Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drying agent for dry box

Default Drying agent for dry box

Hi,

Just curious what people use as drying agent for their dry box. I used the hippo thingy (the one that come in a packet).

jh

Blog Entries

Default Re: Drying agent for dry box

silca gel? can buy from any shop that develops film. abt 5 bucks for 1 big bottle. my uncle used only half the bottle and he kept his film slr and lenses super dry for like. i dunno 10 yrs;D until i took it out to use wahhaa

The uncle try to con you, no way silica gel can last that long. Even if he keep the drybox unopened for long periods, moisture will still manage to seep in somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    The uncle try to con you, no way silica gel can last that long. Even if he keep the drybox unopened for long periods, moisture will still manage to seep in somehow.
    I thought regardless of what you use, dry cabinet is still the way to go.
    A little hard to monitor humidity with silcia gel and hungry hippo.
    Ideally supposely be about 40-50% RH.
    Unless u buy a humid gauge you might be over drying your equipment.
    Not really expensive anyway. 130bucks?

Shyan

Actually, silica gel or thirsty hippo would give you about 40% RH...which is ideal for storage of your equip.
    Its really a preference if theres a need for a dry cabinet or even a dry box (a normal tupperware lookalike would do).

Saves your $100 upfront. =)

Used to use Silica gel last time but messy. found the hippo thingy neat and clean. Used those lock it box.. seems to be working well. Thinking of using another box for the lens since i remove and put in the body with lens quite often. Hope this way will minimised the exposure of the lens to moisture. Any one do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Actually, silica gel or thirsty hippo would give you about 40% RH...which is ideal for storage of your equip.
    Its really a preference if theres a need for a dry cabinet or even a dry box (a normal tupperware lookalike would do).

Saves your $100 upfront. =)
    It's a one-time upfront payment for the cabinet, with really low electricity consumption. And you are more or less guaranteed that your equipment is stored in a controlled environment.

I don't understand why everyone wants to try and use thirsty hippo and all, where you have to keep replacing it from time to time, and you are not even close to 100% sure that you have the right RH% value.

I have a spoilt dry cabi, the electronic part kaput after few years and replacing the part alone is as good as buying one, I did bought one.

Nevertheless, I modify the spoilt one a bit to airtight it and place a Hippo or equivalent inside. It was a 26L one. It has been 5 or 6 months and I havn't change it and the Rh is 30% - 35%. I store my old camera or old electrical stuff. Silica is way too troublesome, need to change very often.

Bro calebk has his point too. If you intend to go into SLR n stuff better buy a decent one as even with the method I use, I can't control the RH level . The hippo takes quite a space in the cabi.

just my 2 cents
    NIKON f2.8 black GOLD
    Canon pure White

Quote Originally Posted by markyen View Post
    I have a spoilt dry cabi, the electronic part kaput after few years and replacing the part alone is as good as buying one, I did bought one.

Nevertheless, I modify the spoilt one a bit to airtight it and place a Hippo or equivalent inside. It was a 26L one. It has been 5 or 6 months and I havn't change it and the Rh is 30% - 35%. I store my old camera or old electrical stuff. Silica is way too troublesome, need to change very often.

Bro calebk has his point too. If you intend to go into SLR n stuff better buy a decent one as even with the method I use, I can't control the RH level . The hippo takes quite a space in the cabi.

just my 2 cents
    Do note that 30%-35% is a little too low for equipment storage. Lubrication within your equipment parts, and certain rubber parts may dry up, causing cracking.

OIC

Heng ah. my main equipment are house in the other two digital dry box. cheers bro.
    NIKON f2.8 black GOLD
    Canon pure White

Quote Originally Posted by markyen View Post

just my 2 cents
    Ah ha, same here. Got a spoilt dry cabinet, use a hippo or equivalent (can't remember the brand), was able to maintain the 40-45% RH(this reading was taken with multiple hydrometer, analog and digital) for more than half year. However, my main equipment are still kept in the newer DigiCabi
    Canon 20D,400D,5QD | 17-40mm F4L | 50 f1.8 |100 f2 | 200 f2.8L | 70-210 f3.5-4.5 | 580EX

Have been using dry box & silicon gel for 5 years for my 10D & 2 L-lenses and still no problem. Its personal preference. I do not want to warm up my room, so no electric cabinet for me and save electricity

Quote Originally Posted by freedom View Post
    I do not want to warm up my room, so no electric cabinet for me and save electricity
    Your presence alone (without doing anything) brings in additional warmth of about 83 Watts. The power consumption of a 100l dry cabinet is about 5Watts. Most of it is used to create the temperature gradient at the Peltier element.
    Last edited by Octarine; 22nd October 2008 at 12:55 PM.

I think that are enough electrical stuff at home. don't wish to add another one. btw, do people bring a small dry box for the lens when says travelling for more that two weeks?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    brotherrrr moi no use dry box. we use air tight glass containers. the silica gel still dark blue;D

read AIR TIGHT GLASS CONTAINERS

not ur cheapo 2 dollars pasarmalam plastic dry box brother

i feel so HEARTBROKEN

i found that the bottle of gel that I paid $5 for is going for $3.90 at carrefour. Anyway for me i have a hydrometer in my dry box and my gel is keeping it 40~50 so until I intend to get more equipment, I dun think I would get a dry cabi. Or at least until I find space for it in my room as well.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    brotherrrr moi no use dry box. we use air tight glass containers. the silica gel still dark blue;D

read AIR TIGHT GLASS CONTAINERS

not ur cheapo 2 dollars pasarmalam plastic dry box brother

i feel so HEARTBROKEN
    Erm...the dry box, no matter how air tight, will still have moisture seeping in once you access your equipment. Has that ever occurred to you?

Unless, of course, you mean to say that your atas air tight glass container is brought into a dry room whenever you store/remove equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It's a one-time upfront payment for the cabinet, with really low electricity consumption. And you are more or less guaranteed that your equipment is stored in a controlled environment.

I don't understand why everyone wants to try and use thirsty hippo and all, where you have to keep replacing it from time to time, and you are not even close to 100% sure that you have the right RH% value.
    Yes, i agree. The RH% is only as accurate as the attached hygrometer. This is regardless whether you use a cabinet or a thirsty hippo setup.

Pls note that sillica gel is carcinogenic.

And how much power does a dry cabinet take?? 5 watts only. Your bedroom light is already 32 watts....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

ok. maybe becuase i used 1 whole bottle >< thats y its still dry.

1 whole bottle for a small container. thats like u take machine gun shooting at small guy. bound to hit. bound to dry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast