Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP I hereby Rest my Case on the Marathon

Default Re: RIP I hereby Rest my Case on the Marathon

It's a free world, no one's pointing a gun at you to join. And if one joins a competition and expects a particular outcome from the start, then it is the wrong place to be.

Everybody knows there's an element of subjectivity in a photography competition.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    It's a free world, no one's pointing a gun at you to join. And if one joins a competition and expects a particular outcome from the start, then it is the wrong place to be.

Everybody knows there's an element of subjectivity in a photography competition.
    Dun get it why he say RIP yet continue his ranting...

1 thread not enuff, now 2nd one...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

In every photo competition there can be only one First Prize Winner.

But to make everybody happy, the rest are all Runner Ups and thus be awarded Second Prize which can be a Tshirt or lens cap or camera strap or blower brush and a Cetificate.

Now I'll call this a spirit of participation for the good of photographic fellowship and a nice torch of Brand Promotion.

My 2cents...

After reading the other thread and this thread...I feel that TS is not "sour grapes". He's merely commenting on his feelings in regards to this competiton...and based on some of the other replies he's not alone in feeling this way.

Many of those who are rebutting TS are mostly people who 1) Won something 2) Have Friends who won something 3) Ardent Canon supporters. Put all these "loyalty" feelings aside and look at the whole picture. The winning entries are quite good but the thing here is...do you feel that every one of those winning entries is the very best of the whole lot?

I participated. I didn't win anything. I didn't even get selected. It's my 1st competition so I didn't bear any hopes of winning anything since it's out of 1300 other photographers whom most are much much more experienced than me. I enjoyed myself thoroughly even though my feet ached like crazy afterwards. I thought it's a street photography kinda contest so I walked around the area...climbing up 21st storey of Chinatown HDB block and then walking down to take a few shots every level down to see how the change in angle turns out. Squat and took photo of children playing at Bugis fountain until some kid was having so much fun that he accidentally spashed the water all over me and my camera.

Then when I came back and saw the slideshow and shortlisted pics...I saw many "posed" and "studio" photos. I really liked the idea of the prawn shot. Was very memorable. I don't think these people who took "studio" and "posed" shots "broke" any rules because they took them during the time constraints. It was fair game for them. It's the Judges who selected those shots and made them winning entries over the others in the lot. Though I do congratulate those who won but yet I feel bad for some others who "I feel" did as well a good job but using street photography where we don't have the luxury of getting someone to pose for us while we take our time to adjust angle and exposure.

I feel that since PnS cameras are also taking part in this competition so certain technical aspects (slightly low/high exposure...slight blur...grainy...etc) shouldnt be penalised. It's the framing and the creativity of the subject that matters. I hope that for next year the identity of the Judges will be revealed before hand...like the Nikon competiton on their website. For all you know...their Judge/Judges may not even be Professional Photographers.
    Last edited by samtcy; 23rd October 2008 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samtcy View Post
    Many of those who are rebutting TS are mostly people who 1) Won something 2) Have Friends who won something 3) Ardent Canon supporters.
    It sounds like a skirmish between Canon Marathon Royalists vs Anti-Canon Marathon Rebel Forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    It sounds like a skirmish between Canon Marathon Royalists vs Anti-Canon Marathon Rebel Forces.

My 2cents...

After reading the other thread and this thread...I feel that TS is not "sour grapes". He's merely commenting on his feelings in regards to this competiton...and based on some of the other replies he's not alone in feeling this way.

Many of those who are rebutting TS are mostly people who 1) Won something 2) Have Friends who won something 3) Ardent Canon supporters. Put all these "loyalty" feelings aside and look at the whole picture. The winning entries are quite good but the thing here is...do you feel that every one of those winning entries is the very best of the whole lot?

I participated. I didn't win anything. I didn't even get selected. It's my 1st competition so I didn't bear any hopes of winning anything since it's out of 1300 other photographers whom most are much much more experienced than me. I enjoyed myself thoroughly even though my feet ached like crazy afterwards. I thought it's a street photography kinda contest so I walked around the area...climbing up 21st storey of Chinatown HDB block and then walking down to take a few shots every level down to see how the change in angle turns out. Squat and took photo of children playing at Bugis fountain until some kid was having so much fun that he accidentally spashed the water all over me and my camera.

Then when I came back and saw the slideshow and shortlisted pics...I saw many "posed" and "studio" photos. I really liked the idea of the prawn shot. Was very memorable. I don't think these people who took "studio" and "posed" shots "broke" any rules because they took them during the time constraints. It was fair game for them. It's the Judges who selected those shots and made them winning entries over the others in the lot. Though I do congratulate those who won but yet I feel bad for some others who "I feel" did as well a good job but using street photography where we don't have the luxury of getting someone to pose for us while we take our time to adjust angle and exposure.

I feel that since PnS cameras are also taking part in this competition so certain technical aspects (slightly low/high exposure...slight blur...grainy...etc) shouldnt be penalised. It's the framing and the creativity of the subject that matters. I hope that for next year the identity of the Judges will be revealed before hand...like the Nikon competiton on their website. For all you know...their Judge/Judges may not even be Professional Photographers.
    There is something that i feel very funny about it that some keep saying tat they thought it's a street photography, so it's individual of own assumption? As there is not state rules that it must be street photography and it just had a theme to let us to express it individually.

Or perhaps just like you say, you think it is. Then some take the risk to be "different" and luck just on them as their pics pop out from the rest?

I do have join competitions since the days i learn photography. Cant really remember how many of them and have not win any too only this year. So didt win must go out to "comment" or defame others, this is right ah?

As for the judges, i shall not comment much that i think we should respect them as there must be some reason that Canon asked them to be the judges for this event and WHY NOT US? Think!

"He's merely commenting on his feelings in regards to this competiton"

Pls read CAREFULLY all his post! And personally, if he really so care about the whatever "transparency" He would just WRITE OR CALL the CANON management, right?

Closed a thread and started and thread "RIP I hereby Rest my Case on the Marathon"? haahhahaahaha that's funny lor.

but using street photography where we don't have the luxury of getting someone to pose for us while we take our time to adjust angle and exposure.

Not enough time? Then is it the one shd brush up their own skill? or

Just like i have said at the other thread, and have post 3 pics that i have shots during the Firewalking event. Can you enlighten me? Can you define what is call BEST?????

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=427966&page=7

feel that since PnS cameras are also taking part in this competition so certain technical aspects (slightly low/high exposure...slight blur...grainy...etc) shouldnt be penalised.

Look carefully on the winning PICS, not all are TECHNICALLY "correct" so again, so did the judges penalised them?
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

I always thought my photos are the best!
    everytime i joined competition i sure win one...
    but what happen?
    i hardly win anything...
    WTF is those judges thinking!! they bloody cheating me!!
    They didn't understand my photos! all they see are those ugly photos taken by some cheaters!!
    MUST COMPLAIN!! COMPLAINNNNN !!!

ps : anyone may copy paste the sentences above if you feel the same way as me

hi, I think if your gripe is regarding the winning photos, you may want to write in to request that the organisers look into the selection of their judges, and then see how it turns out next year

Just wanna make it clear that my "I feel that since PnS cameras are also taking part in this competition so certain technical aspects (slightly low/high exposure...slight blur...grainy...etc) shouldnt be penalised" is because some pple commented that some photos are technically not ideal yet can get shortlisted. I've been reading the various Canon Photomarathon threads lately so I jumbled all my thoughts into my 1 single post and didn't realised that posting this statement here may seemed like I am complaining against this point.

Tupi Guy...
    Yes. I assumed that I thought it's Street Photography. But I also did said "I don't think these people who took "studio" and "posed" shots "broke" any rules because they took them during the time constraints. It was fair game for them"

But though you won a prize...pls don't assume that all others who are giving bad comments about this competition to be jealous or anything.

As for "brushing up skill" in regards to street photography...many times a subject's expression or event happens in a fleet of a moment. If you happen to blink or checking your previous's shot in your camera..etc...and you will miss it. The subject won't stay stationary there for us to take...

its the org., judges and other photogs fault that i didnt win. rip.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    its the org., judges and other photogs fault that i didnt win. rip.
    I blame my camera.

It is not big and fast enough to win competition.

They still cannot find my certificate of participation. LOL.
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

As for "brushing up skill" in regards to street photography...many times a subject's expression or event happens in a fleet of a moment. If you happen to blink or checking your previous's shot in your camera..etc...and you will miss it. The subject won't stay stationary there for us to take...
    The thing about photography is, you either get the shot or you don't.
    Even if you have to bribe, steal, kill, break a leg, the one thing that matters at the end is that YOU GOT THE SHOT.
    and if you didn't, you didn't.

to be fair, i loved every single one of the open category shots. not the case for the student shots.

but i'm man enough to acknowledge that the judges might see something more than what i see in those shots. there has to be some merit in those shots for them to want to choose the shots. and also that the competition is judged by them, not me, so i have no bloody right to comment unless there is obvious foul play. have you ever viewed the results of a photo competition where you loved every photo? do you think that is a possible thing?

the ts made many accusations - did you follow the entire thread? at first he disguised it as a great shining knight in armour motive, out to save the world of photography in singapore (as if one competition is going to set the direction).. then as time went on and more people came in to disagree with him.. he started levelling many other funny charges at the organisers.

the best part is, this is not the first time. if that is not cause to question his motive (i.e. a simple case of sour grapes).. i don't know what is.

Tupi Guy...
    Yes. I assumed that I thought it's Street Photography. But I also did said "I don't think these people who took "studio" and "posed" shots "broke" any rules because they took them during the time constraints. It was fair game for them"

But though you won a prize...pls don't assume that all others who are giving bad comments about this competition to be jealous or anything.

hahahaha, i know what you but didt you get what i mean? And again, individual express differently too cos we see things differently so our meaning of street photography is different too. That why i asked you how to define best?

And again, did you see this thread? http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=427966&page=7

And Mattlock just mention it again about "Moment", can everyone get that even every has given a same chance of doing it?

Chill dude, i believe none of us are here to fight each other but to learn from each other
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

i wonder what would be the case if the complainants were offered a last minute honorary prize.

would they reject it, and go all out to fight the perceived injustice and grievance, or just happily accept it and sell the prize?

my bets are on the latter.

it's a photo-marathon, i looked through the rules; and i saw nothing to whine about. there was no "no posed photo" rule, there was not even a single word written about where the photo must be taken. if i owned a private jet and somehow managed to spirit myself away to the maldives to take a photograph of the place there, and the judges deemed it a winner, i would not have broken the rules!
    Last edited by night86mare; 23rd October 2008 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i wonder what would be the case if the complainants were offered a last minute honorary prize.
    I know next you are going to suggest a posthumous honorary prize for Canon Photo Marathon 2008.

They used to organised seminar before the marathon for those taking part telling them what is expected of the judges. Maybe this yr they couldnt have the time slot for the Seminar?

From previous Seminar... IIRC they are looking for picts that have the WOW Factors in the photos, Creativity, knowledge of your equipment ie camera, ur Application and Execution all the Basic Fundamentals...one should know of .... As long as the picts are not DIed, PPed, PSed...

And noone ever said that Canon Photo Marathon is about Street Photography!!! (Care to show which part of the R n R says that it is street photography?) And it is not Name Canon Street Photography Photo Marathon!

IMHO...Other countries may looks like Street Photography maybe becos they do not have the luxury like us where we can have easy access to a studio etc.... so why compare?

Just in case u guys duno/forget the registeration fee $10/$4 is for The St Times School Pocket Fund.
    Last edited by melvin; 23rd October 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    They used to organised seminar before the marathon for those taking part telling them what is expected of the judges. Maybe this yr they couldnt have the time slot for the Seminar?

From previous Seminar... IIRC they are looking for picts that have the WOW Factors in the photos, Creativity, knowledge of your equipment ie camera, ur Application and Execution all the Basic Fundamentals...one should know of .... As long as the picts are not DIed, PPed, PSed...

And noone ever said that Canon Photo Marathon is about Street Photography!!! (Care to show which part of the R n R says that it is street photography?) And it is not Name Canon Street Photography Photo Marathon!

IMHO...Other countries may looks like Street Photography maybe becos they do not have the luxury like us where we can have easy access to a studio etc.... so why compare?

Just in case u guys duno/forget the registeration fee $10/$4 is for The St Times School Pocket Fund.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast