Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Photographer Mishap: What to do?

Default Re: Wedding Photographer Mishap: What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    your friend and uncle went back where?
    home ah?
    Their seats. But of course in a slightly bad tempered mood.

vince123123
    Guests

I had the exact same thing happen to me that time when i was shooting for a friend; the pro felt threatened by me so he stopped me when I wanted to shoot after him. The best part was when later I set up a shot of my own, he came over to steal my shot.

Its so funny...hahah

Some "pros" are just too insecure. If I was evil, I'd have thought it probably had something to do with him using a D70 and me using a D100.

Quote Originally Posted by Makanator View Post
    Okay i do not know whether this is the right section of the forum to post this on but i will just go ahead(Sorry moderators). Here we go(as told by my friend):

Recently, my friend's niece was having a wedding party and like all married couples do, hire a wedding photographer to capture this significant part of their life. Well my friend and his uncle brought along their DLSR along to capture some moment for personal use and storage. When they saw the wedding photographer asking the couples to pose for a couple of pictures, they decided to join in.

However, the wedding photographer asked them to stop as he was paid to do his job. My friend and his uncle were not sure what was going on.

The uncle then tried to talk some sense by saying that he and his nephew(my friend) can shoot together as though it's a model shoot. To further worsen the situation, the wedding photographer claims that he invented the poses the couples were doing and that my friend and his uncle should stop immediately.

Frustrated, my friend and his uncle went back. But not to ruin the ceremonious occasion, they decided not to inform the groom and the bride.

So in this type of situation, what do you do? And what measures can be taken to prevent such an incident from happening again?

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    Simple!

Your uncle and friend are guests. Period. Whether they take any shots or not is not important. Remember,...guest.

The photographer is paid to do a job and has certain responsibilities. YES, he may not have phrase it correctly or handled it in a polite manner, but remember he was paid to do a job and he has to deliver.

It does not need a scientist to work out the equation here. Photography enthusiasts, please.. if a photographer is paid, he has to deliver.. whether u take a shot or not.. its someones day and remember... u r a guest
    Well from my POV, i think there's something ironic in the part where my friend and his uncles are "guest".

If they are the guest, perhaps the photographer will be nice enough to explain in a short and succinct manner that he is doing a job and that if possible, they could try not to interfere. Instead of just going about with his higher-than-thou attitude and slighting them.

I do understand it's a job but there could be a better approach to solve the issue.

Which was more important?

1) The couples' wedding day, and photographs?

2) The relatives grabbing a chance to shoot the posed shots?

3) The professional's duties to execute and deliver to the best of his/her ability what he/she was contracted to do?

vince123123
    Guests

The important question is also, will the relative's shot ruin the photographer's shot? If not, then is that a factor?

Ahh ... probabilities ... but's that's side-tracking a bit ... and secondary, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Ahh ... probabilities ... but's that's side-tracking a bit ... and secondary, isn't it?
    A lot of factors to consider and evaluate. All it takes is one unlucky flash from some other camera, and the offending flash may ruin your photo. I've experienced that before.

And whatabout if your flash is colour corrected for tungsten lights, but someone else's isn't and it happens to fire when you shoot?

I think the photographer was being insensitive. Granted. Yet, perhaps he has poor communication skills but what he was really trying to do was eliminate all external forms of possible ruining of his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The important question is also, will the relative's shot ruin the photographer's shot? If not, then is that a factor?
    Not illegal...right.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

We're ASSUMING the professional photographer had bad communication skills or was insensitive.

What if he/she mentioned it very nicely, but because the relatives were 'shocked' at the situation whereby they were asked not to shoot, and the mention of his posing the couple being his, said relatives were peeved?

Of course, if the professional photographer was down-right rude, or did not handle the situation in a diplomatic manner, it will be more understandable that anyone would be peeved.

But then again, what understanding and perception of roles and areas of responsibility/ownership on the part of a professional photographer do the relatives have? That would also play a great part in their reaction/perception, and we all know how perception drives almost 'absolute truths' for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Makanator View Post
    Their seats. But of course in a slightly bad tempered mood.
    is not mishap
    having them inside and trying to steal a shot while u miss is a mishap imo

there are still some photogs that in their contract insist that they shall be the only one allowed to take photos of the event exclusively... really depends on what the couple's understanding when they hired the photog.

Dun tink the details were communicated to all guest...

vince123123
    Guests

Well in my case, there won't be another flash from another camera, simply because I waited for him to finish before I wanted to continue. As in completely finished, not just finish that shot.

But well, in my case, the insecure "pro" decided he even needed to even put a stop to that.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    A lot of factors to consider and evaluate. All it takes is one unlucky flash from some other camera, and the offending flash may ruin your photo. I've experienced that before.

And whatabout if your flash is colour corrected for tungsten lights, but someone else's isn't and it happens to fire when you shoot?

I think the photographer was being insensitive. Granted. Yet, perhaps he has poor communication skills but what he was really trying to do was eliminate all external forms of possible ruining of his shots.

vince123123
    Guests

Who's talking about legality or illegality here? Not sure what you're trying to sidetrack to.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Not illegal...right.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Who's talking about legality or illegality here? Not sure what you're trying to sidetrack to.
    not illegal...can dun care about photog and juz carry on loh.

Similar discussion by some overseas wedding photogs that is very relevant to the topic at hand.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/699883
    Last edited by gremlin; 24th October 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boyboy View Post
    that's the whole point isn't it?

a pose is just a pose. there's no copyright attached to it

of course, the hired photog should have whatever position he chose with no inteference from relatives. but even if they do get in the way, it is only polite to tell them nicely.

the customers are not just the wedding couple imho. it's EVERYONE at the wedding dinner. just mho for wedding photogs to think about. after all, they have a personal interest in the couple. the photog has none after he hands over his work and gets paid

Just one more quick question. So if lets say you take time to pose a couple for a "trademark" shot. And someone comes in and starts snapping away at the pose
    you just created and then later says that it is his photos and it is his creation and work.
    How?

Usually when "other" photographers get in the way. i'll just let them have their shots first. then repose the couple and take another. If they decide to come in again after re positioning the couple. i'll let them have a go at it again. But i guess the best way to deal with it is to tell the couple nicely that with "distractions" such as that, the main photographer may have lost some images that may have been possibly good candids.

i cannot fully agree with the statement that the Photographer has no personal interest after he hands over his work and gets paid. Cos i do know of alot of photographers who become very good friends with the couples and even some who become god parents of their couples' kids.

I still feel the story coming from the uncle and friend who feel peeved will be one-sided... but can never tell... last wedding photo I did.. bride's uncle also wanna shoot some so I chatted with him and found out he is an enthusiast. So I shared some pointers and he become my backup photog for the day. So far he is easy to get along and friendly as well so everyone was happy because there was mutual respect.

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    Similar discussion by some overseas wedding photogs that is very relevant to the topic at hand.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/699883
    quite a good read ..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    Just one more quick question. So if lets say you take time to pose a couple for a "trademark" shot. And someone comes in and starts snapping away at the pose
    you just created and then later says that it is his photos and it is his creation and work.
    How?
    That's why the top photographers are always re-inventing themselves.

For example, a few years ago, nobody take photos of bride's shoes. Then when someone started it, it was quite a refreshing perspective. Now you see, not only is everyone taking photos of the bride's shoes, it's like a must-have shot! You don't shoot, the make-up artist will automatically place the shoe and ask you to shoot. With the internet age, it's difficult to keep something unique for very long.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Despite my attempts to catch the attentions of prize presenter and receiver of the prize, there will be countless times when they are looking at some other photographer, just because they are close enough around me, and they have an SLR.

What to do...
    heh.. sounds like me. Not in photog CCA but shoot school events with 'more impressive' looking gear, all the VIPs and prize winners look at me.

..then I submit the photos of course =X and the other 'official' photogs are okay. But if it were a paid shoot, official photographers will be angry.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast