Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Default Re: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    would like to, but my tiny hall (HBD 3-room) got serious space contrains. future subwoofer will have to fit in that space where the current Pioneer (slim tower type) sits.
    I live in a 4-room HDB flat in AMK, and I am encountering the same problem as yours. I cannot fire my speakers length-wise and have to do it width-wise. The soundstage does seem bigger this way, so I am sticking to it.

However, when I add-in a subwoofer, it is another story. I tried to borrow a few good subwoofers from my audiophile 'kakis' to test. They range from Celestion's own System 6000 to Hsu Research to Genesis to Velodyne. All of them did not sound good in my living room. They sounded either too boomy or too muddy. That's why, I am reluctant to buy a subwoofer.
    Last edited by photobum; 22nd October 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Guys, you need Room Treatment if you want tight bass and the stuff that plunges and rumbles.

I have regular demo sessions at my place.

Since you are in AMK, I have a demo this coming noon on Monday, Deepavali in the YCK area, pm me if you want to have a listen

Cheers
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Since you are in AMK, I have a demo this coming noon on Monday, Deepavali in the YCK area, pm me if you want to have a listen
    Thanks for the offer, but I am heading to Malacca with my family this weekend and public holiday. So another time lah.

Yes.... I understand the importance of proper room treatment, but unfortunately my wife and mother don't. That's why I use the Harmonix RTA Room Tuning Devices instead. They are small and unnoticeable. But a subwoofer is too overwhelming even with carpeted floors and thick curtains.
    Last edited by photobum; 22nd October 2008 at 06:53 PM.

wah, I heard of WAF but seldom I heard of MAF.
    Yeah, I heard of hifi buyers needing wife's approval on the color
    of the speakers.

This hobby is sometimes very compromising ...

WAF = wife acceptance factor
    MAF = mother acceptance factor

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Yes.... I understand the importance of proper room treatment,
    but unfortunately my wife and mother don't. That's why I use the Harmonix
    RTA Room Tuning Devices instead. They are small and unnoticeable.
    But a subwoofer is too overwhelming even with carpeted floors and
    thick curtains.
    [ Flickr ]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlcs View Post
    wah, I heard of WAF but seldom I heard of MAF.
    Yeah, I heard of hifi buyers needing wife's approval on the color
    of the speakers.

This hobby is sometimes very compromising ...

WAF = wife acceptance factor
    MAF = mother acceptance factor
    It is a very compromising hobby indeed.

My 69 year-old mother lives under-one-roof with my family. Sometimes, she has 'important' guests coming over to my house, and she does not want the living room to look like Michelangelo's workshop or a scene from Project Runway. So I have to abide to her request.
    Last edited by photobum; 22nd October 2008 at 07:21 PM.

I live in a 4-room HDB flat in AMK, and I am encountering the same problem as yours. I cannot fire my speakers length-wise and have to do it width-wise. The soundstage does seem bigger this way, so I am sticking to it.

However, when I add-in a subwoofer, it is another story. I tried to borrow a few good subwoofers from my audiophile 'kakis' to test. They range from Celestion's own System 6000 to Hsu Research to Genesis to Velodyne. All of them did not sound good in my living room. They sounded either too boomy or too muddy. That's why, I am reluctant to buy a subwoofer.
    i have my system arranged length wise. if not TV too near. sound stage is fine, but i not able to test that many different positionings.

i tot the Velodynes were cute little performers. could u eleborate the bad in ur home settings. i do not have any hifi kakis to borrow any subwoofer to play play...

if u dun listen to music too loud (individually defined), maybe the DIY isolation platform could improve the sound of the subwoofer as it did mine.

i have my system arranged length wise. if not TV too near. sound stage is fine, but i not able to test that many different positionings.

i tot the Velodynes were cute little performers. could u eleborate the bad in ur home settings. i do not have any hifi kakis to borrow any subwoofer to play play...

if u dun listen to music too loud (individually defined), maybe the DIY isolation platform could improve the sound of the subwoofer as it did mine.
    There are not many places I can position my subwoofer in my living room. The length of my living room is barely 20ft and the width is about 10ft. I have to put the subwoofer between my Spendors and Celestions. Any further away will be impossible (there is a TV cabinet, a huge CD/DVD cabinet (with more than 500 CDs/DVDs inside), a standing lamp and an air purifier/ioniser, etc. I can't position the subwoofer away from the wall either. My wife will start to grumble about not having enough walking space.

The Velodyne (I can't remember the model name) I borrowed wasn't cute at all. It was mammoth! The subwoofer has a 15" driver firing forward and weights more than 25kg. I looks like a very large wooden foot stool from far.

An isolation platform may help but probably not much I think. An sound engineer friend of mine ever told me that the acoustic in my living room was bad to begin with. It is no point spending more money on room treatment and isolation.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd October 2008 at 06:15 PM.

We need pictures... this is clubsnap....
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Bro
    You may wish to consider a small yet powerful subwoofer
    Eg my Velodyne goes down to 28Hz, 1000W output and fits under my seat to give a good aural and tactile experience.
    Placement is also less intrusive and has decent WAF.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=53735.0

There are not many places I can position my subwoofer in my living room. The length of my living room is barely 20ft and the width is about 10ft. I have to put the subwoofer bewteen my Spendors and Celestions. Any further away will be impossible (there is a TV cabinet, a huge CD/DVD cabinet (with more than 500 CDs/DVDs inside), a standing lamp and an air purifier/ioniser, etc. I can't position the subwoofer away from the wall either. My wife will start to grumble about not having enough space to walk.

The Velodyne (I can't remember the model name) I borrowed wasn't cute at all. It was mammoth! The subwoofer has a 15" driver firing forward and weights more than 10kg. I looks like a very large wooden foot stool from far.

An isolation platform may help but probably not much I think. An sound engineer friend of mine ever told me that the acoustic in my living room was bad to begin with. It is no point spending more money on room treatment and isolation.

There are not many places I can position my subwoofer in my living room. The length of my living room is barely 20ft and the width is about 10ft. I have to put the subwoofer bewteen my Spendors and Celestions. Any further away will be impossible (there is a TV cabinet, a huge CD/DVD cabinet (with more than 500 CDs/DVDs inside), a standing lamp and an air purifier/ioniser, etc. I can't position the subwoofer away from the wall either. My wife will start to grumble about not having enough space to walk.

The Velodyne (I can't remember the model name) I borrowed wasn't cute at all. It was mammoth! The subwoofer has a 15" driver firing forward and weights more than 10kg. I looks like a very large wooden foot stool from far.

my hall oni 10" wide, 21" long. how come about same size as your 4-room? but my home got less things. yah, i guess i was refering to another model sORelee, the Mini-Vee.

i am eyeing 1 that consumes less power, say 300watt? dun need too powerful. for now no $$, can see & can drool oni.

an isolation platfrom does a good job at lower volumes. too loud (more so for subwoofer) & cabinet vibrations will render most platforms ineffective. but most times i dun crank volume that high, therefore the improve is there.

(my Pioneer subwoofer is behind the TV cabinet, bottom left side. hidden from view. kenna cornered!)
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 23rd October 2008 at 03:55 PM.

My turn now....

Besides being a kitchen samurai (read my kitchen samurai thread here), I am also an avid audiophile since 1978. My setup is simple, but this is the sound I like most.

Primary system:
    Pioneer Inverted Stable Platter CD Transport + Theta Gen 3 DAC + AT&T fiber optics
    Thorens TD 160 MkII
    Audiolab 8000A + 8000P
    Straightwire Maestro RCA interconnect cables
    XLO Signature phono cable
    Music Meters speaker cables
    Monster Cable M1 speaker cables
    Kimble Kable "16TC" (double run of 8TC) speaker cables
    Spendor S100
    Celestion SL600

Secondary system:

Marantz CD63 KI
    Naim Audio NAIT 3
    Cardas Golden Cross interconnect cables
    Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables
    Spica TC-50

Other stuff:

XLO power cords
    TICE power blocks
    Grado SR125 and AKG 240 Studio
    Headroom amps
    Freecom MusicPal Internet Radio
    Harmonix RTA Room Tuning Devices

More other stuff, but old or needs repair:
    Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck
    Luxman L-80v
    Technics RS-858US 8-track Stereo Recorder Player
    Sony WM-D6C Pro Walkman
    Sony MZ-R2 MD Walkman
    Sony MDS-JE780 MD deck
    Your main setup is not a child's play and it's not a simple setup.

Bro, you are not just a knife collector but also a hi-fi freak!

I use to own a Nakamichi RX-505......but the Dragon is a legend on it's own!

my hall oni 10" wide, 21" long. how come about same size as your 4-room?
    Mine is a 4 NG, 93 square metres corner unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Your main setup is not a child's play and it's not a simple setup.
    If you study my list carefully, half of it are accessories such as cables, power cords and portable audio.

When I was a hi-fi 'siao' many years ago, I actually spent most of my money on experimenting with speaker and interconnect cables; which was stupid I know. Due to various constrains of my living space, my focus was on items that are small and irrelevant.

In the end, I traded in several of my 'high-end' cables for decent equipment like a pair of Spica speakers, a Marantz CD player and a LP player. All are bought used.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd October 2008 at 06:52 PM.

If you study my list carefully, half of it are accessories such as cables, power cords and portable audio.

When I was a hi-fi 'siao' many years ago, I actually spent most of my money on experimenting with speaker and interconnect cables; which was stupid I know. Due to various constrains of my living space, my focus was on items that are small and irrelevant.

In the end, I traded in several of my 'high-end' cables for decent equipment like a pair of Spica speakers, a Marantz CD player and a LP player. All are bought used. The only item that was bought new is the Audiolab 8000A.
    how does my simple set-up compare? i dun even have space for dedicated stands, a pity though.

true be told, i leaft out my speaker cables on my list. should my DIY isolation platform be included as well?

how does my simple set-up compare? i dun even have space for dedicated stands, a pity though.

true be told, i leaft out my speaker cables on my list. should my DIY isolation platform be included as well?
    Your system looks very decent and practical.

I have heard the Quad 11L in the past and love it. The 11L’s ability to render a wide and deep soundstage is amazing. Similar to my Celestion SL600 the vocals are stunning and uncolored. Closing my eyes and it is as if they are right there singing in front of me. Chamber and Jazz music sound very good on the 11L too. As to tonal balance, the 11L possess a very smooth mid-range, but can be a tiny bit dry on the extreme top end, depending upon on the setup. I would characterize them as being more neutral than warm. At the same time, they are not analytical, sterile, or cold. They are also amazingly transparent.
    Last edited by photobum; 23rd October 2008 at 07:24 PM.

When it comes to testing hi-fi systems or during auditioning, many of us are armed with reference CD/DVD titles that we use frequently. Let us jot down a list of our most preferred reference CD/DVD titles.

I will start the ball rolling.

Photobum:

• Cai Qin - Ji Yu (XRCD version, Japanese pressing)
    • Diana Krall -The Look of Love (U.S. pressing)
    • Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart (U.S. pressing)
    • Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (U.S. pressing)
    • Isao Suzuki Trio/Quartet - Blow Up (XRCD version, Japanese pressing)
    • Jazz at the Pawnshop (30th Anniversary Edition, EU pressing)
    • Ricky Lee Jones - Ricky Lee Jones (U.S. pressing)
    • Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat (20th Anniversary Edition, U.S. pressing)
    Last edited by photobum; 24th October 2008 at 01:17 PM.

Nice list...
    But IMHO, your system should sound good with ALL the music you like to listen to.
    Too many people only play music on their systems which are 'audiophile' and avoid pop, or other regular music.

I play Emil Chau, Enigma, Mozart and many other music
    Cheers

When it comes to testing hi-fi systems or during auditioning, many of us are armed with reference CD/DVD titles that we use frequently. Let us jot down a list of our most preferred reference CD/DVD titles.

I will start the ball rolling.

Photobum:

• Cai Qin - Ji Yu (XRCD version, Japanese pressing)
    • Diana Krall -The Look of Love (U.S. pressing)
    • Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart (U.S. pressing)
    • Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (U.S. pressing)
    • Isao Suzuki Trio/Quartet - Blow Up (XRCD version, Japanese pressing)
    • Jazz at the Pawnshop (30th Anniversary Edition, EU pressing)
    • Ricky Lee Jones - Ricky Lee Jones (U.S. pressing)
    • Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat (20th Anniversary Edition, U.S. pressing)

Smile Re: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Mary Black?

Default Re: Club Snap Audiophiles thread

Quote Originally Posted by gp1 View Post
    Here is mine.

very nice apogees duettas

which amp're you using to drive these power-sucking speakers?
    chezburgr i can haz?

My turn now....

Besides being a kitchen samurai (read my kitchen samurai thread here), I am also an avid audiophile since 1978. My setup is simple, but this is the sound I like most.

Primary system:
    Pioneer Inverted Stable Platter CD Transport + Theta Gen 3 DAC + AT&T fiber optics
    Thorens TD 160 MkII
    Audiolab 8000A + 8000P
    Straightwire Maestro RCA interconnect cables
    XLO Signature phono cable
    Music Meters speaker cables
    Monster Cable M1 speaker cables
    Kimble Kable "16TC" (double run of 8TC) speaker cables
    Spendor S100
    Celestion SL600

Secondary system:

Marantz CD63 KI
    Naim Audio NAIT 3
    Cardas Golden Cross interconnect cables
    Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables
    Spica TC-50

Other stuff:

XLO power cords
    TICE power blocks
    Grado SR125 and AKG 240 Studio
    Headroom amps
    Freecom MusicPal Internet Radio
    Harmonix RTA Room Tuning Devices

More other stuff, but old or needs repair:
    Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck
    Luxman L-80v
    Technics RS-858US 8-track Stereo Recorder Player
    Sony WM-D6C Pro Walkman
    Sony MZ-R2 MD Walkman
    Sony MDS-JE780 MD deck
    yumyum.. spica tc50 and celestion sl600.. you've some good bookshelves there..
    i used to have a pair of spica tc50s.. the imaging's really good if you place them correctly, and have enough space for them to shine..
    chezburgr i can haz?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast