Thread: Radiant

Default Radiant

I was shooting on the fringes of a friendly kick-ball session with friends, and after getting bored of trying (and failing) to shoot action with a 50mm prime, decided I might as well try and get some candids. Which proved to be quite interesting on MF - focus speed limited to how fast finger can spin!

The composition of this shot is probably quite regular, as I was trying to isolate one person in the centre third. I think I shot this wide open at f/2, but I'm not sure.. should I have stopped down for more detail in the background? Would that make it more interesting visually?

Some pp was done for color + exposure, but not cropped since I thought the landscape aspect worked better than the alt crop I did.

(Sorry to mod if this should belong in candids instead - not sure whether it's correct to ask for c&c there)

Default Re: Radiant

This is the section for critiques, to seek others opinions. The red track in the background 'cuts' through the head of your subject. The horizon is slanted to the left. You're trying to capture a candid portrait, if you narrowed your aperture, wouldn't your background be grabbing attention. Shoot more, observe more from others pictures and explore more angles.

Quote Originally Posted by cflee View Post

I was shooting on the fringes of a friendly kick-ball session with friends, and after getting bored of trying (and failing) to shoot action with a 50mm prime, decided I might as well try and get some candids. Which proved to be quite interesting on MF - focus speed limited to how fast finger can spin!

The composition of this shot is probably quite regular, as I was trying to isolate one person in the centre third. I think I shot this wide open at f/2, but I'm not sure.. should I have stopped down for more detail in the background? Would that make it more interesting visually?

Some pp was done for color + exposure, but not cropped since I thought the landscape aspect worked better than the alt crop I did.

(Sorry to mod if this should belong in candids instead - not sure whether it's correct to ask for c&c there)
    you're doing fine in this area by giving a writeup and hence this won't be deleted.

anyway, this picture imho, should be in the recycle bin awaiting for the empty recycle bin command.

its simple, does this picture even worth the effort to post on the net for critique? no...

the basic element of a portrait is not even there, you took a rightfully portrait picture in landscape format, leaving a big head room with nothing of importance surrounding it... besides that, you wanna leave the background but the horizon is tilted, and if the horizon is corrected, the person will look like falling down...

a picture is more than just a show of how fast your lens can be, how smooth the bokeh a lens can produce, if the image does not even show its purpose, whats the point of shooting it? if you just wanna take a picture to show people about the bokeh, guess you should post it in equipment section... true? why ask for critique when the image is not taken with the purpose of improving the picture but asking if the lens is good?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

any regular joe can take this shot imo, totally nothing special or noteworthy.

too much space, unappealing, shadow rings, tilted

rather than working on the colour and exposure do a better crop and get in tight onto your subject. if you wanna use landscape for portraits itll look good if its 50-50 equally zhun zhun balanced or use the rule of thrids

and the canopy in the bg is really REALLY distracting and makes cropping abit more challenging
    Last edited by Raied; 27th October 2008 at 03:17 AM.

I think I might have been asking the wrong question.. but the bit about the horizon being tilted = bad makes sense. Thanks.