan, with a price reduction to $800+, and an extension of the "next business day" on-site warranty to 5 years. Quite a good deal IMO.

    If you're using your monitor in the way you described, think it'll be worth it.
    Thanks for the feedback. Now additional item to be bought from SITEX!
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  16. #36

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Now additional item to be bought from SITEX!
    Take note that the price was not available on the 1st day actually. It came down as I remember vividly from the 2nd day onwards... not sure about the last 2 shows..

    So, if its not in the $800+ range and no extended warranty, you might want to reconsider.

  17. #37
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    Take note that the price was not available on the 1st day actually. It came down as I remember vividly from the 2nd day onwards... not sure about the last 2 shows..

    So, if its not in the $800+ range and no extended warranty, you might want to reconsider.
    Noted.

    Question:
    Do you face any issue regarding the brightness of the montior?
    I had read through some reviews on this issue.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  18. #38

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Noted.

    Question:
    Do you face any issue regarding the brightness of the montior?
    I had read through some reviews on this issue.
    Oh yes, it was extremely, extremely bright out of the box. I calibrated the monitor using Spyder3 and it toned down the brightness in the process. The system reports that colour was within 0.5% of ideal, and it was indeed much more comfortable for the eyes thereafter.

  19. #39

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    I was considering this philips model and the one from dell 2408 - tough decision...
    Sony RX100 Mk4

  20. #40

    Default Re: philips 240pw9eb lcd monitor

    This philips monitor is now $569 brand new.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •