Thread: Need advise

Default Need advise

Newbie here...I would like to ask for opinions or advise whether to change my 18-55 IS kit lens to tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens...been reading up the net recently and a lot of reviews say 17-50 is better. Anyway i have a sigma 10-20, tamron 28-75.... Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks...

Default Re: Need advise

Are you unhappy with the pictures that your 18-55 is giving you in terms of sharpness? No? Then no reason to change.
    Alpha

your other lens seems suffice but what are you shooting? Not necessary as 28-75 can do but then again, if you're going to shoot lotsa portraits and if you've spare moolah, why not

I would like to cover landscapes, portraits, indoor events... a bit of everything...and i do find my kit lens a little subpar on sharpness thus looking for replacements....by the way i also have one old 75-300 F4-5.6 lens...a gift from my fren...

Sounds a good enough reason to get it

May I share an experience as a newbie,

Almost all newbies want to shoot a little bit of landscape, portrait, street life, macro, event ect. And most of them (including me) find that the kit lens are not so fast, not so sharp, the color is not so good... But the sharpness depends on many factor, for a newbie, it is probably due to human factor, such as focus technique, handhold technique, sharpness setting, and post-processing.

I used to think that my pictures not so sharp in comparison to that of some pro because I don't have expensive lens. End of the day, it turn out that they use Photoshop to enhance sharpness, there original photos also have so so sharpness and color.

So what I suggest to you is keep using the kit lens first, research more on how to get a sharp photo, how to do post processing, and what kind of photography you want to shoot mainly. May be you also try to borrow the lens to shoot, and see if you can recognize the difference in sharpness.

After all, if you are sure that it is the lens cause the lack of sharpness, then you change the lens.

Good to have a fast lens like the 17-50 f2.8. Whether it's a must-have or not, depends on your shooting preference.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by alieniverson79 View Post
    Newbie here...I would like to ask for opinions or advise whether to change my 18-55 IS kit lens to tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens...been reading up the net recently and a lot of reviews say 17-50 is better....
    Tamron 17-50 is better? than 18-55 IS kit lens? sorry..i don't think so.
    it has f/2.8 constant hole..yes, but sharpness is not so much better. and it's noisy when focusing..
    and there are bad copies out there..
    if u are ok with your 28-75, why u wanna change?