Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117

Thread: Prom night settings? HELP!

  1. #21

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?
    Not too sure about the market rates of prom tickets nowadays.. But I believe that the rental of a 5D and a fast zoom lens for a day should cost less than a prom ticket.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    I have no choice luh seriously. I also wanna take good pictures. But my chairman didn't give me $$ to get the equipments. He knows nuts about cameras. But i agreed to be the photographer. Cannot be i use my own money to rent the lens what. No way
    Show him this thread then.
    Last edited by ahbian; 23rd October 2008 at 08:46 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    I have no choice luh seriously. I also wanna take good pictures. But my chairman didn't give me $$ to get the equipments. He knows nuts about cameras. But i agreed to be the photographer. Cannot be i use my own money to rent the lens what. No way
    Say, "Eh brother. you want me to do a good job cannot be like that lah!"
    D700| D90 | 14-24 F2.8 | 85mm F1.4D | 24-70mm F2.8 | 70-200mm F2.8 VR | 17-55mm F2.8 | SB-900 |

  3. #23

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    It's only fair that since you have to run around with the camera and spoil half of your fun, they can at least chip in for necessary expenses. In a crowded place, I don't think 50mm is going to be of much use. And if you don't want flat photos out of the built in flash, you might need an external flash even with a fast lens. With an external flash (if you know how to use it), even your 18-55 will probably be enough.

    You can of course try your best with existing equipments if your class have realistic ideas on what to expect from the setup. Given what you said about the chairman, it doesn't look as if they have realistic ideas. Try your best and prepare them for the worst just in case.

    good luck anyway.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?
    I don't mean to sound nasty. I am assuming that u are really the photographer for the event and not someone who only bring in a dSLR and take some shots with some of ur friends.

    In the first place, u can use any equipment u want. Its a matter of choice and how well u can handle the equipment. If u don't know how to handle an external flash (light bounce, etc), i rather u not use it. Serious. I have seen many people scr*wing up pictures when they cannot handle the flash properly. Flash is a good tool to use if u know how. My advise for u is that if u really need the external flash, get it a few days b4 hand and play around with it. 50mm is fine, as long as u can handle it. But bring in wider ones for grp pictures.

    Second, if he has no cash for u, and u have no spare cash, juz make do with what u have. I understand that u wanna do it good, but many times, u might have notice, photography is not juz about skill, its about $ as well. They cannot expect u to do a fantastic job if they are not even willing to pay u a single cent. They don't even have the courtesy to pay for ur ticket in. Materalistic it sounds, but its a fact. Pay peanuts and get peanuts.

    Third, i tot that almost all the schools have some photographic equipment? Did u ask ur teacher? maybe u can get some stuff from there.

    Conclusion: No $, don't rent or buy any additional things (unless u can borrow them). Juz do ur best with what u have.

    Last edited by Fotophilic; 23rd October 2008 at 08:58 PM.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  5. #25

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    1. Don't pay for your Prom Night entry ticket or what sorts.
    2. AWOL.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by KenBit View Post
    Don't agree. D90 hailed as one of the best ISO performers out there at ISO 3200 still have some flaws which mean 450D ain't that strong? So recommended for his case is really a flash plus a f/2.8 lens.
    My advice to TS, don't be so persistent I had to learn it the hard way, you will understand when your results come out.
    Regardless of what system you use, a fast lens and flash is needed if you're gonna fill in the shadows cast by the overhead lighting. No system is excluded from this - it defines your lighting's form.

    Is there really a need to insert the comment about the D90?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    I have no choice luh seriously. I also wanna take good pictures. But my chairman didn't give me $$ to get the equipments. He knows nuts about cameras. But i agreed to be the photographer. Cannot be i use my own money to rent the lens what. No way
    Then you have to bring this up to him. As has been said already, if he is not willing to at least foot your rental bill in exchange for your time covering the whole prom night (rather than just enjoying yourself and shooting for your own keepsakes), then you have to tell him very firmly that you will not be producing anything remotely pleasing (unless you are a miracle worker).

    You need to stand up and speak up as a photographer because you know the limitations of the scene and your equipment; they don't.

  7. #27
    Member Crappinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    After reading, I have a question. 50mm f?!?. Isn't that kind of crucial here since it's low light? And in my opinion, 450D's noise control is pretty bad so you don't want to push it up too high.

    Generally, if you're skillful, using a large aperture lens like 50 1.2L will be best, maybe even throw in a flash. But then again you're short on cash for equipment. Perhaps borrow from other friends?

    Also, if you're using f2.8 in my definition of low light (Indoors, dimmed lights, at night), you'll probably not be able to even focus without IR AF assist with a 450D. I don't even think the 1D3 can.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    After reading, I have a question. 50mm f?!?. Isn't that kind of crucial here since it's low light? And in my opinion, 450D's noise control is pretty bad so you don't want to push it up too high.

    Generally, if you're skillful, using a large aperture lens like 50 1.2L will be best, maybe even throw in a flash. But then again you're short on cash for equipment. Perhaps borrow from other friends?

    Also, if you're using f2.8 in my definition of low light (Indoors, dimmed lights, at night), you'll probably not be able to even focus without IR AF assist with a 450D. I don't even think the 1D3 can.
    I have 50mm f1.8 so yea...

  9. #29

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    After reading, I have a question. 50mm f?!?. Isn't that kind of crucial here since it's low light? And in my opinion, 450D's noise control is pretty bad so you don't want to push it up too high.

    Generally, if you're skillful, using a large aperture lens like 50 1.2L will be best, maybe even throw in a flash. But then again you're short on cash for equipment. Perhaps borrow from other friends?

    Also, if you're using f2.8 in my definition of low light (Indoors, dimmed lights, at night), you'll probably not be able to even focus without IR AF assist with a 450D. I don't even think the 1D3 can.
    Think you are right to point out "skillful", the large aperture can help but will the DOF work against him?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Well guys, i will talk to the chairman again tmr and see how. Or else i will just take some pictures for myself and my friends. Don't care about the photographer thing already

  11. #31
    Member kkenji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    singapore...yio chu kang
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    hmm if its me, i'd take it as a investment !! =)
    i probably rent a 12-60mm swd for my e-3 if im asked to shoot..
    btw, worry about the o's 1st huh !!
    left like 7 more papers then worry about the lens !!

    btw what school you from ??
    im from montfort !

  12. #32

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Regardless of what system you use, a fast lens and flash is needed if you're gonna fill in the shadows cast by the overhead lighting. No system is excluded from this - it defines your lighting's form.

    Is there really a need to insert the comment about the D90?
    Its just trying to point out even the best performers also need flash and f/2.8 lenses?
    D700| D90 | 14-24 F2.8 | 85mm F1.4D | 24-70mm F2.8 | 70-200mm F2.8 VR | 17-55mm F2.8 | SB-900 |

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    After reading, I have a question. 50mm f?!?. Isn't that kind of crucial here since it's low light? And in my opinion, 450D's noise control is pretty bad so you don't want to push it up too high.

    Generally, if you're skillful, using a large aperture lens like 50 1.2L will be best, maybe even throw in a flash. But then again you're short on cash for equipment. Perhaps borrow from other friends?

    Also, if you're using f2.8 in my definition of low light (Indoors, dimmed lights, at night), you'll probably not be able to even focus without IR AF assist with a 450D. I don't even think the 1D3 can.
    The issue that our threadstarter is facing is likely more of 50mm being too long a focal length on a crop body. He is going to find it tough for any group larger than 3 people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    Well guys, i will talk to the chairman again tmr and see how. Or else i will just take some pictures for myself and my friends. Don't care about the photographer thing already
    Agree. This is probably the best thing to do at the moment. He can't be expecting a free lunch from you, so to speak.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by kkenji View Post
    hmm if its me, i'd take it as a investment !! =)
    i probably rent a 12-60mm swd for my e-3 if im asked to shoot..
    btw, worry about the o's 1st huh !!
    left like 7 more papers then worry about the lens !!

    btw what school you from ??
    im from montfort !
    HAHA yea, 'o's first. No luh, not 7. I think around 10more. haha i'm from beatty btw.

  15. #35
    Member kkenji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    singapore...yio chu kang
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    I don't mean to sound nasty. I am assuming that u are really the photographer for the event and not someone who only bring in a dSLR and take some shots with some of ur friends.

    In the first place, u can use any equipment u want. Its a matter of choice and how well u can handle the equipment. If u don't know how to handle an external flash (light bounce, etc), i rather u not use it. Serious. I have seen many people scr*wing up pictures when they cannot handle the flash properly. Flash is a good tool to use if u know how. My advise for u is that if u really need the external flash, get it a few days b4 hand and play around with it. 50mm is fine, as long as u can handle it. But bring in wider ones for grp pictures.

    Second, if he has no cash for u, and u have no spare cash, juz make do with what u have. I understand that u wanna do it good, but many times, u might have notice, photography is not juz about skill, its about $ as well. They cannot expect u to do a fantastic job if they are not even willing to pay u a single cent. They don't even have the courtesy to pay for ur ticket in. Materalistic it sounds, but its a fact. Pay peanuts and get peanuts.

    Third, i tot that almost all the schools have some photographic equipment? Did u ask ur teacher? maybe u can get some stuff from there.

    Conclusion: No $, don't rent or buy any additional things (unless u can borrow them). Juz do ur best with what u have.


    actualy, for my school we do not have a photography club.
    im in the AV club and we have to settle the photography for school events too.
    it was something we try to pass down from senior to jr.
    and we do not have any equipment at all..unless you're counting a 5mp finepix for quick shots and the dont know how to use dslr peeps
    other then that, most in fact all the time i have to use my e-3 while my jr uses his 40d.
    we dont even have a proper tripod!!
    but all the photos goes into the school mag and on 2 occasions mine went to SPH for the straits time sports section write up on my school =)

  16. #36

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    Well guys, i will talk to the chairman again tmr and see how. Or else i will just take some pictures for myself and my friends. Don't care about the photographer thing already
    remember to let them know with enough time ahead.

  17. #37
    Member kkenji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    singapore...yio chu kang
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    10 more ?

    i thought left maths paper 1 tmr...

    next week its ss, phy and math 2..

    the next after its poa and chin and 1 more week after that its poa and sci mcq!!!

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by kkenji View Post
    10 more ?

    i thought left maths paper 1 tmr...

    next week its ss, phy and math 2..

    the next after its poa and chin and 1 more week after that its poa and sci mcq!!!
    Hey hey hey guys let's get back on track on the thread shall we? You guys can go to the Kopitiam section if you want to talk about the papers...

    Topic-wise, i think the chairman is very unfair when he's asking you to take on a fairly large task without any budget. You could considering sharing the cost with the chairman if your chairman thinks that it is unfair on his side to bear the full financial "burden".

    But when people who knows nuts about DLSR wants you to shoot for them, they will usually have too much expectations on you.

  19. #39
    Member Crappinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Think you are right to point out "skillful", the large aperture can help but will the DOF work against him?
    Actually for me it didn't feel difficult to shoot with large apertures. If using one shot (focus), focus fast, shoot fast. And of course cannot focus and recompose. Using AI Servo makes it even easier. Just focus and shoot.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Okay now guys! Now the chairman tell me that the prom night is in a ballroom with BRIGHT lights! Like those normal ballroom. But i think he is crapping with me since there will be dance and performance. I don't think it will be very BRIGHT. Anyway, just wanna know what kind of settings should i use?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •