Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Default Re: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Try Exposure amps. It is a high current amp with lots of "balls". However, be warned that not everybody loves such amps as they give the speakers a 'pop' sound when switching it off.

To illustrate how much 'balls' Exposure amp has, Art Dudley of Stereophile used an Exposure 3010S integrated amp to drive a pair of Quad ESL speakers and they still sounded good. Another integrated amp which can do this is Naim NAIT.

Frankly, I am not too keen on the Marantz. My preference goes to Roksan Caspian M Series-1.
    Thx Photobum
    All the Int Amp you suggested is really out of my league. And I guess 1k has very limited mileage. I think the Roksan is >2k at least. Thx....wow, you are into photography, knives, hi fi....you da man.

Quote Originally Posted by FireHouse View Post
    All the Int Amp you suggested is really out of my league.
    Hehehe.... That explains why my bank statement is always blinking the 'low' warning light.

By the way, I found out yesterday that Marantz PM7001 KI was been replaced by PM8003.

Another suggestion I have got for you is the Pioneer A6. It is slightly more expensive compared to some UK brands, but the sound is one of the cleanest, most open and musically transparent integrated amp I have heard so far. One of its users in the What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Forum even drove a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 with great success.

By the way, most Pioneer integrated amps I know is like The Incredible Hulk in disguise. One of my audiophile kakis used to drive a pair of Celestion SL600 with a Pioneer A400 amp. It sounded pretty good until he sold it and bought a set of pre/power Quad amps (of course the Quad sounded more refined, warm and textured).
    Last edited by photobum; 12th December 2008 at 08:00 AM.

Hehehe.... That explains why my bank statement is always blinking the 'low' warning light.

By the way, I found out yesterday that Marantz PM7001 KI was been replaced by PM8003.
    Yes, the sales person at Adelphi told me the same thing. I finally settled for the PM8003 which was just slightly above $700. I am enjoying my music more now as compared to my previous system which was rather "boxy and flat".
    Thanks again.

Wanna buy my SA 7001 KIS SACD player?
    10/10 condition for $1050
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Try Exposure amps. It is a high current amp with lots of "balls". However, be warned that not everybody loves such amps as they give the speakers a 'pop' sound when switching it off.

To illustrate how much 'balls' Exposure amp has, Art Dudley of Stereophile used an Exposure 3010S integrated amp to drive a pair of Quad ESL speakers and they still sounded good. Another integrated amp which can do this is Naim NAIT.

Frankly, I am not too keen on the Marantz. My preference goes to Roksan Caspian M Series-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireHouse View Post
    Yes, the sales person at Adelphi told me the same thing. I finally settled for the PM8003 which was just slightly above $700. I am enjoying my music more now as compared to my previous system which was rather "boxy and flat".
    Thanks again.

the old exposure 2010 integrated amp is a best-for-value amp. old british made amplifier will fire up your speakers better than a japanese made amp. too add, not keen on marantz too.

Firehouse, nice to hear that u enjoy your combo. that's the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    too add, not keen on marantz too.
    Yes, I find most Marantz amps and CD players sound colored. I didn't realised this until one day I compared the old Marantz CD17 KI with a Pioneer Elite CD player.

To illustrate what I meant by colored sound, it is like Tsai Chin just recovered from flu and still has a slightly blocked nose.
    Last edited by photobum; 13th December 2008 at 08:58 AM.

Yes, I find most Marantz amps and CD players sound colored. I didn't realised this until one day I compared the old Marantz CD17 KI with a Pioneer Elite CD player.

To illustrate what I meant by colored sound, it is like Tsai Chin just recovered from flu and still has a slightly blocked nose.
    ha ha....not so bad lah..
    Was listening to Renee Olstead, Diana Krall, James Taylor last nite....no indication of "nasal congestion"...
    Got to make do with the present system until the "blinking low light" goes off....

fallennge
    Guests

Wink Re: ClubSNAP Audiophiles thread

Hi folks, I'm using Marantz PM 7000KI with SA 7000 cd player. However, on my speaker I dun feel much bass. Can recommend a gd pair of speakers that will go well with it ? Preferrably those with bigger woofer . Any type of music, esp those that can withstand very drum beats ?? Budget < $2000 ??
    Last edited by fallennge; 14th December 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Budget, type of music.... more info given, more info replied....
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by fallennge View Post
    Hi folks, I'm using Marantz PM 7000KI with SA 7000 cd player. However, on my speaker I dun feel much bass. Can recommend a gd pair of speakers that will go well with it ? Preferrably those with bigger woofer . Any type of music, esp those that can withstand very drum beats ?? Budget < $2000 ??
    BTW, what speakers r using right now? book shelf or floorstander? suppose 8" should be enough. only floorstander will satisfy u in this case.

Neat motive 2
    http://www.neat.co.uk/p_pages/motivetwo.php

Totem Arro,
    http://www.totemacoustic.com/products/columns/arro/

Quad 21L

Spendor S5e
    http://www.spendoraudio.com/

Concerto Domus
    http://www.sonusfaber.com/

Bach
    http://www.viennaacoustics.at/products/bach/bach.php

above are models that are considered w.r.t. your music genre, budget
    Last edited by dreaming; 14th December 2008 at 04:18 PM.

i'll like to know the opinions of folks here on the need to replace interconnects after a few years.

is there a lifespan for it? for that matter, any other cable?

fallennge
    Guests

Hi Peter,

currently I'm using a pair of very old Speaker 64 x 34 cm putting on the floor. It is 3 way which operates at 8 ohms 70 watts with a 10" woofer.
    I was previously use Onkyo A-9210 (8 ohms 60w if i remember correctly) which plays any kind of music for me, Kitaro, Drums...Trance and many more. After changing to PM 7001 SI, the speaker lacks bass. Even connecting a earphone, A-9210 is able to deliver more bass.

Would it be possible to recommend me something that has a 3 way speaker with 10" or larger woofer < $2000 ??

Thanks

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i'll like to know the opinions of folks here on the need to replace interconnects after a few years.

eh dun need i guess if u maintain nicely.. just clean the contacts maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post

Not necessary lah...

I am using a pair of more than 15 years old Monster Cable interconnects for my tuner. It still sounded very much the same. By the way, part of the cable is badly oxidized, but I don't think this affects its performance.

Tip: use Philips contact cleaner to remove dirt and stain around the contact area.
    Last edited by photobum; 15th December 2008 at 07:01 AM.

I was previously use Onkyo A-9210 (8 ohms 60w if i remember correctly) which plays any kind of music for me, Kitaro, Drums...Trance and many more. After changing to PM 7001 SI, the speaker lacks bass. Even connecting a earphone, A-9210 is able to deliver more bass.
    I believe your Marantz amp delivers a tighter, more defined bass response than the Onkyo. I have a set of Onkyo amp from the late 80's, and the sound is BOOOOOMMMMMY, colored and muddy. This gives you the impression that the Onkyo has better bass (and more powerful).
    Last edited by photobum; 15th December 2008 at 07:53 AM.

Its not the size of the woofer, you can listen to the RS 6 or RS 8, both are quite bassy.

EDIT:

BTW, get off your butt and go AUDITION!
    All talk and no action will not help improve the bass... listen to any of the suggestions, bring your new amp along, and try them with some music you are familar with. One man's meat (speaker) is another man's poison.
    Last edited by petetherock; 15th December 2008 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Its not the size of the woofer
    Agree..... My current main speakers have 6.5" woofers, and I find the bass more than sufficient (if when needed) for any genre of music.
    Last edited by photobum; 15th December 2008 at 08:01 AM.

my modded CD63 sound ok to me ....

Hi Peter,

currently I'm using a pair of very old Speaker 64 x 34 cm putting on the floor. It is 3 way which operates at 8 ohms 70 watts with a 10" woofer.

Would it be possible to recommend me something that has a 3 way speaker with 10" or larger woofer < $2000 ??

Thanks
    The sensitivity if the driver i believe do play a part too...play with your speaker position first lah( this method dun need money one)...hehe...bring near to the wall , toe in/out ...
    Last edited by strobby; 15th December 2008 at 11:49 AM.

fallennge
    Guests

Hi Peter,
    I'm sorry but where is "audition".

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast