Thread: Suggestions needed for new camera

pacmanfan
    Guests

Exclamation Suggestions needed for new camera

Hey all, I need some suggestions of what new digital camera to get. Budget is a bit flexable, but let's say under $400, preferrably under $300. At least 3 megapixel, nice image quality. Some pictures may be used for printing, but this is on a budget. I want an optical viewfinder. Gotta be able to use AA batteries or else charge it on both 115v AND 220V. Optical viewfinder preferred. Compact flash preferred, but not terribly importent. Now the catch: At least 3x optical zoom now, but I'd like to be able to get another lens for at LEAST 5x later. Other factors aren't really importent. Anything remotely matching this would be nice!

TIA!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfan
    Hey all, I need some suggestions of what new digital camera to get. Budget is a bit flexable, but let's say under $400, preferrably under $300. At least 3 megapixel, nice image quality. Some pictures may be used for printing, but this is on a budget. I want an optical viewfinder. Gotta be able to use AA batteries or else charge it on both 115v AND 220V. Optical viewfinder preferred. Compact flash preferred, but not terribly importent. Now the catch: At least 3x optical zoom now, but I'd like to be able to get another lens for at LEAST 5x later. Other factors aren't really importent. Anything remotely matching this would be nice!
    Let's see, how about a Canon 10D. It is a Digital Camera, so is remotely matching this

Jokes aside, I think the Canon A70 might be a good choice for you,
    although it'll blow your budget by $100. It has optical viewfinder, 3megapixel, 4xAA battery, uses Compact Flash, 3x zoom. Not too sure about the add on lens though.....

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfan

TIA!
    Honestly, quite difficult to get a camera with the features you want for the price you want it for. Since only some images may be used to printing, why not get a 2mp camera instead? 2mp is more than you'll ever need for 4R prints, espically with a good 2mp camera.

What I will recommend to you to look at is the Canon A60. 2mp, 3x zoom. Fully manal options, scene and auto modes also. Runs on 4AAs, so you can use the GP or Sanyo or whatever other rechargable battery. Uses Compact Flash card. As for your requirement for 5x zoom, you can buy the TC-DC52 2.4x teleconverter (around $100+) which will give you almost 6x zoom in total. You will have to buy an adaptor to mount the teleconverter onto the camera body.

The A60 will fit into your budget, but if you really want 3mp, then can pay just a bit more for the A70. Hope this helps you.

pacmanfan
    Guests

Somehow I happened upon the Olypmus C-740/C-750 Ultra Zoom cameras, which seem about what I'm after, I'll just save more. If I can get the C-750 for under $500 by the time I have the money, I'll be happy

And by printing, I meant like in a magazine, possibly larger than 4x6. 2MP isn't quite up to that.

I think the next suggestion is going to be this:
    Get down to a camera shop and try out the cameras There are a few reputable shops that many swear by.. Like Cathay Photo in Penisular and Marina, MSColor at AMK, Alan Photo at SLS, John3:16 at Funan.. amongst others..

On a personal note, DO NOT go to LUCKY PLAZA to buy your stuffs.. They'll probably make a killing out of you.. Like they did out of me..