Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Time to stop lurking...so HI

  1. #1

    Default Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Hi everyone,

    I have been 'stalking" this site for a few weeks as a passion for photography has slowly started to assert itself back over me and my spare time So I wanted to say "hi" and thank you for the inspiration and the "hints" on how to improve my time out and about clicking away.

    Here are some photos I have taken in the last few weeks in and around Singapore. They have very little PP, maybe some cropping and possible some horizon straightening, save the "tree" which of course was desaturated. I guess this is because I am still not sure how I feel about too much PP being done to a photo preferring the image to maybe capture the moment a little more accurately rather than reflecting what the photographer (or even the subject) wished had been there, but who knows the more I shoot the more my attitude to this might change.









    Thanks in advance for any C&C and once again "hi"
    Last edited by aselley; 22nd October 2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: images don't appear
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

  2. #2

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    As a matter of fact, I am a new-to-photography guy too and I like your shots!
    But then, let's leave it to the veterans to comment.

    I see the Rule of Thirds rather well executed.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    is the 3rd picture taken in pula semakau/?
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

  4. #4

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Thanks...

    ...I think its a good idea to have a good grasp on the compositional "rules" before I decide to try and break them too much.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

  5. #5

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanTan View Post
    is the 3rd picture taken in pula semakau/?
    It was taken from the board walk at Chek Jawa on Pulau Ubin.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    seems to saw it at pula semakau every thing in the pix seems familar.. haha
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

  7. #7

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Hi there & welcome.

    I like your 3rd pic.

    My 2 cents - the colour & contrast for the 1st 2 pics seems a bit off though the composition are nice.
    hasta la justicia siempre

  8. #8
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Hi aselley,

    First of all, thanks for sharing your shots with us! Hope to see more from you.

    I quite like your first 3 pictures actually. They have the same theme - color. The 1st is "brown", the second "green", and the 3rd "white". I would prefer not to include the pipe in the 2nd picture though, as it will look cleaner. The last (4th) picture is a bit out of the place, and would fit the theme with color "blue" if not for the brown deck at the bottom.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    hihi!

    i'm new here too and hope to learn more.
    i love your #2. quite an emotive shot =)
    Tousand Word - A thousand words not read but seen, not seen but felt, not felt but experienced

  10. #10

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Quote Originally Posted by aselley View Post
    Here are some photos I have taken in the last few weeks in and around Singapore. They have very little PP, maybe some cropping and possible some horizon straightening, save the "tree" which of course was desaturated. I guess this is because I am still not sure how I feel about too much PP being done to a photo preferring the image to maybe capture the moment a little more accurately rather than reflecting what the photographer (or even the subject) wished had been there, but who knows the more I shoot the more my attitude to this might change.
    these are very nice images with decent compositions. i think the easiest way to start out in terms of composition is really simplicity - a strong, meaningful subject in isolation is relatively easy to execute (but not so easy to spot).

    i would do some work on them however, because they are a tad washed out (lacking in contrast) bring out the full flavour. i agree that concentrating on fundamentals rather than hoping to photoshop-save everything is a good attitude, and i applaud you for at least having the courage to explore by yourself, and discover this wonderful hobby by yourself. it is the way i did it, and i think it's a good way.

    in any case, don't be afraid to pp either - the camera doesn't quite output what *we see*. and of course, if you do it properly, and tastefully, it will not look over-pp'ed, so really, don't be too phobic about that. also, best to read up more on horizon correcting - the tree in #3 seems to have a curved horizon. probably due to lens distortion..

    nonetheless, keep shooting (and posting). hoping to see more of your works here!
    Last edited by night86mare; 23rd October 2008 at 01:38 AM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    That tree shot is just marvelous.. Perfection in isolation, me thinks.

    About the water shot, if you could just shot it from a lower angle, cutting off the board, it would fit the blue theme, right?
    Footprints Photography - Providing photography and videography services

  12. #12

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Hi aselley,

    First of all, thanks for sharing your shots with us! Hope to see more from you.

    I quite like your first 3 pictures actually. They have the same theme - color. The 1st is "brown", the second "green", and the 3rd "white". I would prefer not to include the pipe in the 2nd picture though, as it will look cleaner. The last (4th) picture is a bit out of the place, and would fit the theme with color "blue" if not for the brown deck at the bottom.
    On the "green" #2 I could crop the pipe out of the original image, but I felt that with so much space at the top the pipe helped lead the eye towards the subject, maybe I need to try your suggestion and then compare them.

    I did try to get lower so the decking would almost disappear but found that too many buildings appeared in the background, so I was stuck between leaving the deck in the shot or ending up with an almost panoramic framed shot, which I did not think the subject warranted.

    Thanks for the feedback, some things to consider, esp. for the PP
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

  13. #13

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    these are very nice images with decent compositions. i think the easiest way to start out in terms of composition is really simplicity - a strong, meaningful subject in isolation is relatively easy to execute (but not so easy to spot).

    i would do some work on them however, because they are a tad washed out (lacking in contrast) bring out the full flavour. i agree that concentrating on fundamentals rather than hoping to photoshop-save everything is a good attitude, and i applaud you for at least having the courage to explore by yourself, and discover this wonderful hobby by yourself. it is the way i did it, and i think it's a good way.

    in any case, don't be afraid to pp either - the camera doesn't quite output what *we see*. and of course, if you do it properly, and tastefully, it will not look over-pp'ed, so really, don't be too phobic about that. also, best to read up more on horizon correcting - the tree in #3 seems to have a curved horizon. probably due to lens distortion..

    nonetheless, keep shooting (and posting). hoping to see more of your works here!
    Thanks. I agree that finding subjects in isolation is difficult, the world just seems a little too cluttered at the moment for someone looking to get simple photos And maybe I should revisit photoshop or another post editing tool (I also use Aperture) and see if I can just bring out my images a little more. I guess some of my reticence is that I use PS quite a bit in my work and was hoping to avoid it too much in my hobby...and I guess the stubborn streak in me wants to think I can find perfect images without it...

    ...but then who am I trying to kid
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

  14. #14

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Quote Originally Posted by cmeptb72 View Post
    Hi there & welcome.

    I like your 3rd pic.

    My 2 cents - the colour & contrast for the 1st 2 pics seems a bit off though the composition are nice.
    Another reason for me to sit and rethink my attitude to post editing. Thanks.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

  15. #15

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Nice shots dude!

    I have exactly the same shot of the same tree at the same location...... dang.
    Nikon D90, Golden Half, Otama

  16. #16

    Default Re: Time to stop lurking...so HI

    Quote Originally Posted by Lujke85 View Post
    Nice shots dude!

    I have exactly the same shot of the same tree at the same location...... dang.
    I think everyone who has done the boardwalk in the morning while the sun is still rising over Malaysia has the same photo...and the one of the lone stump casting its shadow on the mud flat.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •