Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Photographer Mishap: What to do?

Default Re: Wedding Photographer Mishap: What to do?

the wedding fotographer is not wrong as it is his job to deliver.

if what the T.S said is true(about the way he explained his decisions to the guests) then maybe he could've handled the situation much better, by employing better PR skills.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

There's a name for your friend and his uncle.. Uncle Bob.

It's an one sided story as we have not heard the photographer side of the story. I suppect there could be more to what the friend and uncle told TS. They might been blocking his way during the march in/toasting/cake cutting etc.. which will piss the photographer off and may led to the issue mentioned. If you respect the main photographer, I am sure he will respect you too.

Well, I'll certainly be the first to declare that i don't like it when people shoot over my shoulder or shoot while I'm shooting especially when I'm posing the couple and it is in fact a clause in my contract that while it is ok for friends and family to shoot, only to do so after or before i shoot and I'm more than glad to give them time with the couple.

I have at many many wedding told friends and family not to shoot while i am shooting and the reason is as follows.

1. A lot of cameras emit that stupid red light (sony pns especially and dslrs with those pop up flashes) that just straight up destroy the picture. No amount of photoshopping saves the images. And then the flash is pretty bad too. screws up both white balance and exposure. I've had quite a few really great shot messed up because of autofocus assist lights.

2. It's already hell of a lot of work trying to get the attention of the couple on the wedding day and getting them to look where I want to look without other camera guys distracting them, this is especially so for the group shots when the people in the group have no idea which camera to look at.

3. maybe it's ok in singapore, but in many other parts of the world, it's just plain rude to shoot a shot set up by someone else and call it your own. At least be polite and ask. or even be better I would be creative and create my own picture, one that I would be proud to call my own.

4. When I'm trying to get these shots in before the next program of the day and the uncle bobs are in your shots or limiting the shots I can do, it's really unfair to both the couple and me.

5. Finally, it takes me like 2-3 minutes to get the shot, i dont see why these uncle bobs cant just wait for 2 minutes, why do they need to be shooting exactly the same time as me. shoot before, shoot after, but why the same time?

so i'll put it out there for other photogs if i meet you at a wedding. Please don't shoot over my shoulder while i'm shooting. shoot before, shoot after, no problem. Not being unfriendly, just trying to do my job and in the fastest way possible.

no matter what the contract or photographer says, there will always be people doing that.

ALWAYS. be it serious hobbyists, or p/s trigger happies, it's a happy occasion pple go mad taking pics, it's NORMAL.

if it really does get out of hand for me, i will stop shooting at let the person be in the limelight and ask them to go ahead first. trust me, after a few times of pausing to let someone else shoot, the couple will ask them to stop and let me do my work.

i'm fine with not posing AT ALL at a wedding. so if i dun ever get a posed shot at a wedding i can still deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    heh.. sounds like me. Not in photog CCA but shoot school events with 'more impressive' looking gear, all the VIPs and prize winners look at me.

..then I submit the photos of course =X and the other 'official' photogs are okay. But if it were a paid shoot, official photographers will be angry.
    Bottomline is if you want subjects to look at you, you have to have a more prominent camera. The cheapest solution is to use a BIG oversized lens hood.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Bottomline is if you want subjects to look at you, you have to have a more prominent camera. The cheapest solution is to use a BIG oversized lens hood.
    wrong...

no slr is bigger than a DV cam. not at least those that wedding videographers use. complete with continuous light on top.

I guess priority has to be given to the official photographer first, then the rest of the guests can have their shots...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post

i cannot fully agree with the statement that the Photographer has no personal interest after he hands over his work and gets paid. Cos i do know of alot of photographers who become very good friends with the couples and even some who become god parents of their couples' kids.
    as a photographer, u gotta know where u stand in the eyes of the wedding couple. sure, u are capturing the big day, but are u a friend (yet) or relative?

mind u, i have only shot at one of my friends wedding as a guest and did not encounter any problems with the photog. of course, i kept well out of his way. i wasn't the onl one shooting.

wanna take it all the way? then bring a locker system and make all the guests keep their cameras. maybe only alow point n shoots in

on the other hand, i have also shot ROM for somebody (paid). if i had seen another photog, i'd take the chance to make a new friend and chat with them. instead of doing quite the opposite by asking them to bugger off

Joining in the discussion here...

I do get annoyed when knowing that there is obviously an official photographer, those so call friends/relatives get in my way to shoot the couples and there's one incident the 'photographer' can say 'excuse me' ---> wanting to go in front of me to shoot while I was about to shoot...

...However, tactfully and politely I have to tell them, "Sorry brother, don't mind if you allow me to shoot first, after that you can shoot"...no choice, they have to oblige... hehehe

...But sometimes if I really want to pose them, I will allow others to take them first, then I ask the couples to pose how I want it to be...after immediately get them to do other pose...

Quote Originally Posted by boyboy View Post
    " the photog has none after he hands over his work and gets paid "
    Quote Originally Posted by boyboy View Post
    as a photographer, u gotta know where u stand in the eyes of the wedding couple. sure, u are capturing the big day, but are u a friend (yet) or relative?
    mind u, i have only shot at one of my friends wedding as a guest and did not encounter any problems with the photog. of course, i kept well out of his way. i wasn't the onl one shooting.

wanna take it all the way? then bring a locker system and make all the guests keep their cameras. maybe only alow point n shoots in

on the other hand, i have also shot ROM for somebody (paid). if i had seen another photog, i'd take the chance to make a new friend and chat with them. instead of doing quite the opposite by asking them to bugger off

Firstly, i was answering in context of your initial statement that the Photog has no further interest in the couple after the products are delivered.

Secondly, i have not suggested that no other people is allowed to shoot except me.

Well, if you were shooting at a wedding i was covering as a guest. I wouldn't have a problem with you shooting if you never got in my way. So... what's your point?

And i have made many aquaintances during my job with other hobbyist photographers who are shooting. So, let me repeat myself. I have no problem if another photographer wants to shoot as long as he does not get in the way..

This is probably a very very good read for those who are interested in the reasons why SOME photographers don't like it when other people start shooting away next to them.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/699883

mmmm.......lots of sparks in this thread....

My 2 cents......

one.... the "professional" photographer may need to polish up his EQ/PR skills. No matter that the contract may back the "professional" photographer in his demands..if you handle the situation badly, words get around real fast... unless the "professional" photographer is like churning world-class photos...(most artistically-inclined people i know are quite eccentric and quirky...), he needs to care about the impression he is making... the people that he told off might just be the client's boss...

two.... trademark pose? the moment the pictures go to print or are delivered, the poses are there for people to study and imitate. Unless u r trying to trademark the poses like india (if i remember correctly) patenting some yoga poses? It is a futile attempt to protect such poses...

three.... unless it is a free-for-all event, it is basic courtesy for any photographers to let the "professional" do his job then take turns to take. It is also basic courtesy never to hinder the "professional" in doing his job...

therefore, my conclusion is that both parties have to practise restraint for a better world....

man...i am speaking like i am participating in a beauty pageant or something...hahah
    G

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    no matter what the contract or photographer says, there will always be people doing that.

ALWAYS. be it serious hobbyists, or p/s trigger happies, it's a happy occasion pple go mad taking pics, it's NORMAL.

if it really does get out of hand for me, i will stop shooting at let the person be in the limelight and ask them to go ahead first. trust me, after a few times of pausing to let someone else shoot, the couple will ask them to stop and let me do my work.

i'm fine with not posing AT ALL at a wedding. so if i dun ever get a posed shot at a wedding i can still deliver.
    that's a nice way to put it.. when the couple can tell that you're distracted they'll instead tell the other photogs to stop shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    That's why the top photographers are always re-inventing themselves.

For example, a few years ago, nobody take photos of bride's shoes. Then when someone started it, it was quite a refreshing perspective. Now you see, not only is everyone taking photos of the bride's shoes, it's like a must-have shot! You don't shoot, the make-up artist will automatically place the shoe and ask you to shoot. With the internet age, it's difficult to keep something unique for very long.
    i agree. i kept thinking as i was reading the thread, 'is there such a thing as a trademark pose?'

i can recognise trademark colours/ composition/ mood etc throughout a wedding series but i don't know of one pose that is so unique that no one else in this wide world is using or have used before. if i do get to know of such a pose, i'd probably try it out :P the next immediate chance i get to.

we've heard recommendations for guests and photogs here. i'd suggest something to marrying couples and this is from my own experience.
    - identify your enthusiastic photog relatives/ friends and tell them beforehand to allow the pro to do his/her job. i personally told my freelance/ pro photog friends to not even bring their camera - they are there to enjoy and celebrate my wedding, not to work. and they were understanding.
    - make a public announcement at the start (through the MC of course) that the pro photog(s) will be attempting to capture your once-in-a-lifetime wedding moments and politely invite the guests to not try to take photos or get in the way. one couple where i was the MC actually instructed me to request that none of the guests to take photos as their wedding photos will be available later for viewing and printing through a website they set up.

communication is key. in many cases, no one may be in the wrong but everybody is wrong for not communicating politely.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post

Must admit that I got into joho's way in one wedding, was being too enthusiatic. Sorry joho! Don't think you know which wedding I'm referring to, hope you accept my apologies anyway.

But I felt kinda bad after that, so when I attend weddings banquets now I only shoot candids from my seat and don't use flash, no more roaming around and chasing after shots for me. I hope that is inconspicuous enough to not cause any disruption for the official photog. And if I'm involved in the daytime events as well I will resist the temptation to bring my cam. The photog is there to do a job, no need to make it more difficult than it should be.

actually I don't know why nowadays even something as trivial as this can become a talking issue. Weddings were always seen as an happy occasion, friends and relatives come. Friends take photos of the couple during the march in, the dinner, the toasting etc etc.... It was a way of friends sharing the moment... There were never issues like friends taking pictures when the main photographer is taking pictures. or announcements like no photography during wedding allowed. I have seen friends weddings where the number of flashes from pns, dslrs is enough to make one think they are movie stars! And no one complains about the flash, no one complains their "poses" are copyrighted. Everyone just enjoy and have a good time and later tell the wedding couple. "I send you my pictures yah!" I mean seriously is that not what the wedding is about? and as some have said... even if you dont have posed shots, Im sure you can still deliver. In fact it is the non posed shots that tells the skill of the photographer in being able to anticipate and capture moments.

Perhaps times have changed and things are different now. But honestly is the spirit of the wedding still there? And end note the "my poses are copyrighted" is the dumbest thing I have heard in years.

vince123123
    Guests

Aeskywan: Just insecure photographers at work here hehe

This is an old issue, common among Singaporeans; no initiative or consideration on the part or hirer and hirer's guests to hired photographer.

1. At the onset, paid photographer should highlight that he or she WILL STOP or not proceed with shooting until all hirer's guests and or relations have shot their fill before starting or continuing stylized portraits and poses.

2. As a hirer, be mindful and sensitive towards the professional photographer.

3. If hirer wants freedom to shoot as they and their guests so wishes, DON'T hire a pro. DIY

For me, I just simply stop shooting till they have finished what they want to capture. In events, it is the same - I stop working till the hirer notices me not working and stops those who are shooting to let me do my work.
    Last edited by OldFlower; 24th October 2008 at 07:16 PM.

In most cases, I just stop shooting until the others are done. It's bad enough trying to get everyone in position so that they can be seen - let alone them looking everywhere except at you. It's not easy when you, and not the guests, are answerable to the couple for the photos eventually. That said, I think most guests are quite reasonable and will only shoot after I'm done - after they understand the reason.

As for the candids - it's unfortunate that today's flash technologies fire silly red beams - especially in low light - as what kuang mentioned. It can really destroy what could've been a wonderful shot when your face/clothes/hands etc are splashed in red
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 25th October 2008 at 02:23 AM.

I always feel it is always important to remain cordial to guests and relatives of clients.

Have you even been pushed by a rude elderly waitress when you do a group table shot (for the bridegroom's family) and the waitress tells you off to give way to her as she needs to do the dishes first? hahaha, shiz happens ok... If you flip, it show you are just as rude as her.

Have you been blocked by a 1.7m tall lad right at the centre front portion of march in and he wont move an inch, with his legs spread apart, blocking the videographer (who is next to the stage) and you as a photographer?

Sometimes, we have to control ourselves that these are close relatives/friends who might be assigned by the couple's parents to help cover more angles (or just in case the photos cant be delivered by the paid photographer). To them, it is insurance. To us, it is nuisance.

As for stealing pose and hence an image, I sometimes feel that it is almost impossible for two photographers to have same pictures, same lighting technique and same mood from the same pose. Even if they are having the exact same gears, the two pictures will likely look very different. So, it is not possible for them to steal unless the guest has much better skills and equipment than the assigned photographer.

I usually shoot in manual mode all the way and I dont think it is easy for another person to produce the same shot as I did. I may not have a camera as advance as the guest, but I shoot what I have in mind. Even if I pass to the guest my camera to shoot me (by request of the bride/groom), more often than not, the pictures wont likely turn out the same as what I had set.

I was once told of a true story of a photographer requesting to walk out from a high profile wedding shoot. The assigned photographer is very well know, but little did he know that the guest invited another well known photographer for the same coverage. The non official photographer did not ask for money for the shoot. In the end, he was literally following behind the main photographer observing and learning his entire workflow. The main photographer was so offended, after one hour, he walked up to the couple and said he was done with the shoot as a special guest had been trying to be his shadow.

Many weird things do happen in a wedding scene. We just call it luck sometimes. Perhaps we just have to deal with it. If in doubt, call clubsnap.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast