Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: third party vs main party (canon, nikon)

Default Re: third party vs main party (canon, nikon)

Quote Originally Posted by camerax View Post
    From what i read so far, sigma actually have the most problem. esp if your camera was canon.
    you almost bound to have compatibility issue. tamron has the least issue esp if your camera was nikon.
    really ?
    Last edited by attap seed; 21st October 2008 at 11:22 PM.

From what i read so far, sigma actually have the most problem. esp if your camera was canon.
    you almost bound to have compatibility issue. tamron has the least issue esp if your camera was nikon.
    From what I have heard and seen the compatability issues with third party lenses only occurs mainly with their old lenses matched to new DSLR bodies. Even then there are many people using third party lenses so I don't think this is a widespread problem as you have put it.

Wow what kind of wild new misconception are you going to pull out next?

TS has gone from "Why do people want to pay more for First Party Lenses instead of using 3rd Party Lenses" in his first post to Sigma lenses have almost 100% compatability issues with Canon and Tamron is almost 100% compatible with Nikon....

So not sure where this thread is headed to????

LOL, you guys are such a fan huh. hell, just because i stated my opinion about third party value, everybody was worked up.

look, there is nobody denying the fact that main party is BETTER than third parrty,

but what i am trying to find out actually is that "is it worth it though"??

sure it is better, but is it worth it? since you are paying so much more.

there is nothing wrong with me to state my opinion. if it was wrong, PROVE ME WRONG ! dont talk **** like what some people here did.

matter fact, from this discussion, I JUST PICKED UP ONE STRONG REASON TO go for first party. and thats COMPATIBILITY ISSUE. but i still not sure about the pics quality.

personally i dun think its wrong for you to post what you feel. personally i would prefer main party lens to 3rd party ones due to the colour reproduction ....lol my personal preference...
    to be fair.....i think its the way you put it that put others off....i think there's better ways to put yr opinion across rite?
    lastly guys....y dun we just move on....think this thread is getting out of hand.....

cheers!!!!

hi guys, i am very interested to know.

For beginner / amateur or even serious photographer (someone who is NOT PRO basically), do you think its wise to go for nikon/canon lens??

i am talking about regular people (with standard economy power).

i really think its kind of lame actually to go for nikon or canon lens while you can get third party lens like sigma or tamron for MUCH LESS price.

performance wise: lot of reviews even mention that sometimes, third party lens can outperform nikon or canon. even if they couldnt, their performance is below by just a bit.

take for example : macro tamron 90 vs nikon 105VR.

tammy beat nikon except on build quality. and the price is MUCH CHEAPER. i cant see any reason why get nikon here? VR is nice, but not worth 600 sing dollars imo.

tamron 17-50 2.8 vs nikon 17-55 2.8

again, tamron perform close to nikon and the price differ much. nikon can go up to 1100 USbucks AND tammy only priced around 400 dollars.

seriously, i dont know why people want to throw so much money for main party lens.

from my observation, the reasons are
    1) lil bit of faster focusing
    2) build quality
    3) prestige

but i have to say, the value of main party sucks. i think if you want to get the best bang for the bucks, go for third party,

nikon or canon is for rich people who get money to blow.

what you guys think?? i wanna know what you think
    You wanna know what I think? You sure you wanna know?

I think you shoot your mouth away faster than you can think. You have absolutely no freakin' idea what you are blabbering about and you do sound like a 3rd party sales. If it makes you feel better, take a look at the prices Zeiss lenses. By your logic, they will make any Nikkors worth more than their weight in gold.

Then you should stop reading whanever you are reading. Those things will only throw you deeper into the bottomless pit of ignorance and confusion. That's two things you really have to shake off immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    I call that arrogance.

I also really welcome differences-- like, mind telling us why you have to stick with your aggressive attitude?

Anyway, with regards to the topic: It's already been said- you get what you pay for. If you have X amount of money, use it for a tamron. If you have X+S$1k, use it for a Canon / Nikon for the advantages they offer.
    Actually, ignorance would be a more appropriate word to use in this instance.

i got alot of money to blow.

thats why my only lense is an EF 35 F2.

Do read more in this forum, i believe you should acquaint yourself with the various photography techniques, terms and stop reading so much reviews.

Ken rockwell is a goldmine of info if you know how to sift the info.

i would also suggest reviewing your posts in future, and please do not generalize, some people might be happy with the 80% of what a 3rd party can do, but some cant live with it. its personal preference and therefore it cannot be measured.

Hey, lay off the arrogant attitude. You won't be taken very nicely here with these sorts of remarks.

Lets compare-

#1)
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (S$~550+) vs Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8IS (S$~1300+)
    Sharpness: Similar
    Contrast: Canon wins
    AF Speed: Canon wins
    AF accuracy: Canon wins when it's low-contrast (for some reason)
    AF noise: Canon wins
    Built: Canon wins
    IS: Canon has
    Price: Tamron wins

So, Canon wins 6 out of 8 points, with Tamron winning 1 out of 8, and 1 draw.
    Factors that affect the image itself: Sharpness, Contrast, AF Speed/Accuracy and IS. Canon wins 4 out of 5.
    I have shot relatively extensively with a canon EFS 17-55 (maybe 30k photos? Main lens now) and a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 (maybe 150k photos) and Tamron (about 5k photos).

I TOTALLY disagree with canon AF accuracy. The 17-55 f2.8 compares poorly to all other 3rd party I've used. At low contrast, the other lenses perform much better.

Build wise... They're actually equal.
    AF speed... Personally I don't find USM much faster than the other lenses, perhaps marginally faster in some cases.
    Contrast mah... I find them the same.

Seriously I'll say that the Canon is only better because it has quieter focusing, and IS.

The extra $$ I paid for the canon lens, is because I think that the IS is very useful for me. YMMV.

So uh.. Case closed? Lol.

So, in summary:

Why original brand compared to 3rd party?
    - Image quality, AF and built
    - Assurance that it will work
    - Much lower depreciation rate: General trend is that the Canon 70-200 f/2.8IS depreciates about 5-10% for every cosmetic grade lowering (CS guidelines), while lenses like the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 will depreciate about twice that rate, about 10-20%, especially since Sigma has their peeling issue.
    All your arguments are very biased and usually more opinion based than factually grounded.

FYI, Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS used to sell almost at $3.2k, now due to Canon repricing their gear, new is only $2600.
    If you ask me, that's already a 20% loss without counting age of lens.

Look at the 24-105 F4L, if I don't remember wrongly thanks to Canon, earlier adopters lost 20% of the value in just a few months.

facepalm

Dude! I've read your previous posts and it would be wise if you didn't generalise so much...

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    FYI, Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS used to sell almost at $3.2k, now due to Canon repricing their gear, new is only $2600.
    If you ask me, that's already a 20% loss without counting age of lens.
    The value of the SG dollar has upped from 2005 till now, thus bringing down the SG price so that it fits the global pricing.

I don't appreciate the fact that you just made a sweeping statement about my arguments though-- I clearly wasn't referring to any price drops of sorts. I was talking about the depreciation rate due to usage or due to it being '2nd hand'. If you look at the trends in the CS and POTN BnS forums, what I said holds true.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    facepalm

Dude! I've read your previous posts and it would be wise if you didn't generalise so much...
    Someone's friend was telling me he heard from someone else that anyone with the screenname "camerax" is an ignorant fool who talks out of his ass instead of his mouth. Maybe they are the same orifice for him. But then again, I also like to generalise and come out with far fetched opinions.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    Someone's friend was telling me he heard from someone else that anyone with the screenname "camerax" is an ignorant fool who talks out of his ass instead of his mouth. Maybe they are the same orifice for him. But then again, I also like to generalise and come out with far fetched opinions.

Do I know know that particular friend?
    Last edited by Daedalus Trent; 22nd October 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Do I know know that particular friend?
    Depends. Why don't you go ask your friend's brother's second cousin twice removed on his mother's side? Maybe he/she would know.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Depends. Why don't you go ask your friend's brother's second cousin twice removed on his mother's side? Maybe he/she would know.
    You lost me at 'second cousin'.

Do I even have one?

Do I even have one?
    I read somewhere that people with the last name Trent definitely have one. Can't remember where, but I read somewhere before. Definitely has to be true.

I read somewhere that people with the last name Trent definitely have one. Can't remember where, but I read somewhere before. Definitely has to be true.
    ahh..then i'm obliged to believe you since you're so sure

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast