Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Prom night settings? HELP!

Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    I agree with this. Not everyone has the money to rent-- I asked my cca for money to rent a 70-200 2.8IS for an annual concert and they also said no. When there's no income coming in from photography or work, there shouldn't be expenses like renting.

For your settings, just go with ISO1600, Av mode -2/3EV and popup flash at +1EV or more. For group photos, use ISO800 instead and fire off 3 shots or so-- groups are never still, and people always want to see their faces when zoomed in-- not a mess of color noise.
    hey thanks man! i will try the settings too.

Quote Originally Posted by labla View Post
    Common guys, cut the guy some slack. You don't expect a 16 yr old kid to be able to rent whenever he wants, it's gonna cost him at least 20 bucks. It may not be alot, but that's gonna cost him. If you are gonna say that if you are not willing to spend money then don't take photos, shame on you. He's sec 4!!!??? how many of us got so much of 20 dollars to spend on camera rental and all those... I know some people MAY have the money but still.... it's gonna be at least 1/5 of his prom price. He's just asking for the settings that he should use. I know tat it my not turn out nice, and i know that you guys are trying to help but please understand that students like us do not have monthly income of 2-10k. It's not easy to fork out money esp if you are not gonna gain from it.

AND TS if you really think you are not gonna get anything for ur fren, and for yourself, just go in take photos for YOURSELF and enjoy the prom. It's something to enjoy yourself
    hey! thanks for the help. It's not because i can't afford it( although i really can't. i'm gonna be so broke after my exams) But is the chairman's attitude that make me wanna stop taking photos for the prom. I won't fork out from my own pocket for prom. I'm not even the organiser.

It might be a bit unfair for me to judge based on a single sided input from you so far. I am tempted to provide this senario should you carry out the shoot.

1) you carry out the shoot without getting any fast lens and/or external flash
    2) Pictures come out unsatisfactory
    3) You get the blame for not doing a better job
    4) People who sees the pics will judge your skills based on what they see, not based on the background story that your have inadequate support (equipment, financial and perhaps moral support) from the chairman.

If you want to be in photos/don't want to be anti-social, you can always see if you have other friends interested in photography to go shoot together! Can shoot each other shooting lol! But of course still must talk to your friends in between shots if you're participating in the event. It is a little odd to just walk around with the camera the whole day without interacting with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Lol. He's not taliban
    Well, i consider people who expect any 'big ', 'pro' camera to perform divine miracles to be infidels

That was oh-so-witty. Rest assured I can certainly find a hint of percularity inside everyone of us photographers, at least within this community we hold so dear. People and their idiosyncracies, they live in denial- Now fess up before i behead you with my aperture blade.. taliban stylez
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

well, when's the prom?

haf a great time, make sure u do!
    D90, Tamron 18 - 270 VC, 50mm 1.8

Blog Entries

a photographer is only as good as his last shot

i'd say if you want to help shoot, use a p&S camera and blame the camera if the pictures don't turn out right

tell the chap that your camera is at the service centre

Thumbs up Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I guess you still don't get it, even put all the best gear in your hand does not mean you can deliver the photos...

and many of the people here also don't get it,

shoot events, you need a flash, a powerful flash, any professional can't go to an event without flash, but why some people can shoot without flash? cos the end results are for news print or web only.

if you gonne make some prints out from the high ISO shots, you have to live with all the noise. some more the color are so hard to correct, unless you make all of them B&W.

anyway, if you are keen to shoot, just use whatever you have, and tell them to accept whatever results come out, simple as that.

and if you don't think you can shoot, just tell them you can't, let them go and find someone else to shoot for them.

don't make other people problem become your own problem, unless you able to solve the problem. and don't let yourself become other people problem too.
    Old ginger still the hottest!

sorry for digging thread up . i cant help but remember.. each school has their own AV club.. why not get just another AV guy/girl to do it for the school ?

during my time.. we got our AV guys to do it

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    sorry for digging thread up . i cant help but remember.. each school has their own AV club.. why not get just another AV guy/girl to do it for the school ?

and the pictures most probably turns out to be quite bad...

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post

if you see my school yearbook its plagued with bad photos shot by the AV people

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    if you see my school yearbook its plagued with bad photos shot by the AV people
    well if dont mind, why not invite mates to help. Myself as long got free meal and not too far away i dont mind. As in another thread, having a few photographers even amateur ones increase chances of getting good photos. Even if its like 40 out of a thousand shots can considered good, its better than a hundred blur pics.
    I photograph the dead.

they have no budget at all
    so where got $ for your FREE meal ?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    they have no budget at all
    so where got $ for your FREE meal ?
    whatever is available lah. Got Prom night but dont even have soft drinks is pretty bad resource management.
    Spend so much on the event that have only mini budget for the food and drinks.

I really dont mind loh, used to repair computers for small change and even once my friend gave me 2000 namecards on good paper as its the family business for helping him restore the shop XP even though i said no problem.
    I photograph the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    whatever is available lah. Got Prom night but dont even have soft drinks is pretty bad resource management.
    Spend so much on the event that have only mini budget for the food and drinks.

I really dont mind loh, used to repair computers for small change and even once my friend gave me 2000 namecards on good paper as its the family business for helping him restore the shop XP even though i said no problem.
    in case you didn't read carefully. the Original TS has to pay $100 to attend the Prom and ask to shoot at the same time.

You want to make an offer of PAY TO SHOOT to his school??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    in case you didn't read carefully. the Original TS has to pay $100 to attend the Prom and ask to shoot at the same time.

You want to make an offer of PAY TO SHOOT to his school??
    what can i say the TS did not bargain....Prom night is to enjoy but he has to go round and round taking photos and still need to pay for Prom.

If you were in his shoes, would you insist the chairman find another person as photographer or bargain for waiver the payment since be working most of the time?
    I photograph the dead.

Very curious... which school is the TS from?

Eh???? why all the old birds in here all OT-ing? O lvl start lo i think TS gonna stop replying u all till 11th of nov. :P anyway... all e best TS

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    If you were in his shoes, would you insist the chairman find another person as photographer or bargain for waiver the payment since be working most of the time?
    Er, didn't we go over this in page 2?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast