Thread: Drooping Lens When Taking Portraits Using A Tripod

Default Drooping Lens When Taking Portraits Using A Tripod

Hi all. I recently purchased the Nikkor AFS 24-70mm f2.8 ... and I have one little problem. The lens will start to droop when setup in a portrait position. I was advised to tighten the plate further. But I'm kind of afraid that it might damage the threads or something. So should I tighten it? Or is there any other solution? I'm using a D90 on the Manfrotto 190xprob tripod and 486rc2 ballhead.

Any help is much appreciated ... thanks!
    Darren

btw ... I hope I'm posting this in the right thread

Default Re: Drooping Lens When Taking Portraits Using A Tripod

get a L bracket if you want to stick to manfrotto ball head.

there are some L quick release plate are better design than manfrotto but only work on Arca swiss type of ball heads, which is far more expensive.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks catchlights. I never expected to run into this problem. And right now I don't have that amount of money to spare (still need to get new filters for this lens)

I've been doing some reading and found out about the MN200USS Universal Scope Plate. Does anyone know where I can find it here? Called up a few shops ... they say don't have ... maybe they don't know what I mean ... hehe

Tighten both the base plate as well as the ball head.

One thing with the manfrotto heads is that with a heavy load, it tends to droop a little. Thus, a small work-around would be to aim slightly higher and then tighten the ball head, so the droop will fall back down to the desired position.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

That's right zac08 ... I've learnt to live with tightening with the camera tiltled a little higher. But the new problem I'm facing now is slightly different. When I take portraits, the weight of the lens causes it to droop. Now what I do is support it with my finger ... LOL

But I think the plate I mentioned should solve this problem ... only thing is, I don't know where to get it.

Your ballhead seemed to exhibits a slipping action despite tightening which makes things rather difficult. A better ballhead might do the trick and allow tighten without the need to compensate the original position and hold the camera ( under specified weight ).

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 22nd October 2008 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
    That's right zac08 ... I've learnt to live with tightening with the camera tiltled a little higher. But the new problem I'm facing now is slightly different. When I take portraits, the weight of the lens causes it to droop. Now what I do is support it with my finger ... LOL

But I think the plate I mentioned should solve this problem ... only thing is, I don't know where to get it.
    The L plate will allow you to place the camera on the top and yet in the portrait position. A lil better but I guess it'll still droop a little.

The only way to get rid of this problem is a better and more expensive ballhead.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thanks catchlights. I never expected to run into this problem. And right now I don't have that amount of money to spare (still need to get new filters for this lens)

I've been doing some reading and found out about the MN200USS Universal Scope Plate. Does anyone know where I can find it here? Called up a few shops ... they say don't have ... maybe they don't know what I mean ... hehe
    that thing is for the spotting scope, you should look for this............... anyway it cost about $100.00 and Cathy has it in stock.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi all. I recently purchased the Nikkor AFS 24-70mm f2.8 ... and I have one little problem. The lens will start to droop when setup in a portrait position. I was advised to tighten the plate further. But I'm kind of afraid that it might damage the threads or something. So should I tighten it? Or is there any other solution? I'm using a D90 on the Manfrotto 190xprob tripod and 486rc2 ballhead.

Any help is much appreciated ... thanks!
    Darren

btw ... I hope I'm posting this in the right thread
    Have you thought of using a different type of head? I find it awkward using a ball head in portrait mode.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    Have you thought of using a different type of head? I find it awkward using a ball head in portrait mode.
    hmm...sth i should consider too thanks!

Drooping could be due to the extra long length of the lens causing the CG of the camera/lens to shift too far forward with the moment pulling the lens downwards... made worse by a loosy tripod mount. Can't imagine what would happen if it was the 70-200mm f/2.8 without the use of the tripod collar.

Thank you all for the replies.

I actually love my humble tripod setup ... this is just the one (and only) problem I have when I use that lens. So getting a new ballhead (as tempting as it seems) is out of the question for now.

The possible solutions I have so far are to get either one of those anti-twist plates (Anybody knows where I can find these?) or the elbow/L bracket as some of you have recommended.

CHEERS