Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drying agent for dry box

Default Re: Drying agent for dry box

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Do note that 30%-35% is a little too low for equipment storage. Lubrication within your equipment parts, and certain rubber parts may dry up, causing cracking.
    Actually, rubber cracks because of the breakdown of the polymer chains which can be attributed to chemical reactions.
    Too dry a enviroment is usually associated with such an occurance but more often than not, its exposure to sunlight and heat.

As for the lubrication drying up...haha... i think shooting more often would most prob prevent it.

All in all, i think theres really no hard and fast rule... as long as it works and suits our needs, theres really no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    brotherrrr moi no use dry box. we use air tight glass containers. the silica gel still dark blue;D

read AIR TIGHT GLASS CONTAINERS

not ur cheapo 2 dollars pasarmalam plastic dry box brother

i feel so HEARTBROKEN
    HAhhaa....actually, its not really air tight lah.
    Those heavy glass container were very popular for keeping metallugy specimens a long time ago. They filled the bottom with silica gel and it keeps the specimen in good condition for a looong time. But 10 years is incredible.

Saw that the post was moved to another thread. Sorry Mod - posted in the wrong thread.
    Olympus EM5 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7 | Oly 45mm F1.8

go to the HOME DIY shop.
    Find for the dehumidifier thing.

You can plug it to dehumidify it.Takes a few hours.
    It costs $20.
    Works perfect.
    Can recharge for quite alot of times. (2 years?)
    One day you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ok. maybe becuase i used 1 whole bottle >< thats y its still dry.

1 whole bottle for a small container. thats like u take machine gun shooting at small guy. bound to hit. bound to dry
    And also likely to dry things up below the recommended RH% value...

Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Actually, rubber cracks because of the breakdown of the polymer chains which can be attributed to chemical reactions.
    Too dry a enviroment is usually associated with such an occurance but more often than not, its exposure to sunlight and heat.

As for the lubrication drying up...haha... i think shooting more often would most prob prevent it.

All in all, i think theres really no hard and fast rule... as long as it works and suits our needs, theres really no right or wrong.
    If you shoot very often, you wouldn't need a dry cabinet much anyway. Fungus develops when your equipment is stored in a cool, dark, humid environment, and this occurs usually when your equipment is not being used.

There actually is a recommended RH% value, and that ranges from 45%-55%
    Last edited by calebk; 23rd October 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12