Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Depth Of Field Preview Button

Default Re: Depth Of Field Preview Button

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Even with you selecting a stopped down aperture?
    don't quite undestand the question. what test do you propose i do?

You will only notice a change if you stop down your aperture. Like if its a f/2.8 lens, and you stop down to f/4, you will see the viewfinder darken etc.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    what are your guys opinion on the location of the preview button?
    i think it could be better. the quick whatever button above it should change places with the DOF button. i reach to that button more easily to the DOF button. middle finger longer.

Quote Originally Posted by canik7 View Post
    i am also using D90 but when i press the DOF button in A mode with f1.4, i dont' see the expected differences. It still looks the same and the aperture just open and close quickly. has anyone experience this and is this a faulty camera.
    you gotta go to M or A mode, set your aperture on your dial, den press that DOF button. it will stop down to the aperture size you selected. if you dun select, how to have something. if you dun see anything after u selected, time to send your cam in to NSC.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

i am also using D90 but when i press the DOF button in A mode with f1.4, i dont' see the expected differences. It still looks the same and the aperture just open and close quickly. has anyone experience this and is this a faulty camera.
    Means your max aperture is f1.4 and you set it to f1.4? Then there should be no difference. Try setting to a smaller aperture.

Thanks all for the information. I can see the viewfinder darken when put to smaller aperture.
    I am using 50mm f1.4 but i thought it was lock at f2.8, so when i set to f1.4, i would expect it to see shallower DOF but didn't notice that. Instead the physical aperture seems to closed up a bit, i guess my assumption of it is lock at f2.8 is wrong.
    Another strange thing is that the picture capture seems to have shallower DOF then what i see from the viewfinder. Does anyone have this experience of it is just because the picture captured has been properly exposed.

Thanks all for the information. I can see the viewfinder darken when put to smaller aperture.
    I am using 50mm f1.4 but i thought it was lock at f2.8, so when i set to f1.4, i would expect it to see shallower DOF but didn't notice that. Instead the physical aperture seems to closed up a bit, i guess my assumption of it is lock at f2.8 is wrong.
    Another strange thing is that the picture capture seems to have shallower DOF then what i see from the viewfinder. Does anyone have this experience of it is just because the picture captured has been properly exposed.
    What do you mean lock at f/2.8?

When you have a f/1.4 lens, the aperture stays at f/1.4 until you shoot or press the DOF preview button. Then, it will stop down depending on what aperture setting you chose.

which shooting mode you use when your 1.4 lens switch to 2.8?
    i mean...if you use P mode, the cam may automatically set to f2.8 and appropriate shutter speed..
    Av mode should be used to fix your aparture you set.
    personally, I find it difficult to see the DOF preview through the view finder especially with large aparture..the preview does not turn darken.
    except for curious reason, I never use that DOF preview thing

Canik wrote: "Another strange thing is that the picture capture seems to have shallower DOF then what i see from the viewfinder. Does anyone have this experience of it is just because the picture captured has been properly exposed....."

This is due to the fact that your eyes has an aperture. In some conditions - low light - your aperture opens up = shallower preview. In brighter conditions, your eyes aperture becomes smaller = more depth of field. This is scene dependent.

Therefore, you will see the difference in what the actual DOF through view finder and the DOF of the actual image. Not many photographers realize this. This is based on my personal observations while doing macro photography and this is one key thing to note.

However the DOF gives a close resemblance of the final image.
    Last edited by sulhan; 7th November 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    What do you mean lock at f/2.8?

When you have a f/1.4 lens, the aperture stays at f/1.4 until you shoot or press the DOF preview button. Then, it will stop down depending on what aperture setting you chose.
    on the 50mm f1.4, if i can visualize correctly, there is lock switch which can only be lock when f2.8 aperture ring is turn to that location. this is required to use the lens for DSLR.
    It seems that f1.4 is not totally wide on the lense because when i select f1.4 and press DOF, the aperture blade actually close up slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by aungzawwin View Post
    which shooting mode you use when your 1.4 lens switch to 2.8?
    i mean...if you use P mode, the cam may automatically set to f2.8 and appropriate shutter speed..
    Av mode should be used to fix your aparture you set.
    personally, I find it difficult to see the DOF preview through the view finder especially with large aparture..the preview does not turn darken.
    except for curious reason, I never use that DOF preview thing
    I was using Av or A in nikon. when you say large aperture do you mean higher or lower f value? If it is higher f value, my viewfinder will darken. But it looks to me now that the DOF feature in the camera isn't really great.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan View Post
    Canik wrote: "Another strange thing is that the picture capture seems to have shallower DOF then what i see from the viewfinder. Does anyone have this experience of it is just because the picture captured has been properly exposed....."

This is due to the fact that your eyes has an aperture. In some conditions - low light - your aperture opens up = shallower preview. In brighter conditions, your eyes aperture becomes smaller = more depth of field. This is scene dependent.

Therefore, you will see the difference in what the actual DOF through view finder and the DOF of the actual image. Not many photographers realize this. This is based on my personal observations while doing macro photography and this is one key thing to note.

However the DOF gives a close resemblance of the final image.

thanks for the clarification.

on the 50mm f1.4, if i can visualize correctly, there is lock switch which can only be lock when f2.8 aperture ring is turn to that location. this is required to use the lens for DSLR.
    It seems that f1.4 is not totally wide on the lense because when i select f1.4 and press DOF, the aperture blade actually close up slightly.
    No, I think you are mistaken. The aperture ring locks at its smallest aperture size (which should be f/16). This is also why when you remove the lens from your camera, the aperture springs down to its smallest size. The markings for the lock happen to be above f/2.8, so that is probably what is causing confusion.

I do not understand what you are writing on the whole because of your failure to express in proper terminology.

.... But it looks to me now that the DOF feature in the camera isn't really great.
    yeah..that's why I previously expressed to the TS why we need DOF thingy important to use..since we can take a shot and check on the LCD..
    but I was once remarked by a senior bro that I was saying nonsense so I was a bit reluctant to say it again
    it seems I'm only curious.. and you are serious about this..
    I'll keep reading this thread anyway

I was using Av or A in nikon. when you say large aperture do you mean higher or lower f value? If it is higher f value, my viewfinder will darken. But it looks to me now that the DOF feature in the camera isn't really great.
    A lower F number gives you a larger aperture. oh and yes, the DOF function is great. maybe you have not found out how to use it yet. Its not about seeing how much the image will darken when pressing but checking the DOF of the shot. Yes, when one stops down the aperture, the image looks really dark, but it is still enough to check that the DOF is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan View Post
    This is due to the fact that your eyes has an aperture.
    Not really. The reason is that focusing screens in most contemporary (d)SLRs deliberately compromise on their purpose in order to boost viewfinder brightness.

For a focusing screen to work, it needs to diffuse whatever light falls on it. This also means a significant part of the diffused light will not reach the eyepiece of the viewfinder, hence the viewfinder is not super-bright.

Modern focusing screens use micorolenses or similar structures that diffuse the light only rather slightly. More light reaches the eyepiece, but ouf-of-focus images do not get effectively blurred by the focusing screen anymore.

This is a deliberate marketing-driven compromise to make the viewfinders look better than they are, while simultaneously actually degrading viewfinder performance. AF SLRs inherently suffer from dark viewfinders as a lot of light is lost due to the semitransparent primary mirror; to make AF SLRs viewfinders look less awful next to manual focus cameras, poor focusing screens are used. Old SLRs from the 70s or early 80s are VASTLY better than the current crop when it comes to manual focusing or DOF preview.

The extreme case are clear glass focusing screens - they are used e.g. in microscopy and astrophotography. The picture appears pretty much always in focus, and an entirely different method for focusing (parallax focusing) is used.

Quote Originally Posted by aungzawwin View Post
    yeah..that's why I previously expressed to the TS why we need DOF thingy important to use..since we can take a shot and check on the LCD..
    but I was once remarked by a senior bro that I was saying nonsense so I was a bit reluctant to say it again
    it seems I'm only curious.. and you are serious about this..
    I'll keep reading this thread anyway
    Eh bro, don't say already lah...it was a misunderstanding. Haha.

i give it a try jsut now ..

the viewfinder did turn darker .. then from there how do i know the DOF ?

objects somewhat nearer your focusing point would be more in focus now..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    objects somewhat nearer your focusing point would be more in focus now..
    so after i click on the DOF button .. i will snap lor

does all DSLRs definitely have one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast