Thread: Tablet selection

Default Tablet selection

Having read through the various threads here for selecting a tablet, (which are all outdated without the latest models), I feel compelled to seek some advice on selecting a suitable model.

I will use it for the purposes of (in decreasing order of priority)
    1. Taking notes, drawing diagrams and chemical formulas in lecture. I don't print notes and using mouse is impossible for this. On my laptop of course.
    2. Photoediting.
    3. Replace mouse for laptop.

I have decided to buy Wacom and the options are as follows:

1. Brand new Intuos 3 6 x 8
    2. 2nd hand intuos 3.
    3. Bamboo MTE-450K the cheap 127 dollar one with no functions at all.
    4. Medium size bamboo fun.

I am on a budget, which means getting the most bang for buck but am ok with 400.

I'm not sure of the true differences (and not marketed differences) between these, is pressure sensitivity very important? Tilt sensitivity as well? Different pen tips? Wireless bluetooth connection?
    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by tjhan; 20th October 2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

Default Re: Tablet selection

Quote Originally Posted by tjhan View Post
    Having read through the various threads here for selecting a tablet, (which are all outdated without the latest models), I feel compelled to seek some advice on selecting a suitable model.

I will use it for the purposes of (in decreasing order of priority)
    1. Taking notes, drawing diagrams and chemical formulas in lecture. I don't print notes and using mouse is impossible for this. On my laptop of course.
    2. Photoediting.
    3. Replace mouse for laptop.

I have decided to buy Wacom and the options are as follows:

1. Brand new Intuos 3 6 x 8
    2. 2nd hand intuos 3.
    3. Bamboo MTE-450K the cheap 127 dollar one with no functions at all.
    4. Medium size bamboo fun.

I am on a budget, which means getting the most bang for buck but am ok with 400.

I'm not sure of the true differences (and not marketed differences) between these, is pressure sensitivity very important? Tilt sensitivity as well? Different pen tips? Wireless bluetooth connection?
    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    for purposes,

1) Tablet PC would be better... there is a equation writer available... find it quite cool...

2) fotoediting wise, depends on your level, best to get intuos, but a bamboo or graphire is good enuff...

pressure sensitivity for intuos is 1024, for graphire and bamboo is 512. tilt will be more for artist doing drawing. there is other pens option for intuos like airbrush etc... wacom have its patented batteryless pens, the bluetooth is for the wireless tablet, not the pen.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Default Re: Tablet selection

Thanks, but tablet PC is out of the equation. Many of my friends have it and frankly, it seems to suck. I'm going ahead with the bamboo fun for the low cost ...
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com