Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice in buying tripod

Default advice in buying tripod

hi all!this is my new post,just bought my d70+18135 lens.findout recently that i need a tripod(cos i only can do this new hobby after work,that mean night time hehe), and get really confuse in choosing the right tripod for me.so hopefully can get some advices here. i've been through the whole thread ('which brand of tripod do u use' by ckiang) from page 1 to last page. found few tripod brand that really has good testi and may fit my budget (120-150). manfrotto (190 pro series), slik, and benro.
    see few offer like brand new benro A200+b 0 head for 120,see few closed thread selling manfrotto 190pro + 482rc2 head for 150-160 2nd hand. so if you guys were me, which one will you guys choose?2nd manfrotto 190,brand new slik or benro?or any other brand. thanks a lot guys. any advice will be vry helpful.

Default Re: advice in buying tripod

Manfrotto 190xprob + 486RC2 head.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

im using manfrotto 190pro

190pro and 190xpro is different right?190x is more expensive i c..

Quote Originally Posted by tea205 View Post
    190pro and 190xpro is different right?190x is more expensive i c..
    theres only 190XB or 190XDB which are slightly cheaper than the 190XPROB. difference is the absence of the horizontal centre column ability of the "PRO" series.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    theres only 190XB or 190XDB which are slightly cheaper than the 190XPROB. difference is the absence of the horizontal centre column ability of the "PRO" series.
    There is 190pro. An old model.

I'm using a Velbon Tripod. They are a reliable Japanese company. The cost is also much less as compared with other brands. It is value for money!
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

My first tripod is the SLIK Pressman which i bought 16 years ago and it is still working.

I just got my 2nd tripod which is the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 190 MAG FIBER TRIPOD 3 SCT with a 486RC2 COMPACT BALL HEAD W/RC2 R.C.SY

Last edited by felixcat8888; 26th October 2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

For tripods, other than its weight, cost and loading, it's also about usage. I have a Longines of a tripod, the Velbon VEF-3... my dad didn't own it, he just takes care of it for the next generation - me! It's sturdy, it's bomb-proof, but it's also a pain to lug it around.

I'm now looking at the Yongnuo Normad tripod. Quite unheard of, but supposedly lightweight and affordable. If you're not going to fork out a lot for a tripod, I think you can consider that as an option.
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    For tripods, other than its weight, cost and loading, it's also about usage. I have a Longines of a tripod, the Velbon VEF-3... my dad didn't own it, he just takes care of it for the next generation - me! It's sturdy, it's bomb-proof, but it's also a pain to lug it around.

I'm now looking at the Yongnuo Normad tripod. Quite unheard of, but supposedly lightweight and affordable. If you're not going to fork out a lot for a tripod, I think you can consider that as an option.
    That's a Patek Philippe.

Longines is "Elegance is an Attitude".
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

Quote Originally Posted by parampita View Post
    That's a Patek Philippe.
    Oh issit? Can't differentiate which is which lah. Thanks for pointing out!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by tea205 View Post
    hi all!this is my new post,just bought my d70+18135 lens.findout recently that i need a tripod(cos i only can do this new hobby after work,that mean night time hehe), and get really confuse in choosing the right tripod for me.so hopefully can get some advices here. i've been through the whole thread ('which brand of tripod do u use' by ckiang) from page 1 to last page. found few tripod brand that really has good testi and may fit my budget (120-150). manfrotto (190 pro series), slik, and benro.
    see few offer like brand new benro A200+b 0 head for 120,see few closed thread selling manfrotto 190pro + 482rc2 head for 150-160 2nd hand. so if you guys were me, which one will you guys choose?2nd manfrotto 190,brand new slik or benro?or any other brand. thanks a lot guys. any advice will be vry helpful.
    Get the manfrotto. It's definitely way beyond what you'll need. It's very sturdy when deployed and hardy to withstand knocks. The setup height is just nice to me without using the center column. However the tripod is abit weighty (muscle fibre is cheaper than carbon fibre) but it's a worthwhile compromise. Get yourself a good carrying strap like optech usa for comfort (you'll need one anyway).

Blog Entries

the manfrotto 190 series is the normal choice for most members here, you would not go wrong with it as a first tripod
    but do note that good tripods lasts for decades, my old 055B is already more than a decade old and still going strong.
    but i am not so strong anymore and have settled for a light, shorter, less sturdy and more expansive tripod that i will bring around.

so it depends alot on your circumstances.

if u want something small and light, slik sprint pro is a gd choice. I had numerous tripods, but this is the only tripod I am keeping after all these years. But take note, this tripod is not for big pro bodies or long lenses. D70 and 18-135 should be fine.

Go to the shop and try it out. That's perhaps the best way. The models u mentioned do not have a very huge price gap. So if I were u, I really don't mind paying slightly more to get what I really like.

Good luck in your search.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Absolutely fundamental reading for anyone looking for a good tripod.

Since no one bothered ... thanks onebear for sharing the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Absolutely fundamental reading for anyone looking for a good tripod.

Since no one bothered ... thanks onebear for sharing the link!
    Indeed! It's quite a reading there.

Thanks! onebear
    F3,F4,D70s,D3,1424,1735,2035,2470,2870,3570,80200, 80400,28PC, 351.4,Z352,501.2,Z851.4,MIR500

thanks for the reply,im going to shop 2moro to test it myself..but get a lot useful input frm u guys..how bout benro??anybody use benro n can share a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    YongNuo Nomad tripod A169? great option bro.. =) i just bought one few weeks ago.. and i guess this tripod is gaining its popularity as there are no lightweight yet affordable tripod in the market so far (under the S$200 margin), comes with a inverted folding design which saves about 25% of the space.. comes with regular ballhead, bag, cleaning tool, strap and good service..

imho getting a good and light tripod is important. save up for it. getting a heavy one and you wont really use it unless its for studio. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast