Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Default Re: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    have u thought of getting a dedicated integrated amplifier instead of the DSP amp?
    I have another system which I use in my recreation room. Using a Rotel integrated RA931 Mk II. I am thinking of scrapping the idea of getting the floor speakers since it is mostly for the HT and getting a bookshelf for the room. What is your view on the Usher 520?
    Cheers

The Usher 520 makes a good stereo and HT speaker, you can go either way with it.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

never had a chance to listen to a pair of Usher 520 despite it's popularity. since it's ard 350bucks, u might want to go ahead and get a pair home to try. some other choices like Dyna audio Audience 52s used, totem model1 used, Quad 11L /12L used, etc

never had a chance to listen to a pair of Usher 520 despite it's popularity. since it's ard 350bucks, u might want to go ahead and get a pair home to try. some other choices like Dyna audio Audience 52s used, totem model1 used, Quad 11L /12L used, etc
    Thx Dreaming. I will be heading over to Adelphi to listen to the Quad and maybe the Dyna Audio. I just hope my Rotel can drive it for now until I have some excess funds for a better integrated amp.
    BTW, the Usher is now going for >$600.00.
    Cheers

Bro
    I do not think your Rotel will drive any Dynaudios well...
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Bro
    I do not think your Rotel will drive any Dynaudios well...
    Thx Pete, how about the Quad 12L?
    I am using in my recreation room which is abt 10' x 12'.

I suggest you bring your Rotel along, it is not the most pwerful amp, so I would temper my expecations of it.

Try choosing easy to drive speakers and see if it suits you - 90db and more.

It also depends on your type of music, the rock music at loud volumes will obviously need more drive than soft jazz....

I suggest you bring your Rotel along, it is not the most pwerful amp, so I would temper my expecations of it.

Try choosing easy to drive speakers and see if it suits you - 90db and more.

It also depends on your type of music, the rock music at loud volumes will obviously need more drive than soft jazz....
    Thx Pete (again..ha ha)
    At home, I enjoy music like those from Four Play, Acoustic Alchemy, Latin American music with lots of percussion and vocal stuff from jazzy artist like Diana Krull, Norah Jones....
    Only listen to hard rock when I am driving....ha ha
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by FireHouse View Post
    Thx Dreaming. I will be heading over to Adelphi to listen to the Quad and maybe the Dyna Audio. I just hope my Rotel can drive it for now until I have some excess funds for a better integrated amp.
    BTW, the Usher is now going for >$600.00.
    Cheers
    well, don't go for the exquisite finish and it shall cost a lot lesser..

well, Rotel integrated RA931 Mk II is rated at 100W. hope it's quality watt output. I won't doubt it's credibility. http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/rotelra931_e.html. sometimes, the impedence of the dynaaudio is a bit worrysome for some.

looking for a speakers that is rated at 90dB is a chore. if one can find a pair that is as close as 89dB, it shall good enough. 90dB usually are those drivers belonging to full range.

BTW, i currently driving a 50Litre speakers with Sensivity of 86db/1W/1m with a 30W integrated amplifier. i can turn it to 12 o'clock and i believe the amp still has reserve for more!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s.../dynaudio-52se

The 1800 is old dude...
    Yah, I know this is an older model but I like it better than the 1900.

The improvements are not significant.
    Last edited by photobum; 10th December 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Bro are you sure this amp is rated at 100W per channel?
    I think it is 30W...

Sure it can make noise with the Dynaudio, but in louder and dynamic passages you will know

I drove my Audience 50 with a 130w per channel Reference Series Marantz, and it still shut down...
    well, Rotel integrated RA931 Mk II is rated at 100W. hope it's quality watt output. I won't doubt it's credibility. http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/rotelra931_e.html. sometimes, the impedence of the dynaaudio is a bit worrysome for some.

looking for a speakers that is rated at 90dB is a chore. if one can find a pair that is as close as 89dB, it shall good enough. 90dB usually are those drivers belonging to full range.

BTW, i currently driving a 50Litre speakers with Sensivity of 86db/1W/1m with a 30W integrated amplifier. i can turn it to 12 o'clock and i believe the amp still has reserve for more!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s.../dynaudio-52se

Sure it can make noise with the Dynaudio, but in louder and dynamic passages you will know
    I agree....

Most Dynaudio speakers are not easy to drive.
    Last edited by photobum; 10th December 2008 at 12:36 AM.

Thx Dreaming, Petetherock n Photobum.
    I will probably head over to KEC to listen to the Quad 12L with the Cyrus 6vs2 later today. Understand there is Quad 12L and Quad 12/2. Former is below 1k and later is more than 1k. The person at KEC told me the later is just a newer version and hardly any difference. I will have to consider the former as it is within my budget.
    The Dyna is above my limited budget.
    Anyway, will see how it goes. I have 2k to spread over an integrated amp and a pair of speakers.
    Cheers

Cheers
    I am on leave for a couple of days, so if you are in the YCK area and want to try out some hi fi, pm me.

I listened to the Quad 12l2 this noon and I was impressed with it. Thus took the plunged and lugged them home. Driving it with my Rotel (2 x 35 "watter"). I am amazed that I am getting very pleasing results. Bass and the mids are great. Top although abit thin but I am ok with the jazzy music I play. Vocals sounds good (playing Norah Jones). For me, it sounded clean and still playing since 7pm.
    Next on my wish list is to upgrade my Int Amp.
    Cheers

Try the Quads with something with some 'balls' - Cyrus, Marantz etc that has at least 80W and doubles that into 4 ohms.

Run them in for at least a few days, the top end may warm up.

Try the Quads with something with some 'balls' - Cyrus, Marantz etc that has at least 80W and doubles that into 4 ohms.

Run them in for at least a few days, the top end may warm up.
    Thx Pete.
    With whatever little left from my initial budget, I am considering the Marantz PM7001 KI....hopefully this will have enough"balls" to drive it....

Thx Pete.
    With whatever little left from my initial budget, I am considering the Marantz PM7001 KI....hopefully this will have enough"balls" to drive it....
    Try Exposure amps. It is a high current amp with lots of "balls". However, not everybody loves it as it 'pop' when switch off.

I am not too keen on the Marantz 7001 KI. I find the sound a little too colored for my taste. Sound imaging is just average. My preference goes to Roksan Caspian M Series-1.
    Last edited by photobum; 11th December 2008 at 07:21 AM.

Thx Pete.
    Try Exposure amps. It is a high current amp with lots of "balls". However, be warned that not everybody loves such amps as they give the speakers a 'pop' sound when switching it off.

To illustrate how much 'balls' Exposure amp has, Art Dudley of Stereophile used an Exposure 3010S integrated amp to drive a pair of Quad ESL speakers and they still sounded good. Another integrated amp which can do this is Naim NAIT.

Frankly, I am not too keen on the Marantz. My preference goes to Roksan Caspian M Series-1.
    Last edited by photobum; 11th December 2008 at 07:42 AM.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast