Thread: Macro photography

Default Macro photography

hi guys,

i'm thinking of building a macro system around my X-700. Any suggestions? Looking for something with at least 1:1 and higher magnification.

TIA
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

X-700? Though you using a Nikon?

If it's nikon then I'll recommend the AF 105mm f/2.8.

yeah, the nikon is the cam i use mainly. The 105 micro is really nice, but too mucho dinero for me (the 200 is even more ex ). So was thinking of building a system around an older cam, might be cheaper.

i also have a collection of other makes. Thought i'd be a good project to build a specific macro outfit for the X-700. got it from cash converters for $90 together with an original MD 35-70 zoom (with a macro at 70mm). now is that a bargain or what?
    The toys

Not sure if it is a bargain. Try the camera and lens out and see the quality of the pics. If good then would be a reasonable buy. If not then it had been a waste of your buy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin
    Not sure if it is a bargain. Try the camera and lens out and see the quality of the pics. If good then would be a reasonable buy. If not then it had been a waste of your buy.
    i did, and here are some results:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19486165

http://www.pbase.com/image/19486030

http://www.pbase.com/image/18698444

http://www.pbase.com/image/18698233

guess i'm just partial to old junk.
    The toys

Three cheap ways:

Filters: +1, +2, +3 closeup filters like 250D or 500D Canon's or Hoya's work fine. Easiest to apply. Cheapest. Full TTL. Quality questionable.

Extension tubes: Closer magnification. Full TTL but less light. Quality better. Easy to attach.

Reversal ring: This ring screws on to your filter/lens and mounts onto the body. No auto aperture, only manual. Open up to meter and focus, stop down to shoot. No TTL. Quality best of the three method. Note: last len element now points towards the subject and no hood to control flare.

Expensive way:

Macro bellows: Manual/Auto bellows for aperture control. Most AF don't work except Novoflex's (correct spelling??).

True Macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere
    Three cheap ways:

Filters: +1, +2, +3 closeup filters like 250D or 500D Canon's or Hoya's work fine. Easiest to apply. Cheapest. Full TTL. Quality questionable.

Extension tubes: Closer magnification. Full TTL but less light. Quality better. Easy to attach.

Reversal ring: This ring screws on to your filter/lens and mounts onto the body. No auto aperture, only manual. Open up to meter and focus, stop down to shoot. No TTL. Quality best of the three method. Note: last len element now points towards the subject and no hood to control flare.

Expensive way:

Macro bellows: Manual/Auto bellows for aperture control. Most AF don't work except Novoflex's (correct spelling??).

True Macro lens.
    Would recommend the extension tube.... Though there's a lost of light, but you still get to keep your f stops. '

Wouldn't advice the reversal ring. hard to get one without causing vigneing.

thanks for the advice guys.
    The toys