Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm coming to Singapore what good spots?

Default Re: I'm coming to Singapore what good spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    I recommend that you get off at the Raffles Place MRT area.

The Singapore River nearby has many good opportunities for taking photographs.
    Yap, I agree.

The Singapore River not only has lots of photo opportunity, but it is rich in history also. If you walk along the river, do take time to read the plaques and look at the building structures (eg: Old Parliament House, Empress Place Building, The Fullerton, Cavenagh Bridge, etc). They reflect the era when Singapore was a British colony.

At the same time, you will see two similar statues of the man who founded this country; one by the side of the river, and the other not far away in front of Victoria Theatre.

If you are tired of sight-seeing, take a 10 minutes stroll along Supreme Court and City Hall, then make a left along Coleman Street. Continue walking further down you will come upon three prominent shopping complexes - The Adelphi, Peninsula Plaza and Funan Centre. These three buildings are known as the Golden Triangle of Singapore, where photography gear, high-end audio equipment and computers are sold. The shopping paradise for techies, photographers and music lovers. Get ready your credit cards as these are the places where the BBB virus thrives and most contagious.

Remember that strange accent I used in my earlier posts, it comes in handy now. Once you start to speak like that, you will sound like one of us. Use it to your advantage when bargaining with the salespersons. For a short period of time, forget about your American accent. If not, they will know you are not local and CHOP YOUR CARROT HEAD.
    Last edited by photobum; 27th October 2008 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post

At the same time, you will see two similar statues of the man who founded this country; one by the side of the river, and the other not far away in front of Victoria Theatre.
    it was this man who started the Free Port thing but not really the one who found this country.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    By the way what do you like photographing? (there are assumptions in the suggestions given!)
    Well seeing that I'm only going to have 2 days in Singapore I will be focusing on taking the most general touristy pictures. I would definitely like to get some good shots of the whole city at night and get any uniquely Singapore buildings, and structures etc...

Yap, I agree.

The Singapore River not only has lots of photo opportunity, but it is rich in history also. If you walk along the river, do take time to read the plaques and look at the building structures (eg: Old Parliament House, Empress Place Building, The Fullerton, Cavenagh Bridge, etc). They reflect the era when Singapore was a British colony.

If you are tired of sight-seeing, take a 10 minutes stroll along Supreme Court and City Hall, then make a left along Coleman Street. Continue walking further down you will come upon three prominent shopping complexes - The Adelphi, Peninsula Plaza and Funan Centre. These three buildings are known as the Golden Triangle of Singapore, where photography gear, high-end audio equipment and computers are sold. The shopping paradise for techies, photographers and music lovers. Get ready your credit cards as these are the places where the BBB virus thrives and most contagious.

Remember that strange accent I used in my earlier posts, it comes in handy now. Once you start to speak like that, you will sound like one of us. Use it to your advantage when bargaining with the salespersons. For a short period of time, forget about your American accent. If not, they will know you are not local and CHOP YOUR CARROT HEAD.
    Thanks this is really helpful! Not exactly sure what strange accent you used earlier.. as I can't hear it.. Do you mean the unique up and down sounding Singaporean and Malaysian chinese sounding english accent? I think the Malaysian and Singaporean english accent is the same right? Mix of Chinese/Indian/British English mixed accent? If so I can do a pretty good imitation because my dad is from Malaysia and I like to mimic him but I would not try it when I'm over there because I think you guys can tell the real from the fake..

Not sure what's a carrot head though...

Carrot head is used to describe a guy who looks ready to be fleeced.

Quote Originally Posted by sayjaibow View Post
    If so I can do a pretty good imitation because my dad is from Malaysia and I like to mimic him but I would not try it when I'm over there because I think you guys can tell the real from the fake..

Not sure what's a carrot head though...
    It's funny to hear people try to do it
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I think the Malaysian and Singaporean english accent is the same right?
    Nope, Singaporeans speak differently from most Malaysians (except Johoreans). We use more English acronyms which make sense only if you have stayed in Singapore for a while (eg: ERP, COE, CTE, ECP, PIE, KPE, MRT, LRT, NEL, SBS, etc), and Hokkien/Teochew translations.

INot sure what's a carrot head though...
    The term 'chop carrot head' actually derived from the Hokkien dialect, which means 'rip off' in English.
    Last edited by photobum; 29th October 2008 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    it was this man who started the Free Port thing but not really the one who found this country.
    Ah... I forgot about good ol' Sang Nila Utama.

But, we all agree that Thomas Stamford Raffles was one of the early founding fathers of our great nation.

Visit any shopping mall/centre and look for food court. You will enjoy the variety of foods available.

Alterately you may wish to visit any housing estate and again look for food centres and do your shopping there. Don't waste time at MacDonald as you can get it at your hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Visit any shopping mall/centre and look for food court. You will enjoy the variety of foods available.

Alterately you may wish to visit any housing estate and again look for food centres and do your shopping there. Don't waste time at MacDonald as you can get it at your hometown.
    I agree.

The best food you can get are probably those from the food centres. Let me suggest a few places in town you can visit:

• Rochor Temporary Food Centre (near Bugis MRT)
    • Maxwell Food Centre (near Tanjong Pagar MRT)
    • Amoy Street Food Centre (near Tanjong Pagar MRT)
    • Tanjong Pagar Plaza Food Centre (near Tanjong Pagar MRT)
    • Seah Imm Food Centre (near HabourFront MRT)
    • Golden Mile Food Centre (near Lavender MRT, but you'll have to walk toward Beach Road for about 10 minutes. It is better to take Bus number 100)
    • Chinatown Complex Food Centre (near Outram and Chinatown MRT stations)
    • Hong Lim Food Centre (near Chinatown MRT)
    • Zhujiao Temporary Food Centre (near Little India MRT)
    • Lau Pa Sat (near Raffles Place MRT)

Some of the "must-try" restaurants in Singapore:

• (Arab/Indian Muslim) Singapore Zam Zam Restaurant (100 years history for serving Murtabak and Nasi Briyani), 697/699, North Bridge Road.
    • (South Indian) Ananda Bhavan Restaurant, 221 Selegie Road.
    • (Chinese - Hong Kong style) Mouth Restaurant, #02-01 Chinatown Point.
    • (Chinese - Dim Sum) Da Dong, 39, Smith Street
    • (Chinese - authentic Hong Kong style Dim Sum) Victor's Kitchen, 91, Bencoolen Street, Sunshine Plaza.
    • (Chinese - Cantonese) Lai Wah Restaurant, Blk 44, Bendemeer Road #01-1436.
    • (Chinese - Hokkien) Bee Heong Palace Restaurant, 140, Cecil Street, PIL Building, #04-00.
    • (Chinese - Northern Cuisine) Din Tai Fung, 290 Orchard Road, Paragon Shopping Centre #B1-03/06.
    • (Chinese - Teochew) Huat Kee Teochew Restaurant, 74, Amoy Street.
    • (Straits Chinese - Nonya/Peranakan) Soul Kitchen, 7, Purvis Street.
    Last edited by photobum; 29th October 2008 at 05:50 PM.

Take the MRT, the north east line and east west line. A lot places to walk walk and see see.

Hello all. I'm from the U.S. but going to be visiting Malaysia (5days) and Singapore (2days) in December. So far by hanging out here I know about the Singapore Flyer. Any other suggestions on good or unique spots for photography? Thanks!
    Singapore is a paradise. Anywhere and everywhere is an experience.

Just go anywhere and experience its uniqueness.

You don't need to have a destination.

Nope, Singaporeans speak differently from most Malaysians (except Johoreans). We use more English acronyms which make sense only if you have stayed in Singapore for a while (eg: ERP, COE, CTE, ECP, PIE, KPE, MRT, LRT, NEL, SBS, etc), and Hokkien/Teochew translations.
    Okay I see.. but I'm just wondering about the accent.. from what I hear from what I hear singaporean english accent sounds very similar to malaysian chinese speakers. But then I do not have a trained ear to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post

Definitely will skip MacDonalds I was just kidding about that. Singapore I heard is a food paradise so must eat all local food only!

I agree.

The best food you can get are probably those from the food centres. Let me suggest a few places in town you can visit:

• Rochor Temporary Food Centre (near Bugis MRT)
    • Maxwell Food Centre (near Tanjong Pagar MRT)
    • Amoy Street Food Centre (near Tanjong Pagar MRT)
    • Tanjong Pagar Plaza Food Centre (near Tanjong Pagar MRT)
    • Seah Imm Food Centre (near HabourFront MRT)
    • Golden Mile Food Centre (near Lavender MRT, but you'll have to walk toward Beach Road for about 10 minutes. It is better to take Bus number 100)
    • Chinatown Complex Food Centre (near Outram and Chinatown MRT stations)
    • Hong Lim Food Centre (near Chinatown MRT)
    • Zhujiao Temporary Food Centre (near Little India MRT)
    • Lau Pa Sat (near Raffles Place MRT)

Some of the "must-try" restaurants in Singapore:

• (Arab/Indian Muslim) Singapore Zam Zam Restaurant (100 years history for serving Murtabak and Nasi Briyani), 697/699, North Bridge Road.
    • (South Indian) Ananda Bhavan Restaurant, 221 Selegie Road.
    • (Chinese - Hong Kong style) Mouth Restaurant, #02-01 Chinatown Point.
    • (Chinese - Dim Sum) Da Dong, 39, Smith Street
    • (Chinese - authentic Hong Kong style Dim Sum) Victor's Kitchen, 91, Bencoolen Street, Sunshine Plaza.
    • (Chinese - Cantonese) Lai Wah Restaurant, Blk 44, Bendemeer Road #01-1436.
    • (Chinese - Hokkien) Bee Heong Palance Restaurant, 140, Cecil Street, PIL Building, #04-00.
    • (Chinese - Northern Cuisine) Din Tai Fung, 290 Orchard Road, Paragon Shopping Centre #B1-03/06.
    • (Chinese - Teochew) Huat Kee Teochew Restaurant, 74, Amoy Street.
    • (Straits Chinese - Nonya/Peranakan) Soul Kitchen, 7, Purvis Street.
    Very Nice list thanks so much! You're awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Singapore is a paradise. Anywhere and everywhere is an experience.

Just go anywhere and experience its uniqueness.

You don't need to have a destination.
    Sounds very philisophical for wandering my garden but if I have no destination I'll never find my way to Singapore!

Sounds very philisophical for wandering my garden but if I have no destination I'll never find my way to Singapore!
    All roads lead to Singapore.

You just have to trust your instinct.

but if I have no destination I'll never find my way to Singapore!
    Singapore got two big durians, and not far away from it, is a Lion-like Mermaid that vomits into the river all the time. Just use your nose and smell your way here can liao.
    Last edited by photobum; 29th October 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Definitely will skip MacDonalds I was just kidding about that. Singapore I heard is a food paradise so must eat all local food only!
    Burger King restaurants in Singapore serve Rendang Burger; now that's local.

Also got Durian flavour dessert or not?

Singapore got two big durians, and not far away from it, is a Lion-like Mermaid that vomits into the river all the time. Just use your nose and smell your way here can liao.
    That's how Singapore Airlines planes know how to fly back.

Mac used to have kiasu burger. Thats unique to us too.

KFC also got Raffles Chilli Fillet Burger for a uniquely local flavour.

Don't miss that too.

??? ???

Also got Durian flavour dessert or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Mac used to have kiasu burger. Thats unique to us too.
    KFC also got Raffles Chilli Fillet Burger for a uniquely local flavour.

Don't miss that too.
    lol thanks guys but I only have 2 days! I don't think I should visit KFC, Burger King, and MacDonnald's even if there's some unique dishes.. maybe next time!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast