Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 108

Thread: Rereading Karl Marx

  1. #81

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it's all about image. on national tv, if you "act the village idiot" in response to "the village idiot".. then what do people think of you?

    and image is everything in marketing.
    You need to take a step back here before your assumptions make you look silly.

    You were HOW OLD when the Al Gore/Bush elections were on? For you to make assumptions on why Al Gore lost when you were a kid in Singapore is really a joke. You don't need to act like you know everything,seriously.

    If there's one thing I can tell you having witnessed an election in America and one more coming up, is that elections in the US defy logic.
    Last edited by mattlock; 26th October 2008 at 10:46 PM.

  2. #82

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    You need to take a step back here before your assumptions make you look silly.
    ok....?

  3. #83
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    You need to take a step back here before your assumptions make you look silly.
    Too Late!
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  4. #84

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    if that's the case then don't you think mccain's poll #s would be non existent now since he's shown that's he's been more erratic and angry and inciting then obama? bbc stance count for what? they're not the american media. It'll be like Fox news bill O Reilly commenting about Gordon Brown's performance. you must remember le more americans in america watch their news networks then BBC.
    well, unless you have conclusive evidence that boo-boos do no damage to any candidate..? it really depends what kind of camp you subscribe too - sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't. you can't just give a blanket statement that bad behaviour will never affect anything. nor can i give a blanket statement that bad behaviour will affect everything. this doesn't really represent my point of view, i like reading americans' blogs now and then..

    in any case, we are going way off topic.
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th October 2008 at 10:46 PM.

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Save the cheerleader, save the world!

  6. #86
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, unless you have conclusive evidence that boo-boos do no damage to any candidate..?

    in any case, we are going way off topic.
    Go and listen and read any american news network. Keith Olbermann, MSNBC news, Fox Noise, CNN. All site the famous case of the Senior Bush's impatiently look when an audience member was asking him a question during the 2nd debate he had with Bill Clinton as a turning point for his poll #s...i think Nixion or someone from that 60s also had another gaffee that cost them the election. Debates have no real impact unless there's a BIG boo boo made by either candidate. btw i can also say the same thing about you and blanket statements. where's your PROOF that debates have an adverse effect on how americans vote?
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 26th October 2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  7. #87

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    can i be the cheerleader?

    it's hard to not want to be saved when you're happily trying to argue with so many people who somehow definitely do not agree with each other entirely, but just conveniently gather a mob.. for whatever reason.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    a lot of people argued that al gore lost the elections to bush back then because he "sunk to bush's level", by playing at his level.

    i guess the super highway in africa was an example of that - Silence Sky made an insinuation that shanghai was performing better than singapore, his only supporting statement being that they have a super highway. so that was ludicrous to me, since it would equate to us building a longer super highway in africa, and thereafter declaring that africa was performing better than singapore or shanghai. and i said that, and here i am misquoted.

    but of course, certain people would not mention the other half of the statement. distorting arguments is not enough - distorting words is far easier!

    :
    Ok, before you go on to say people misquoted you, let paste here some of the posts we have exchanged.



    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    You find it amusing? Me too when you say:
    "like it or not, if someone stays in singapore long enough, they will learn to speak english. have you ever met anyone dwelling in london who didn't speak english, tourists notwithstanding?"

    So now I understand your "Someone" is a working person.

    I won't fault you, since you have not started working and have not come into contact with Madarin speaking only employee.

    But you shoud come across some canteen helpers who only speak their own language or dialect. Someone has just come back from Demsey Jumbo, ask him whether he converse in Mandarin or English with the service persons.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you still don't get my point. you say i shift the goalpost when here is your largest flaw.

    you assume that they will do this. the word "expect" says so. now, let me ask you - are singaporeans not opportunists? is our talent not getting drained? instead of wondering why we have to resort to such measures, why not instead examine the root of the problem?

    you are certainly exhibiting double standards - everything a foreigner can do, a singaporean can. a foreigner can exit with ease, a singaporean can too. a foreigner can contribute, so can a singaporean. so why do we need them to fill up the spaces? have you ever, ever thought about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh, so all the workers in singapore are canteen helpers.

    so we are not a nation of thinkers, we are a nation of canteen helpers. it's alright.. somewhere in your mind.. singapore is filled with 100% canteen helpers.. we are the canteen of the world, in a way, anyhow.. too many food places. so engineers are actually canteen workers in disguise, the planning work they are doing is coded for food processing. teachers are actually senior canteen workers who are indirectly training our children to be canteen workers.. and of course doctors are just canteen workers that have the useful facility of learning how to treat illnesses!!!

    now i see why you argue that we need to learn a foreign language to communicate with people on the street when your postulated scenario turns into reality.. well if you insist that all our foreigners are canteen workers.. i'll give it to you!

    when it comes to discussion, the majority rules. if majority of foreign workers will end up speaking english, then your opening ludicrous statement of "we need to learn to speak another language to converse with them" is still unfounded. why don't you just admit that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    My original statement:
    It is high time we learn to speak a foreign language, especially Mandarin.
    If not, one day you may not get your food because you can't communicate with waiters/waitresses.

    I talking about food industry, If you want to expand it across to all industries, so be it.
    By the way alot of technician from Malaysia do not speak English.
    You have to be in the industry before you get to see it.

    But I still hope they don't learn English and we learn mandarin to converse with them.
    If you have been to Shanghai, you will understand my points.
    Chinese bankers are smarter and their business acumen is so much better.
    In Shanghai those who speak good English are being paid better than their Singapore counterparts in the banking industry. When alot of them speak good English, you should know what will happen to the great Singaporeans.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, but even if i've been there, i don't think i'll have the high fortune of mixing around with chinese bankers.. good life eh..

    well, it will take some time. i also wonder what will happen when they can stand alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    No, time is not with us....I just came back from Shanghai, their city is more advance and complex than ours.
    Looking at the road systems, their elevated highways is already longer than our PIE + AYE.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    they have space.. highways mean nothing. you mean if i have a country with the longest highway in the world i am powerful?

    like that i just find a huge block of land in africa and build one coiled up highway, and at the end i will sit there.. and declare myself a hi-tech nation.

    just kidding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    I do not know what you are trying to prove in this post.

    I brought up the road system because I personally felt that alot of people still have the misconception that China is still very backward. Having the longest highway does not mean much. But in Shanghai terms it has definitely demonstrated its economy powers and its advancement in city planning, by building the elevated highways to bypass the busy city streets below.

    If you think building highway in an empty piece of land involved the same amount of money and technology as building elevated highways in a heavily built up city, I take my hat off.

    Taking about Hi-Tech, Shanghai also has Maglev and can travel at a speed of 500km/h.
    Do you want to build one as well in your African land?
    You don't have to sit on it, you can use it to transport the animals.
    Those migratory animals will be very grateful to you because they do not have to cross the treacherous Nile river anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Yes, I say it is a worrying trend if foreign workers decided to leave Singapore in mass.
    But did I say Singaporean can't leave and foreigners can leave or anything of similar capacity? or did I tag foreigner and singaporean leaving Singapore differently?
    Singapore is a free land and anyone can come and leave thru proper procedure.

    Therefore, I have doubt over your measurement on double standard. or just use the word to cast people in bad light?

    By the way, your question "if singaporeans didn't leave, would foreigners have to come?"
    950 singaporean left each year vs 34,800 new PRs + 7,300 new citizens in first half of 2008.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    Go and listen and read any american news network. Keith Olbermann, MSNBC news, Fox Noise, CNN. All site the famous case of the Senior Bush's impatiently look when an audience member was asking him a question during the 2nd debate he had with Bill Clinton as a turning point for his poll #s...i think Nixion or someone from that 60s also had another gaffee that cost them the election. Debates have no real impact unless there's a BIG boo boo made by either candidate. btw i can also say the same thing about you and blanket statements. where's your PROOF that debates have an adverse effect on how americans vote?
    no no no, you don't get what i mean, i meant that there can be no blanket statements and we BOTH are trying to argue for blanket statements, which is weird to me. it works both ways, you see, and i obviously stated that in the last post...?

  10. #90

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky
    No, time is not with us....I just came back from Shanghai, their city is more advance and complex than ours.

    Looking at the road systems, their elevated highways is already longer than our PIE + AYE.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare
    they have space.. highways mean nothing. you mean if i have a country with the longest highway in the world i am powerful?

    like that i just find a huge block of land in africa and build one coiled up highway, and at the end i will sit there.. and declare myself a hi-tech nation.

    just kidding.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    You need to take a step back here before your assumptions make you look silly.

    You were HOW OLD when the Al Gore/Bush elections were on? For you to make assumptions on why Al Gore lost when you were a kid in Singapore is really a joke. You don't need to act like you know everything,seriously.

    If there's one thing I can tell you having witnessed an election in America and one more coming up, is that elections in the US defy logic.


    This boy read from google and textbook, while we argue from experience.

    Remember, I always make fun of my HR. When there is problem they are the first one to run to the rule book and come back saying the rule say this, rule# say that.

  12. #92

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    You were HOW OLD when the Al Gore/Bush elections were on? For you to make assumptions on why Al Gore lost when you were a kid in Singapore is really a joke. You don't need to act like you know everything,seriously.

    If there's one thing I can tell you having witnessed an election in America and one more coming up, is that elections in the US defy logic.
    i read old blog posts/commentaries/youtube videos when i grew up. in 2000, i had zero interest. what i do when i am free, sometimes. i am presenting my point of view, and you are more than welcome to disagree and explain why i am wrong - it is not a matter of being sciolistic (you're the one who used that term once, i remember ).

    i haven't actually been there, but well, defiance of logic.. that is hard to disagree with.
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th October 2008 at 10:59 PM.

  13. #93

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    After writing so much in your own assumption, you highlighted "Just Kidding"

    Ok I accept that kiddo..

  14. #94
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    You need to take a step back here before your assumptions make you look silly.

    You were HOW OLD when the Al Gore/Bush elections were on? For you to make assumptions on why Al Gore lost when you were a kid in Singapore is really a joke. You don't need to act like you know everything,seriously.

    If there's one thing I can tell you having witnessed an election in America and one more coming up, is that elections in the US defy logic.
    Hence my hysterical laughter.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    After writing so much in your own assumption, you highlighted "Just Kidding"

    Ok I accept that kiddo..
    well -

    you claimed that shanghai was more developed and complex a city compared to singapore because they had an elevated highway.. that's what i saw.. and what you just quoted.

    the mods told me once that i should take a step back, and be less.. argumentative when it comes to these things. but i don't suppose you share my brand of humour.

  16. #96
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i read old blog posts/commentaries/youtube videos when i grew up. in 2000, i had zero interest. what i do when i am free, sometimes. i am presenting my point of view, and you are more than welcome to disagree and explain why i am wrong - it is not a matter of being sciolistic (you're the one who used that term once, i remember ).

    i haven't actually been there, but well, defiance of logic.. that is hard to disagree with.
    then why u keep arguing for the case of logic? That is illogical!
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  17. #97
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well -

    you claimed that shanghai was more developed and complex a city compared to singapore because they had an elevated highway.. that's what i saw.. and what you just quoted.

    the mods told me once that i should take a step back, and be less.. argumentative when it comes to these things. but i don't suppose you share my brand of humour.
    what kind of humor is it?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  18. #98

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i read old blog posts/commentaries/youtube videos when i grew up. in 2000, i had zero interest. what i do when i am free, sometimes. i am presenting my point of view, and you are more than welcome to disagree and explain why i am wrong - it is not a matter of being sciolistic (you're the one who used that term once, i remember ).

    i haven't actually been there, but well, defiance of logic.. that is hard to disagree with.
    In summary,
    You're presenting a point of view that is detached from experience and cultural understanding?

  19. #99
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    In summary,
    You're presenting a point of view that is detached from experience and cultural understanding?
    think that's been rather obvious from the start
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  20. #100

    Default Re: Rereading Karl Marx

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    should take a step back
    make your time worth while for other things better
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •