Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 117

Thread: Prom night settings? HELP!

  1. #1

    Default Prom night settings? HELP!

    Guys! my level is having prom night soon after our 'o's. And I was asked to be their photographer. Here's the thing, i have a 450D and i have 3lens. 18-55mm, 50mm and 55-250mm. AND i have no idea which lens to bring. I think the prom will be alittle dark so can i have some help on which lens to bring? IF i can bring one, that will be good. cause i don't wanna bring my bag around. AND what kind of settings should i have on my camera?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    If you have some cash to spare, you could try renting a lens. I rented a 17-55 2.8 IS for my prom last year..

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    If you have some cash to spare, you could try renting a lens. I rented a 17-55 2.8 IS for my prom last year..
    This is a good idea. On top of that, you'll most likely need to use flash too.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    how much will it cost? my kit lens cannot? cause i don't really have spare cash leh

  5. #5

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    If you can tolerate with noise, use high ISO for low light photography.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    well ... they're asking u to shoot right? ... it's only fair that u ask them to provide the equipment ... or at least pay for the rental of the necessary equipment ... u do have every right to refuse them ... and well ...

    the phrase 'you get what you pay for' ... is quite true in the real world ... so if they ain't paying .... they'll have to settle with whatever they can get =/

    pay peanuts - get monkeys

  7. #7

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Agree with them rent either the 17-55 or 24-70 f/2.8 lenses. And get a flash as well maybe speedlite 530Ex II. There's a thread in clubsnap under, marketPlace, Commercial Services Offered.
    D700| D90 | 14-24 F2.8 | 85mm F1.4D | 24-70mm F2.8 | 70-200mm F2.8 VR | 17-55mm F2.8 | SB-900 |

  8. #8

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    A 17-55 f2.8, should be less than $30 for rent.

    Or a 5D with 24-70mm, might not even need flash as you can pump the ISO with this camera.
    Last edited by ahbian; 23rd October 2008 at 08:24 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    how much will it cost? my kit lens cannot? cause i don't really have spare cash leh
    Do you understand the fundamentals of exposure? Three factors right? Because your kit lens has a slow aperture, you will have trouble getting good exposure in those dim ballroom lights.

    For rentals: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359995

    You know how tight the 50mm focal length is right? Do you think you can shoot everything with it?
    Last edited by calebk; 23rd October 2008 at 08:27 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    But i'm just supposed to take those candid shots so i was wondering 50mm will be good

  12. #12

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    FLASH!!.. no flash then no point liao.. dun think u can rely on ur built-in flash.. keep your 55-200 at home lah...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?
    Honestly, it depends on how much is expected from you. Sure, your 450D + 50mm and pop-up flash can do the job. But it sure will be quite a challenge to make your shots varied and aesthetically pleasing.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    But i'm just supposed to take those candid shots so i was wondering 50mm will be good
    seems to me you're kinda persistent...
    if that's the case, use your kit lens with ISO 1600.
    after all 450's noise control is good.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    But i'm just supposed to take those candid shots so i was wondering 50mm will be good
    Either get a zoom or be extra quick with your feet. Your chairman should at least give you a small budget. Its rather exploitative based on the expectations.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    If your chairman isn't going to help you on, I think it might be best that you refuse to shoot it for them. Bring your camera and shoot for your own keepsakes. I agree that it sounds very exploitative; he's asking you for a free ride.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    seems to me you're kinda persistent...
    if that's the case, use your kit lens with ISO 1600.
    after all 450's noise control is good.
    Don't agree. D90 hailed as one of the best ISO performers out there at ISO 3200 still have some flaws which mean 450D ain't that strong? So recommended for his case is really a flash plus a f/2.8 lens.
    My advice to TS, don't be so persistent I had to learn it the hard way, you will understand when your results come out.
    D700| D90 | 14-24 F2.8 | 85mm F1.4D | 24-70mm F2.8 | 70-200mm F2.8 VR | 17-55mm F2.8 | SB-900 |

  18. #18

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    chairman as in class chairman? ask him to get the class to chip in abit of money, shouldn't be that difficult..

  19. #19

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    If your chairman isn't going to help you on, I think it might be best that you refuse to shoot it for them. Bring your camera and shoot for your own keepsakes. I agree that it sounds very exploitative; he's asking you for a free ride.
    The chairman shouldn't expect and won't get good results. At the end of the day, the chairman's most probably gonna get punished.
    D700| D90 | 14-24 F2.8 | 85mm F1.4D | 24-70mm F2.8 | 70-200mm F2.8 VR | 17-55mm F2.8 | SB-900 |

  20. #20

    Default Re: Prom night settings? HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    If your chairman isn't going to help you on, I think it might be best that you refuse to shoot it for them. Bring your camera and shoot for your own keepsakes. I agree that it sounds very exploitative; he's asking you for a free ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenBit View Post
    Don't agree. D90 hailed as one of the best ISO performers out there at ISO 3200 still have some flaws which mean 450D ain't that strong? So recommended for his case is really a flash plus a f/2.8 lens.
    My advice to TS, don't be so persistent I had to learn it the hard way, you will understand when your results come out.
    I have no choice luh seriously. I also wanna take good pictures. But my chairman didn't give me $$ to get the equipments. He knows nuts about cameras. But i agreed to be the photographer. Cannot be i use my own money to rent the lens what. No way

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •