Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Can Someone pls Advise...

  1. #1

    Default Can Someone pls Advise...

    Hi.. I having D60 now. Maybe want to buy 1st or 2nd hand lens to replace Kit len. Can't decide whether ( 18-70mm / 18-105 VR / 18-135mm ) which 1 is the most suitable. Maybe someone here can give mi some advise. Thankz..

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    Hi.. I having D60 now. Maybe want to buy 1st or 2nd hand lens to replace Kit len. Can't decide whether ( 18-70mm / 18-105 VR / 18-135mm ) which 1 is the most suitable. Maybe someone here can give mi some advise. Thankz..

    Hold it!

    what're your reasons for wanting to sell it?

    important to think about this

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,759

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    Hi.. I having D60 now. Maybe want to buy 1st or 2nd hand lens to replace Kit len. Can't decide whether ( 18-70mm / 18-105 VR / 18-135mm ) which 1 is the most suitable. Maybe someone here can give mi some advise. Thankz..
    Forget it... only a lil improvement over your current kit lens. If you wanna upgrade, look for a f2.8 lens at least.

    If you dun mind learning on MF, do try out the 50mm f1.8. It's a cheap tool which is quite good.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Need to find out the reason behind upgrading the existing kit lens.

    You wanted something with a further reach / wider / larger max aperture ?

    Ryan

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    Hold it!

    what're your reasons for wanting to sell it?

    important to think about this
    hmmm.. u mean sell away my kit len? i never intend to sell... i got 55-200mm. maybe wish to get either one of the lens (which mention above) is for easy access.. cos maybe feel abit troublesome to bring 2 lens out n keep changing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Need to find out the reason behind upgrading the existing kit lens.

    You wanted something with a further reach / wider / larger max aperture ?

    Ryan
    yes.. u r right... further reach and wider.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    hmmm.. u mean sell away my kit len? i never intend to sell... i got 55-200mm. maybe wish to get either one of the lens (which mention above) is for easy access.. cos maybe feel abit troublesome to bring 2 lens out n keep changing.
    whoops, slip of the tongue

    anyway, unless your are/planning to get the 18-200VR, i don't see a point in replacing your current kit lens imo. cos the 18-70 + 18-105VR are pretty close in terms of focal range

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    whoops, slip of the tongue

    anyway, unless your are/planning to get the 18-200VR, i don't see a point in replacing your current kit lens imo. cos the 18-70 + 18-105VR are pretty close in terms of focal range
    My kit lens is 18-55mm VR. Don;t really have much different compare to those lens that i mention??

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    My kit lens is 18-55mm VR. Don;t really have much different compare to those lens that i mention??
    ok,for the 18-70mm your only getting 15mm more + you lose the VR!

    for the 18-135mm, if does give you the extra 80mm but, again, you lose the VR which is you'll find more important at high focal lengths

    the 18-105mm appears to be the best choice but if already have a 55-200mmVR, it seems like a waste of $$$ since your set-up is kinda light so popping a 500g telephoto into your bag shouldn't be a problem

    just my 2 cents

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    ok,for the 18-70mm your only getting 15mm more + you lose the VR!

    for the 18-135mm, if does give you the extra 80mm but, again, you lose the VR which is you'll find more important at high focal lengths

    the 18-105mm appears to be the best choice but if already have a 55-200mmVR, it seems like a waste of $$$ since your set-up is kinda light so popping a 500g telephoto into your bag shouldn't be a problem

    just my 2 cents
    icic.. or maybe can consider zac08 suggestions...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    the 18-105mm appears to be the best choice but if already have a 55-200mmVR, it seems like a waste of $$$ since your set-up is kinda light so popping a 500g telephoto into your bag shouldn't be a problem

    just my 2 cents
    Can i ask i silly Question? What do u think, if i sell away 18-55mm VR & 18-200mm VR to fund 18-105 VR or 18-200mm?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    Can i ask i silly Question? What do u think, if i sell away 18-55mm VR & 18-200mm VR to fund 18-105 VR or 18-200mm?
    Get the 18-200VR, really convenient.

    I'm using 18-200VR on my D60, really great. Note that it feels quite front end heavy on a D60...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by jtchoy View Post
    Get the 18-200VR, really convenient.

    I'm using 18-200VR on my D60, really great. Note that it feels quite front end heavy on a D60...
    Cool... Btw do u roughly know how much is the 1st hand price n 2nd hand price ?????

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    Cool... Btw do u roughly know how much is the 1st hand price n 2nd hand price ?????
    Here is the Nikon Pricelist in CS. You can get the latest quotes calling up the shops as well. 2nd hand prices can vary from the condition / age of the lens, and you can get a good idea from searching our Personal Classifieds section.

    18-200 is a convenient zoom lens for the DX sensor. Couple it with a wide angle zoom lens to cover for wider end, and this two lenses will be pretty useful and popular choice for light travelling overseas.

    Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 22nd October 2008 at 04:00 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Here is the Nikon Pricelist in CS. You can get the latest quotes calling up the shops as well. 2nd hand prices can vary from the condition / age of the lens, and you can get a good idea from searching our Personal Classifieds section.

    18-200 is a convenient zoom lens for the DX sensor. Couple it with a wide angle zoom lens to cover for wider end, and this two lenses will be pretty useful and popular choice for light travelling overseas.

    Ryan

    Thanks....

  16. #16

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    Hi.. I having D60 now. Maybe want to buy 1st or 2nd hand lens to replace Kit len. Can't decide whether ( 18-70mm / 18-105 VR / 18-135mm ) which 1 is the most suitable. Maybe someone here can give mi some advise. Thankz..
    they are all similar

    and quite similar to kit lens actually

    why doy ou want to sell? why do you want to buy? is it just for the sake of buying and selling rather than photography?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    they are all similar

    and quite similar to kit lens actually

    why doy ou want to sell? why do you want to buy? is it just for the sake of buying and selling rather than photography?
    i think u have misunderstand. i'm not just for the sake of buying & selling rather than photography. In the 1st place i never state i want to sell my kit lens or anything. i just want some advise from the expert here whether which lens is suitable for D60 if i want e lens mainly for focus lenth, wide angle.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    i think u have misunderstand. i'm not just for the sake of buying & selling rather than photography. In the 1st place i never state i want to sell my kit lens or anything. i just want some advise from the expert here whether which lens is suitable for D60 if i want e lens mainly for focus lenth, wide angle.
    but what do you usually shoot?

    why 18-55 vs 18-70 vs 18-105 vs 18-135? the only difference is perhaps optical quality (if any, i doubt) and the fact that the longer end is just getting.. longer and longer.. and of course VR.

    do you have any basic idea which you are inclined towards, and why? if you behave like a headless chicken, prepare to be treated like one, that's all i'm saying. there is NOTHING wrong with asking, there is a lot wrong with asking when you don't have an opinion by yourself in the first place.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by chunliet View Post
    i think u have misunderstand. i'm not just for the sake of buying & selling rather than photography. In the 1st place i never state i want to sell my kit lens or anything. i just want some advise from the expert here whether which lens is suitable for D60 if i want e lens mainly for focus lenth, wide angle.
    take a look at ur pics to see what focal length u use most of the time.

    I find 18-200 VR too big for D40/40x/60. I mean not only cosmetic wise, but also the "balance" of the weight.

    if u are not too fussy abt the lens quality, built and blar blar blar, actually 18-105 VR is quite nice, if u just want convinence.

    Alternatively if u have $, 16-85 VR is another highly rated lens. At a price of coz.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  20. #20

    Default Re: Can Someone pls Advise...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you behave like a headless chicken, prepare to be treated like one, that's all i'm saying. there is NOTHING wrong with asking, there is a lot wrong with asking when you don't have an opinion by yourself in the first place.
    1st. If u have opinion in the 1st place, u urself already can make the decision.Y have to make an effort to ask?
    2nd. i know u might be expert here. instead of giving good or nice advise to newbie, u reply with this kind of words.
    3th. why others can provide good/nice advise while u cannot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •